MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

just wondering about the gas system on these bad boys, are they carbine length or mid length? ive never actually looked at on it person and with the 10" rail on there, its hard to tell in the pics. thinking about turning my 15A into a 15T. thanks alot

kirby

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alos wanted to ask, if i did this i would be using the troy 10 in FF handguard which would require a low profile gas block. will the troy(or other brands of low profile gas blocks) fit over the flash hider so i dont have remove it just to put the low profile gas block on? thanks alot again

kirby

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I believe the S&W has a carbine length gas system.

I also believe you will have to remove the flash hider to change out the gas block.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I believe the S&W has a carbine length gas system.

I also believe you will have to remove the flash hider to change out the gas block.
The vast majority of AR's are made that way, clamp on gas blocks are available but not common.

·
Registered
78 Posts
question, if i were to want to change the gas system on the 15T to a gas piston system, would the troy rail sytem have to be replaced? i know ARES, PWS and KKKEVO (sp?) atleast three manufacturers thich are making after market gas piston systems. Think one day S&W will make a gas piston system??R/Jet

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
This whole gas piston thing is vastly over rated, they seem to forget the history as to just why it was considered to be a really good idea to make a new design without a gas piston. Gas piston system had been thoroughly tested in the M1 and M14, the gas piston system could be problematic, the pistons would crack, get loose, fall out, generally causing havoc with the gas system, in other words anything goes wrong with the piston the rifle becomes a bolt action at best, and at worst so thoroughly jammed as to be useless.

So this young engineer had a bright idea, he's going to use aerospace materials and a much simplified gas system that doesn't use a piston, it was revolutionary, and it worked, and worked quite well, a definite improvement over the old piston system! Now some companies are ignoring the lessons of history and installed complicated gas systems, and selling the retrograde as an improvement, sorry...it's not really an improvement!

·
Registered
648 Posts
G56 said:
This whole gas piston thing is vastly over rated, they seem to forget the history as to just why it was considered to be a really good idea to make a new design without a gas piston. Gas piston system had been thoroughly tested in the M1 and M14, the gas piston system could be problematic, the pistons would crack, get loose, fall out, generally causing havoc with the gas system, in other words anything goes wrong with the piston the rifle becomes a bolt action at best, and at worst so thoroughly jammed as to be useless.

So this young engineer had a bright idea, he's going to use aerospace materials and a much simplified gas system that doesn't use a piston, it was revolutionary, and it worked, and worked quite well, a definite improvement over the old piston system! Now some companies are ignoring the lessons of history and installed complicated gas systems, and selling the retrograde as an improvement, sorry...it's not really an improvement!

I have spoken to Larry Vickers at length about gas piston driven AR's and their worth. A piston system is a good idea in the following situations:

14.5" or below barrel length.

If you run a gun on Full Auto.

If you run a suppressor on an SBR.

A 16" weapon with a carbine gas system is border line on whether a gas piston would be helpful or not. I am of the opinion that it would be.

Where gas pistons have no place at all (IMHO) is on 16" barrels with mid-length gas systems and 20" AR's with rifle length gas systems.

C4

F

·
0 Posts
Spend your money

I guess if you must spend your money on something why not :roll: Or maybe spend it on more plastic Mags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts