MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice. I have about 2k rounds through my 2.0 compact. I was organizing a new range bag on my workbench. I’ll spare you the details but the unloaded gun fell out of a removable Velcro pocket. I didn’t see how it hit the concrete floor of my basement. I field stripped the gun and I didn’t see any problems. Then over the next couple of months, I took a couple of trips to the range. Also did some dry fire practice at home using snap caps. I noticed the wear on the bottom edge of the slide and the top of the slide stop. I took it to a local gunsmith with S&W certification. He checked it out. Thought it was normal wear. But the gun just didn’t feel right to me. Then covid-19 hit. No more range time, just some dry fire practice. So I did a closer inspection and saw some other wear spots. Doesn’t look like normal wear to me. You can also see some markings on the snap cap. Please see pics.

What do you think is causing the wear? Is this fixable or at least stop it from getting worse? Should I take it back to the gunsmith or send it to S&W and ask about the wear? Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.

2.0 slide stop wear on slide.jpg
2.0 slide stop wear.jpg
2.0 slide wear 1.jpg
2.0 slide wear 2.jpg
2.0 slide wear 3.jpg
Snap Caps.jpg

·
Registered
308 Posts
All looks normal to me. There are going to be contact points where the finish wears off.

Are you lubing the pistol? I would make sure the contact points are all lubed properly. I use a light coating of Super Lube synthetic grease on sliding areas and LP oil on anything else that requires lubrication.

What doesn't feel right? As long as it functions consistently I would think there wasn't any damage from the fall. A thin coating of grease on the sliding surfaces goes a long way to smoothing out the slides action.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Normal wear marks at 200 rounds. Wear marks are a badge of honor. You are using and shooting your pistol !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jkv45, Rick M, Canyon Man, thanks for your replies. They were helpful. I've only owned two guns. The first was the M&P 2.0 full size. But I traded it in for the 2.0 compact when it came out. It just fits me better. I've taken a defensive pistol class as well as a private lesson when I got the full size 2.0. I clean and lub gun as specified in the manual. I'll have to revisit posts concerning best products for mantanence. But in my classes, reading articles, and watching videos, I did not learn what would be considered "normal" wear. The wear in the pics started showing up since the "drop." Because of the Covid-19, I haven't been to the range. But will do so soon and will see if the gun still functions well. Again, thanks for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts