MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that they will be offering extended mags for the 45, what about the 9?

So has anyone heard if they are going to come out and maybe when? I'm thinking that IPSC and IDPA are 30-36 round courses (around here at least) and 17+1+17=35=crap

I actually have a 9c but I use the full size mags for competing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but it isn't feasible to do that in the middle of a run...

like I said, 17 + 1 + 17 (reload) =35. I need 36 total from what I understand.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Any of the courses I have taken require multiple reloads. No training that I know of would let you use extended round mags. You just need to buy a 3rd mag.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just think of the poor 1911 guys and you'll feel better

Think of it as extra reloading practice! You can do tactical reloads too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not talking about training courses so to speak. The courses that I run are IPSC and require no minimun reloads. I shoot IPSC for that reason. I have (2) 12 round mags and (1) 17 round mag so far. I didn't want to buy another 17 rounder (to get through most courses with one reload) and then have the 18 (or more) rounders come out right after that. That kind of thing happens to me all of the time.

I can definately appreciate the practice reloading but I would like to get one better score each night as well. I shoot IPSC with my carry weapon so that I can have more practical practice with the gun I'll mostly need, if ever. I also like to get a good score too. And if I have really really really good shot placement then I won't need to reaload so much anyway.

At the little matches I go to there is a guy that uses 20 round mags... CZ Tactical Sports came with 20 round mags stock I believe. What's so crazy about wanting one more round?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Will the mags for the M&P in .40 S&W hold and feed 9 mm?

Don't laugh, I have a Sig Pro 2009 (9mm) and the 10-round magazines made for the Sig Pro 2340 (same pistol in .40 S&W/.357 Sig) hold 12 9 mm rounds and feed them with total reliability. Maybe the M&P .40 mags will hold more 9 mm rounds and work ok.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
johndoe1027 said:
I am not talking about training courses so to speak. The courses that I run are IPSC and require no minimun reloads. I shoot IPSC for that reason. I have (2) 12 round mags and (1) 17 round mag so far. I didn't want to buy another 17 rounder (to get through most courses with one reload) and then have the 18 (or more) rounders come out right after that. That kind of thing happens to me all of the time.

I can definately appreciate the practice reloading but I would like to get one better score each night as well. I shoot IPSC with my carry weapon so that I can have more practical practice with the gun I'll mostly need, if ever. I also like to get a good score too. And if I have really really really good shot placement then I won't need to reaload so much anyway.

At the little matches I go to there is a guy that uses 20 round mags... CZ Tactical Sports came with 20 round mags stock I believe. What's so crazy about wanting one more round?

I also shoot my M&P 9mm in IPSC. Actually USPSA.

In production division, we can only have 10 rounds per mag anyway. I usually carry 5 mags; and sometimes I use all of them on 1 stage!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
CHECK YOUR MAGS

Check your mags....BOTH of my mags hold 18 rounds and have worked without a hitch. (650 rounds through the gun, loaded up with 18+1)

·
Registered
307 Posts
johndoe1027 said:

I can definately appreciate the practice reloading but I would like to get one better score each night as well. I shoot IPSC with my carry weapon so that I can have more practical practice with the gun I'll mostly need, if ever. I also like to get a good score too. And if I have really really really good shot placement then I won't need to reaload so much anyway. :p

If you are interested in using your carry gun for IPSC then why worry about one more round capacity in a mag? Larger capacity magazines are often not as reliable as stock.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
johndoe1027 said:
yeah but it isn't feasible to do that in the middle of a run...

like I said, 17 + 1 + 17 (reload) =35. I need 36 total from what I understand.

Well your max round count should only be 32. Rule 1.2.1.3

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will the mags for the M&P in .40 S&W hold and feed 9 mm?
You know, I never thought to try that. Maybe someone that has both 9mm and 40 M&P's will try it for us.

Yukon, your courses are much different than mine. If I run Ltd 10, then I can only use 10 per mag but I run ltd for that reason. I thought about running one Ltd 10 (once I get one more mag) and one Ltd run each night to get more practice reloading. This would still let me get a good score overall for the night too.

Check your mags....BOTH of my mags hold 18 rounds and have worked without a hitch. (650 rounds through the gun, loaded up with 18+1)
A very nice gentleman sent me a PM yesterday saying the same thing until he checked again. He then reported back that they are in fact 17 round mags. S&W advertises 17+1 capacity. Then I'll be damned, I go and try to push one more into my 17 rounder and it went in! Why would S&W say it's a 17rnd if it will hold 18? Has anyone else tried this? Why hasn't anyone else noticed this? Should I ask more questions?

If you are interested in using your carry gun for IPSC then why worry about one more round capacity in a mag? Larger capacity magazines are often not as reliable as stock.
I can definately appreciate the practice reloading but I would like to get one better score each night as well. I shoot IPSC with my carry weapon so that I can have more practical practice with the gun I'll mostly need, if ever. I also like to get a good score too.
And I use the factory S&W full size mags in the compact so there is no reliability issue.

Well, it looks like I already had a 18 round mag!
Now I just need one more to get through a Ltd course with one reload and then I can do Ltd-10 as well.

Thanks readyme. I had tried it before but apparently I did not try hard enough. I didn't think it was going to go all of they way in but it did. Since you've had no reliability issues I think I'll try it too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well your max round count should only be 32. Rule 1.2.1.3
Thanks for that. I did not know, I just go on what they say. I think we bend the rules a bit at the matches I go to (maybe because we do one course for IPSC and IDPA?). I don't care about that really, I'm just there for the practice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
One of my Beretta 9mm mags acually holds 16 instead of 15 rounds. The only problem with being lucky enough to get that extra round in the mag is it won't go into the gun with the slide closed. Check it out before you go out to the range.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will do that. I usually am inserting mags with the slide back (at the range while plinking) but I do try to tac reload during matches if possible.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have forgot to insert it with the slide forward but I did send three 18 round mags downrange with no problems..............................................

·
Registered
936 Posts
Why would you shoot 9mm in a hi cap division? (Im assuming Limited division)

The high shooting .40 major would eat you alive.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
um, what? I don't understand your question. I seem to do fine against them here. It doesn't look like I got penalized for my "insufficient" caliber. In fact there are several guys that I beat the crap of regularly that use 45ACP and 357 sig.

I'm starting to think that these guys don't use all of the rules or something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts