MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to research this and I swear no one really knows. I want to get a heavier spring for my 2.0 M&P40 5". Everyone swears the guide rods and springs are all the same between the 1.0, 2.0, 4.25", and 5". I can clearly see the rod/spring are different between my 1.0 4.25" and 2.0 5". Is it only the 2.0 5" that uses a different longer rod and spring? Has anyone actually switched springs in a 2.0 5"? Where can I get a heavier spring that works?

This isn't my picture but you can see a 2.0 5" on the top and a 1.0 5" on the bottom. Clearly different rod and spring.

·
Site Staff
9,600 Posts
I have one of the original series 5" in 9mm and it uses the exact same spring as my standard size 40. The bottom spring shown in your photo is not a stock spring for a pro series 5", the stock spring looks like your top spring.

To change recoil spring weight you have to go aftermarket, Wolff is well known for their springs, you have to buy a Wolff guide rod and then you can buy whatever spring you want, stock spring is 16 pounds. Be advised aftermarket springs aren't captured springs like stock, so it makes them harder to put together after taking it apart to clean it.

I went with a Wolff guide rod and a 15 pound spring on my pro series so it would work with my standard 9mm handloads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1.0 4.25" and the rod/spring is exactly as shown in the picture. My 2.0 5" is also exactly as shown in the picture. I can take a picture of my own stock 1.0 and 2.0 with different rod/springs if you want. I even asked S&W. They didn't give me much of an answer but they said they are different.

·
Site Staff
9,600 Posts
Both my full size 40 and my Pro Series 5" use exactly the same spring, and both look like your top spring, the only difference might be the length and you didn't give the length of the spring. The Pro Series was purchased about 5 yrs after the full size I have. It is possible they changed the spring later, I don't know if they did that or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I took a picture of my own 1.0 and 2.0 to show it's the same as the other persons pic. I don't know if something was changed in design, if it's only the 2.0 5" that is changed, or what. All I know is all the springs available are the shorter ones and everyone insists they're all the same. They are certainly not interchangeable. I tried just to be sure.

·
Site Staff
9,600 Posts
To clarify in my own mind, the 2.0 is the one on the right in desert sand color?

When I got my 5" Pro Series I thought it would have a longer spring, but when I tore it down it didn't, it used the same spring as my full size. If the 5" desert sand model shown in the photo has a longer spring, then they have changed it.

My previous statement about the spring on the left in the top photo being different, the photo fooled me, it appeared it had a dual spring set up, but your photo shows it was just the blue paint they used on the springs and that is normal.

Reactions: haroldg48

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right is the 5" 2.0. Left is a 4.25" 1.0. I'm thinking it's only the 5" 2.0 that has been changed to the new longer rod/spring. Galloway asked me to send in my spring and rod so they could make a new product based on it. Maybe I'll do that. Thanks for your help G56.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To add to the confusion I have 3 2.0 series pistols. Two of witch are 5" guns, and each of them has a different length factory guide rod assembly. The top two guide rod assemblies are from 5" 2.0 pistols. The middle guide rod assembly from my 9mm 2.0 is the same length as my (no longer owned) 5" 1.0 and 4.25" guns. The bottom spring assembly is from my 4" 2.0. All are factory. The 9mm 2.0 is the model with the loaded chamber indicator and has a noticeably stacking feel to the slide when retracted compared to any other M&P I've owned. That is that instead of feeling pretty much the same thru the travel of the slide, it gets considerably harder to retract as it moves backwards. It is also noticeably softer shooting than any others I have owned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an fde 2.0 5 inch slide and it came with the blue paint spring/guiderod. It seems smith n wesson used longer springs in some of their 5 inchers and shorter springs in others. Nice way to confuse us

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got an fde 5 incher MP 2.0 and it came with blue paint on front of spring.

The Frank Proctor spring/rod setup seems identical in length, maybe you got a rare model or someone changed the spring/rod before u took ownership.
If there s another fde 2.0 mp with a longer spring then that odd IMG_20191104_235313_1572932499874.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts