MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my new 45 today wondering why S&W chose to go with only a 10 rd mag which is 2-4 rds short of their competitors and a light went off. I wondered.....is it possible that they designed the MP45 anticipating a future restriction on semis to 10 rds??? Did they set out to design a guns who's limited capacity make not excite some now, however it will should such restrictions take place as the MP is the slimmest, best feeling "polymer" 45 available. That said, given the choice post ban, why would anyone want a "fat" Glock/HK, or extremely long butt XD? I also noticed HK did the same with their upcoming HK45....it only has a 10 rd capacity and is much slimmer than the USP it replaces. Should such restrictions take place S&W and HK will have an advantage of the competition. Just my thought................anyone else care to chime in??

·
Registered
93 Posts
wahoo95 said:
Looking at my new 45 today wondering why S&W chose to go with only a 10 rd mag which is 2-4 rds short of their competitors and a light went off. I wondered.....is it possible that they designed the MP45 anticipating a future restriction on semis to 10 rds??? Did they set out to design a guns who's limited capacity make not excite some now, however it will should such restrictions take place as the MP is the slimmest, best feeling "polymer" 45 available. That said, given the choice post ban, why would anyone want a "fat" Glock/HK, or extremely long butt XD? I also noticed HK did the same with their upcoming HK45....it only has a 10 rd capacity and is much slimmer than the USP it replaces. Should such restrictions take place S&W and HK will have an advantage of the competition. Just my thought................anyone else care to chime in??

You might have something there. Plus if you can't get it done with 10 rounds of 45ACP then.....well you get the point!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe the MP, SIG HK45, Beretta 45 and Tauras 45 were all built to the specs given for the new handgun trials. Those trials were canceled I believe, but they did spec out that they wanted a .45 caliber pistol that held 10 rounds, was compatible to 95% of users, and had a manual safety.

You will find these designs are a lot more alike then they are different.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
To fit more rounds, the grip has to be fatter or longer. I think S&W was trying to keep the grip size down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As falnovice stated the 10 round magazine capacity comes from the specs for the joint service pistol. There's no underlying message or "fortelling of the future"...while a new magazine law may come to being it's not why Smith chose 10 rounds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
OMEGASRT308 said:
PERSONALLY IF YOU NEED MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS TO DROP THE TANGO YOU MIGHT AS WELL HAND HIM THE GUN AND APOLOGIZE

Don't know if you've ever been in a stressful situation or not, but things don't always go as planned/predicted/hoped for. Misses, FTF's, FTE's are all possible. Also, just because you get a solid hit does not mean the threat will stop. That is why all police officers carry at least three mags for their duty weapon and one or two for their back-up, if they have one. With two magazines on my back up, I carry over 50 rounds when I'm on duty. (34 in my Beretta, 21 for my M&Pc)

·
Registered
42 Posts
i probably should have been a little more specific for one target 10 rds is more than enough.

now i have unfortunatley been in some intense situations. now my standard duty load with a pistol is 41 rounds and i carry apox 300 for ar-15

·
Registered
72 Posts
And exactly how many rounds have you expended in your "stressful situations"?

If 10 rounds won't do it ....reload

The grip is optimally sized IMHO.....there is no reason to make it fatter or longer just so it can get to some magic number that no two people will ever agree on anyway

For CC...the grip is the most troublesome part to conceal

Their "competition" has grips that are too fat(glock21) or too long (XD)

My M&P is easily as comfortable in my hand as my 1911's....and I get 10 rounds without an extended base

I am fine with 10 rounds...as long as I can get some more magazines

·
Registered
72 Posts
Then I would move to a safer neighborhood

Or carry a rifle......if you are serious, then I assume you are/were in a war zone and using a rifle

Handguns are all pitiful popguns

They are convenient but they are not powerful...you will likely need to shoot someone several times to stop them....but......

As Pat Rogers put it about AR's...the average civillian is unlikely to get into a conflict where 28 rounds will not solve the problem ( I know...jokes on me when the zombies attack)

So three mags of 10 and one in the pipe will likely be all most of us need in a sidearm

If you need more firepower than that I would suggest switching to the M&P9

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh...and I like the line about handing him the weapon and apologizing

Louis Awerbuck has a joke about magazine commonality...he says if your partner has used up all his ammo and you are still in the shitz then the last thing you should do is let him waste any of yours

·
Registered
42 Posts
a 9mm has never been a popular round for me but from the expierence of having to use my 45 as a secondary wepon it has been used unfortunatlley with great succes. i do agree the average person would not need more than 20 rounds

·
Registered
186 Posts
As falnovice stated the 10 round magazine capacity comes from the specs for the joint service pistol. There's no underlying message or "fortelling of the future"...while a new magazine law may come to being it's not why Smith chose 10 rounds.
Bingo!

And that's why it has a 4.5in barrel (vs 4.25" like 9mm and .40 versions), ...Beretta Px4 .45 has an extanded barrel btw...

Oh I don't buy the 10 rounds should be enough theroy, the more the better! You don't know how many rounds you would need. Plus it's always better to have a few extra rounds and not need it, than to need them and not have 'em

·
Registered
115 Posts
gsteve said:
id rather have a gun that fits my hand than one that holds 1/2 a box of ammo but shoots like krap

Ditto

If you want a higher capacity .45 then buy the glock or xd. When did 10 rounds of 45 become not enough fire power.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only time you can have to much ammo is when you are swimming. That said, the bigger .45's are well .. big. If you can make a grip sized for the average human hand which fits 10rd of .45 vs one only fits 30% of human hands but holds 12, I'd say make the one the holds 10.

·
Registered
42 Posts
LISTEN FELLAS HIGH CAPACITY MAGS ARE ALL WELL AND GOOD SO IF YOU WANT FEWER RELOADS FINE HIGH CAPACITY MAGS. BUT IF THATS THE ONLY REASON JUST CARRY MORE 10 RD MAGS

PERSANALLY I CHALK IT UP TO SHOOTERS PRFERENCE

1 - 20 of 32 Posts