MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I saw on another site (think it was the forums for pistol-training.com) and noticed they do a 2000 round challenge where they shoot that many rounds without cleaning or anything else. There are a couple of minor rules and you need to record any missfires,breakages, whatever else happens if anything.

ANyone here do this kind of thing, is it bad to not clean your gun for that many rounds.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My M&P9 was the first Smith to be reported. Not surprisingly, it passed the test. All of the shooting was done over just two days!

The thread can be found at this linkhttp://9x19mm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176. It was also mentioned at pistol-training.comhttp://pistol-training.com/archives/24. Basically, you clean & lubricate the gun per manufacturer recommendation before the test begins, and then you can't clean or lubricate it (or do anything else but carry & shoot it) for the next 2,000 rounds.

In my opinion, a quality firearm suitable for personal defense should continue to work under these conditions. However, ignoring manufacturer-recommended maintenance procedures can lead to accelerated wear on your pistol.

So far, there have been:
  • Glocks = 3 tested, all passed
  • H&K = 2 tested, all passed
  • Ruger = 1 tested, passed
  • SIG = 5 tested, four passed & one failed
  • Smith = 1 tested, passed

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My M&P 40 went 4000+ rounds without being cleaned. Only issues were one piece of remington UMC 180gr which just didn't go off. Took three strikes to make it go boom. I had 4 squibs due to my powder drop having issues. I also had one high primer, also my fault. The gun even fired and cycled some 110pf ammo i made without issue.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
raz-0 said:
My M&P 40 went 4000+ rounds without being cleaned. Only issues were one piece of remington UMC 180gr which just didn't go off. Took three strikes to make it go boom. I had 4 squibs due to my powder drop having issues. I also had one high primer, also my fault. The gun even fired and cycled some 110pf ammo i made without issue.

raz-0 -- did you ever put any lube on between the first shot and the last?

The rules of the Challenge set up a procedure for dealing with misfires. However, one stoppage in 4,000 rounds means obviously there was some 2,000-round run without a stoppage. Still, we have always run the Challenge as a specific intended period of shooting, so just having 2k rounds of trouble-free service sometime in the past hasn't really qualified.

While you'd have to report the squibs, squibs are clearly not gun-related stoppages so they wouldn't count against being declared a success.

Not surprised your M&P ran so well, but a 110pf load? Sheesh! Were you using the stock recoil spring?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts