MP-Pistol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Now that I have already ordered my 10-8 rear sight, I thought I would let you all know that they are in-stock and ready to ship from 10-8 Performance.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
nickdrak said:
Now that have already ordered my 10-8 rear sight, I thought I would let you all know that they are in-stock and ready to ship from 10-8 Performance.

Cool, keep us posted. The pictures that Hilton posted on 10-8 look great!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here's pics of 3 of my M&Ps.

Top=Dan Burwell rear sight, middle=10-8/Hilton Yam rear sight, bottom=Stock Novak rear sight.

Hilton Yam/10-8 rear sight view.

Dan Burwell rear sight view.

Stock rear sight view.

Hilton Yam/10-8 rear sight profile.

Dan Burwell rear sight profile.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize how similar the 10-8 and the Burwell rear sight are. Same basic profile just a different picture shape.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Excellent comparison pics, thank you, gotM4. Can you say if the U-notch improves speed of pick up of the front sight? I saw some pix of the Yam sight paired with an Express dot front, it looked very fast but more precise than the standard Express "V" pairing.

·
Registered
298 Posts
sheepdog said:
Excellent comparison pics, thank you, gotM4. Can you say if the U-notch improves speed of pick up of the front sight? I saw some pix of the Yam sight paired with an Express dot front, it looked very fast but more precise than the standard Express "V" pairing.

I like a u-notch with a fiber front or white dot faster than with a square notch. I use Warren sights on my Glocks, my STI and on my SIG 220. To me my brain naturally centers the dot in the u-notch a little easier. To me a square notch is better when used a plain black front sight.

On my STI and on my M&P9 I use .100" width front sights. These are VERY fast but I do notice a slight loss in precision. For IDPA and USPSA shooting it's not enough to matter as I make a-0 or an A-zone hit quite easily with either front but I prefer a narrow front as I see the target between the sights faster.

·
Registered
373 Posts
gotM4, your run .100 with .125 or .140 rear? I have a thin front (.110?) with .040 (?)fiber optic with a Caspian adjustable rear on my IDPA gun. I think the rear notch is .125 but haven't measured it. I can tell a difference between the stock front and the thin front, that's for certain, lots of light and faster. I either want the dot or a bigger .060 FO in a .140 U notch to try out. I'm wanting to improve my speed on target at the moment more than precision. I have middle aged eye syndrome now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
jtaliani said:
Wow, I didn't realize how similar the 10-8 and the Burwell rear sight are. Same basic profile just a different picture shape.

I have Hiltons sight on my M&P 9 and it is much cleaner to

pick up the front sight. Hilton makes top shelf stuff!!

·
Registered
240 Posts

Sorry for the poor quality. The sight came out great, a snap to install, actually my friend did all the work. I just stood there and wring my hands.

A better picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys,

First of all, thanks for all of your support of 10-8's efforts. For clarification, Hilton's company 10-8 Performance, LLC is actually separate from ours 10-8 Consulting, LLC. We work together with the end goal of bringing top shelf training and products to end users, specifically focused on those who go in harm's way on a daily (nightly) basis.

Like anything else, features of sights are extremely subjective. Some people like Novaks, some like Heinies. Some like square notches, others like U-notches, and others still like the Express Sights. There is no free lunch in any of this. While Hilton and the rest of us are certainly in competition with other manufacturers of sights and other products, that is not to say we do not have a great amount of respect for other makers.

I am proud of what Hilton has developed, and use the 10-8 rear sight on my duty 1911. Its unique features work for me:

1. Machined from heat treated bar stock to better resist dings and dents from duty use

2. Thick blade will accommodate tritium inserts in a three-dot configuration if so desired.

3. U-notch rear intended to be used with a bead, dot, or tritium front sight. Simply put the dot in the U for speed. Does not sacrifice accuracy as technical shots can be made by lining up the front sight blade.

4. Flat, 40lpi serrated rear face minimizes glare and clutter to help draw the shooter's eye to the front sight

If you do not have a need for these features, there are other sights that will fit your needs. While I find the factory Novaks to be serviceable, I prefer Hilton's, but that is just me. There are plenty of great shooters that use different sights and do extremely well with them.

In any case, thanks for all of your support. Smith hit a home run with the M&P and it is nice to see the customer has options if he does not like the factory sights.

Respectfully,

Tim

·
Registered
495 Posts
I went to the 10-8 store when I got home this morning and they are all gone. Was going to order two.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Jester, do you know the notch width? Can't find it at the MP Store info. Serrations? Same height as factory rear?

thanks

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
No serrations, same as factory rear. and I'll have to measure the notch, I don't have my calipers handy...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks Jester and Helmie, I'm clear on what I need now. I think I'll hold out for something with the rear serrations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
nickdrak said:
You can currently purchase H. Yam's 10-8 1911 sights from Berryhill Guns with tritium installed in either straight-8 or two dot configuration. Not sure if Berryhill will be offering the M&P sight directly. You can send your sight to him to have the tritium vials installed. Here is a link: https://www.berryhillguns.com/secure/parts1.html

Thanks for posting this. I'm interested in trying out a bar-dot or two-dot config, but I really don't like the ski-ramp profile of Heinie's and Novak's rear sights. I think I might just get me one of these and a tritium front, give it a try as-is -- then maybe see about having a vial installed in the rear later, if I decide I don't like having tritium only in the front sight.

bigkracka said:
Doesn't look like anything special over stock sights, or Dan's.

For people who are concerned with being able to hook onto stuff for one-handed slide manipulation, the 10-8 and Dan's are both better than the stock (Novak) sights. The "front" of the Novak rears is a flat angled plane and hooking it on something just isn't going to happen. Then there are those that just don't like the Novak's aesthetics.

Is the blade on Dan's design thick enough for the installation of tritium vials? If no, then the 10-8 is the better one for those who like the similarities in those two designs but want tritium.

D.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well,

After installing the 10-8 sight on my M&P40, I dont feel comfortable with it not having the two-dot tritium configuration like the factory Novak's do as this is what I have grown used to over 10+ years on my duty & off-duty guns. I do prefer the sight picture (with lighting), and the snag-prone profile of the 10-8 over the Novak, but I will have to wait until I have the tritium dots installed before I will carry them on my pistol.

Dave Berryhill is not taking any work orders right now, as he is in the middle of a move to a new shop. I will post here when he is set up at the new shop, and is taking new work.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts