MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my M&P 9mm Thursday and took it to the range tonight. Figured 400 rounds was a good nights break in. Here is how it went. This is from someone who loves 1911s and has been carrying a HK P2000 for the last year as a CCW gun. I shot this gun much better than the HK, I liked it from the 1st shot. Had a couple of problems though, which is more than I have had with the HK. Had two complete failures to extract. The empty was just left in the chamber, closing the slide a second time pulled it out with no problem. Other problem is one of the two mags seems to have a week spring. If you loaded 12 rounds or less things were fine. If you loaded it up with more the rounds would rattle insided indicating that they didn't line up properly. Two time the mag had 2 rounds wedged together stopping feeding. Loved the gun but not sure it will replace the HK yet to bet my life one since the HK has never had a failure in 16 months and 3400 rounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Toledo. After reading many other range reports last night I should probably update mine with this little piece of information. The two failures to extract were with WWB also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
UPS - I had one FTE with my M&P as well. It happened around round 800 and left the empty case in the chamber. I haven't spent much time troubleshooting the issue yet but I've heard of it happening on more than one occasion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
300 of the 400 rounds were WWB, seems like everyone that has posted a failure to extract was with these rounds. The last 100 were Remington UMC 115 HPs, no problems with those. I was amazed at the amount of brass shavings inside the mags when I took them apart today to clean and check for differences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
UPSguy said:
300 of the 400 rounds were WWB, seems like everyone that has posted a failure to extract was with these rounds. The last 100 were Remington UMC 115 HPs, no problems with those. I was amazed at the amount of brass shavings inside the mags when I took them apart today to clean and check for differences.


I'm not considering the ammo at this point. I've literally shot tens of thousands of WWB rounds through my Glocks without a single issue so I don't see why I would suddenly start having a problem with it in my M&P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
m4arc said:
[quote name='UPSguy']300 of the 400 rounds were WWB, seems like everyone that has posted a failure to extract was with these rounds. The last 100 were Remington UMC 115 HPs, no problems with those. I was amazed at the amount of brass shavings inside the mags when I took them apart today to clean and check for differences.


I'm not considering the ammo at this point. I've literally shot tens of thousands of WWB rounds through my Glocks without a single issue so I don't see why I would suddenly start having a problem with it in my M&P.[/quote]I have too and really don't think it is the ammo, but it seems to be a common link of the people posting with failures to extract. I have a call into S&W, will see wha they say when they call back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
UPSguy said:
[quote name='m4arc'][quote name='UPSguy']300 of the 400 rounds were WWB, seems like everyone that has posted a failure to extract was with these rounds. The last 100 were Remington UMC 115 HPs, no problems with those. I was amazed at the amount of brass shavings inside the mags when I took them apart today to clean and check for differences.


I'm not considering the ammo at this point. I've literally shot tens of thousands of WWB rounds through my Glocks without a single issue so I don't see why I would suddenly start having a problem with it in my M&P.[/quote]I have too and really don't think it is the ammo, but it seems to be a common link of the people posting with failures to extract. I have a call into S&W, will see wha they say when they call back.[/quote]



Please keep me posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. I am hoping these two little glitches get worked out as I immediately shot the MP better than my HK. Maybe not as good as my 1911 that is back at RRAs but awfully close for a first time at the range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Compact problems....

My MP40 full sized has never had any kind of failure. My newish MP9 compact has had a few issues. I put about 200 rounds through it previously at the range and had 2 failure to feeds. The slide was locked back with the last round still in the magazine both times.

Sunday, 1/7/7 at the range I put about 200 more rounds through it and had 2 failure to feeds but this time the round was caught at the feed throat going into the feed ramp (hope I'm saying this right). Both rounds that failed to feed had crimped casings. The casings were pushed up a little exposing a rough edge. The ammo was WWB that I always use in both my guns at the range.

Is this a problem I should address with S & W or do you think it will disappear as the gun is broken in? Picture of crimped casings below.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
S&W just called me back, they are sending me a new mag. Hope they know I have full caps, not 10 rounders. Was a quick call, didn't get to discuss the FTEs. I'll try it again this weekend and see if I have any more and report back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well took the M&P to the range tonight for its 2nd session. Shot 200 rounds of WWB, 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 FMJ and 100 rounds of Remington UMC 115 HP. I love the way this gun shoots and feels, BUT!!!!! I had 3 more FTEs with the WWB and one with the Blazer Brass. There were no other malfuntions of any kind in the 800 rounds total through this weapon. I took my wife shooting, it has been a long time since our schedules have worked out to go shooting together. She did very well for how long it has been since she shot last and she did much better with this than our HK. BUTT!!!!!!! I still cannot trust this weapon completely yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
UPSguy said:
Well took the M&P to the range tonight for its 2nd session. Shot 200 rounds of WWB, 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 FMJ and 100 rounds of Remington UMC 115 HP. I love the way this gun shoots and feels, BUT!!!!! I had 3 more FTEs with the WWB and one with the Blazer Brass. There were no other malfuntions of any kind in the 800 rounds total through this weapon. I took my wife shooting, it has been a long time since our schedules have worked out to go shooting together. She did very well for how long it has been since she shot last and she did much better with this than our HK. BUTT!!!!!!! I still cannot trust this weapon completely yet.




I'd give smith a call and have them look at it!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top