MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is what I want- I want a cheap 1911 that I can build upon as time goes on. Being in college right now I can't afford to go with the Damascus Caspian that I dream of. I have heard of RIA and Springfield as possible choices, and I have even heard good things of Taurus. The main requirement of this build is that I want to be able to have this gun compatible with all of the custom guns like wilson, caspian, and brown. The idea is to be able to add to the gun as I get some spare money to work on it. The configuration I would like to start with is a 5'' 45, a double stack would be amazing.I would like to spend around the 500 mark or less...I know this really limits what I can get but for a first 1911 it is about what I can do right now. I also want the gun to be somewhat accurate out of the box.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Two nice platforms to start with would be the Springfield or RIA GI, with preference toward Springfield. Another possibility is the RIA Tactical. If you watch www.gunsamerica.com you should be able to find this for low to mid $400 with shipping. That model comes with a skeletonized trigger and hammer, beavertailed grip safety, plus novak dovetailed front and rear sights. The Springfield is probably a little better of a base platform but the RIA Tactical will come much better equipped out of the box. http://www.gunsamerica.com/976914171/Guns/...ACTICAL_NEW.htm

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You will not find anything double stacked in that $ range. I don't think that you will want to spend a lot of money on anything that you can buy in that range for competition shooting down the road. If you want a "good" 45 to get started with buy the Springfield Loaded model. It will run in the 700 range, but it will have everything you need!! When you get more money down the road and want a doublestacker get an STI or SVI. JMHO

Good luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm not going to start shooting it as a comp gun until I have a new frame, a new slide, and every part is new and trick. Is the only thing that makes a 1911 a double stack the frame? That way if I want to add a new frame in a year I can go to a double stack.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I would buy a good quality single stack for now, then when you get more $ get a complete double stack (STI or SVI), I don't recommend mixing tops on multiple lowers. I like to have a top for each lower in a handgun or AR. Do what you want, just my thoughts!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
you can get a double stack para ordnance at buds gun shop for the 600-700 range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts