MP-Pistol Forum banner

1st match with M&P

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  billdncn 
#1 ·
Went rather well. After doing a trigger job (3.75lbs. Thanks to Dan Burwell) I reinstalled the rear sight, and didn't get a chance to sight in. Just eye balled it.

I shot the M&P as my second gun in a local IDPA match so the score didn't count. That's a shame too because I would have finished 3rd out of 35 shooters.

I have yet to find an accurate load for this gun. I shot precision 147's over 231 which only groups about 3" at 15 with some minor, periodically tumbling issues and flyers. They performed well though. I did change the oal and up the charge a bit with the batch I used. Didn't get to test them before the match either. Don't think it likes the heavier bullets. I'll be trying 124's next.

Anyway, given the circumstances I was very pleased. Having smaller hands I like the grip options, and the trigger better then my Glocks. I believe my splits were faster with the M&P too.

Can't wait to find a load it really likes!

Bill

BTW, now I know why J. Goloski, E. Langdon, Scott Warren , and a host of others are shooting the M&P

See less See more
#4 ·
coltman1985 said:
...I am switching over to the M&P for USPSA currently, waiting for a good extended round basepad. Shoots much better than my G17 in IDPA too!

Oh come on you wus. :wink:

A good friend of mine is doing just fine with 15 round mags in Limited. You would also be fine shooting Production and Limited 10.

What are you waiting for??? :wink:

#6 ·
124gr. XTP

4.1gr. TiteGroup

1.120" OAL

I have shot several 1.5" groups at 25 yards with this load.

Also, I haven't tried messing with the OAL to see what happens. I think with some tuning, I could shoot 1" groups with this.

I'm going to order 1K of the 125gr. HAP and see what I can do.

#7 ·
Hornady® Tap™ Handgun .40 S&W® 155 Gr. TAP-FPD averages $15 per box for 20rds.

Are you shooting competition with top (price-)range personal defense ammo?

#8 ·
SCFireFighter said:
Hornady® Tap™ Handgun .40 S&W® 155 Gr. TAP-FPD averages $15 per box for 20rds.

Are you shooting competition with top (price-)range personal defense ammo?
I'm not sure if that is directed to me or not. I guess I will give it a shot anyway!!! :wink:

I sometimes reload using Hornady XTP bullets. That is the same bullet that is used in TAP ammo. It just happens to be a very accurate design. The problem is that the XTP bullets are expensive.

I pay about $128 for 1000 XTP bullets. That is expensive, even if you are reloading.

Hornady has designed a new bullet just for competition. It's called the HAP (Hornady Action Pistol). It is basically a XTP with no grooves to facilitate expansion. You get the benefits of the awesome XTP HP design, without the details needed for expansion.

The HAP are still expensive. I can buy 1000 of them for about $85. I won't know if they are worth it until I test them side by side some all lead bullets.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

#9 ·
YukonGlocker said:
124gr. XTP

4.1gr. TiteGroup

1.120" OAL

I have shot several 1.5" groups at 25 yards with this load.

Also, I haven't tried messing with the OAL to see what happens. I think with some tuning, I could shoot 1" groups with this.

I'm going to order 1K of the 125gr. HAP and see what I can do.

Similar to a load I was shooting. 125gr Zero JHP over 4.2 grs. of TG at 1.140".

I'm getting away from jacketed bullets to keep cost down.

I've pretty much settled on moly's.

#11 ·
YukonGlocker said:
Which moly do you like the best?

Do you have a good load for it?

So far I've only tried Precision's (moly), and Masterblaster's (polymer). My G35 really likes MB's 180gr. TC with 3.6grs. of 231 (40 minor) and 4.6grs. (40 major). Although my 40 major load only Crono'd 165.8 at the Va/Md sectioals this year

My M&P dosen't like neither in the 147gr. That's why I'm going to try the Masterblaster 125 gr. RN. Right now Precision is not able to make there 124gr. right now due to a heavy increase in sales :?

My 1911 shoots anything So I just use lead for that

With that said I can't say I like anything the best .....yet.

Hope this helps

#12 ·
Are your loads supersonic?

When a bullet breaks the sound barrier, it inherently loses *some* of its accuracy, specifically at longer ranges where each factor comes into play exponentially. If your rounds are flying around 1200 fps, maybe you should knock them down to 1100fps or up the size of the bullet to compensate. You may find it more accurate this way...you might not. YMMV. Just food for thought, ya know?

#13 ·
This probably won't do the original poster much good due to power factor requirements but-

My most accurate load in my full size 9mm so far has been with the Lee TL 124 2R (round nose) bullet cast out of wheel weights and lubed with LLA. With 3.6 grains of W231, it will shoot a group of .65" at 7 yards from the bench. It groups one inch high.

I shoot for group at this range because this is the distance to the targets for our steel plate shoots. I haven't shot any of these loads at longer distances, yet.

rjs

#14 ·
Onuma said:
Are your loads supersonic?

When a bullet breaks the sound barrier, it inherently loses *some* of its accuracy, specifically at longer ranges where each factor comes into play exponentially. If your rounds are flying around 1200 fps, maybe you should knock them down to 1100fps or up the size of the bullet to compensate. You may find it more accurate this way...you might not. YMMV. Just food for thought, ya know?

I have not Crono'd, but they should only be 900 or so fps.

I'm switching up here, and ordered Berry's 124gr. RN DS. I'm expecting better results with these. I'll be loading these to about 1050 fps.

To all here. Thanks for the help, and your input.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.