MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new pistol to me so I'm looking to get opinions on what works and what does not in terms of what this pistol likes or has trouble with. Doing target shooting.

Thanks
Rogen

·
Registered
84 Posts
CCI Mini mags and Stingers is all that I will use. They will run 100% every single time. I've tried the bulk stuff and only had about a 90% success rate.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The CCI Blazer 525 value pack is the only bulk that has been 100% for me so far. It's a little dirtier than the Mini Mags, but not by much and it has about the same velocity.

Good luck finding either one these days.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I did a 25 yard sandbag test with various types of ammo, five groups of five shots each:
CCI Mini-Mag 36gr HP held the tightest groups at 2" or less, no malfunctions.
CCI Mini-Mag 40gr solid point, 3" groups, no malfunctions.
Remington Golden 36gr HP, 4" groups, no malfunctions (this is the newest batch, with good primers)
Federal Champion 36gr HP, 6" groups, with about a quarter of them causing the slide to short cycle. The slide came back enough to eject the fired casing, but not enough to strip a new round from the magazine and chamber it. My daughter's Walther P-22 did the same thing, though my Ruger 22/45 didn't.
This tells me that the Federal are inconsistant, with some being weaker than others, hence the wide groups, short cycling slide and the empty casing only kicking out about a foot from the gun, as opposed to the other types kicking out 3-4 feet.
The group sizes averaged about the same in all 3 guns.
On another day, my shooting buddy brought along a chronograph and to no surprise the CCI Mini-Mag averaged about 30 FPS deviation, whereas the Federals averaged about 80FPS deviation.
I shoot Steel Challenge and a rimfire version of IDPA with my M&P22 and I need the best groups I can get, as a miss is a loss.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine seems to eat anything i feed it, if you decide to change out the sights (it was a must for me) be prepared to do some filing. I must say this is a very fun little gun good for first time shooters!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Mine's not too picky once it was broke in. CCI are the best way to go,but mine like the Federal 550 bulk too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your replies. I'm looking forward to spending some time at the range. I'll look for deals on the ammo you mentioned.

Can't find anything at this point - as I'm sure you are all aware.

All the best. Thank for the input.
Rogen

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Has anyone heard of CCI Mini Mags gumming up the magazine?
Nope...! I shoot thousands of them a year, never one issue ever. If they`re gumming up your gun, you aren`t cleaning your gun enough in between shoots.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nope...! I shoot thousands of them a year, never one issue ever. If they`re gumming up your gun, you aren`t cleaning your gun enough in between shoots.
Great! I had read this somewhere else, but I haven't had the problem because I just got my 22 compact. I've only been able to put ten rounds through it! I did notice that the magazine is a little loos, but some other posters who have the compact said the same is true of their gun.
I have some other types of 22 to try in mine, just to see if it will work, but I plan on using almost exclusively 40 gr mini mags, even though I have to order them online.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Great! I had read this somewhere else, but I haven't had the problem because I just got my 22 compact. I've only been able to put ten rounds through it! I did notice that the magazine is a little loos, but some other posters who have the compact said the same is true of their gun.
I have some other types of 22 to try in mine, just to see if it will work, but I plan on using almost exclusively 40 gr mini mags, even though I have to order them online.
I`m guessing its a M&P22 pistol...?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The M&P22 should shoot pretty good... after all, its made by walther/germany...
BUT, .22`s are very dirty, so keep it clean, you`ll not have as many issues.

I shoot a lot of FEDERAL bulk .22 ammo, no issues. CCI just works...period.
(w/exception to remington and winchester ammo... it`s JUNK)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought an MP22 and a Ruger SR22. Both are great. Always liked CCI ammo. At one point though I tried some Aquila Super Extra. Red, yellow and white box. Found it to be equal to CCI and much cheaper. I like the MP22 just a bit better than the Ruger . Mainly because of it big gun feel in my hand.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The M&P22 should shoot pretty good... after all, its made by walther/germany...
BUT, .22`s are very dirty, so keep it clean, you`ll not have as many issues.

I shoot a lot of FEDERAL bulk .22 ammo, no issues. CCI just works...period.
(w/exception to remington and winchester ammo... it`s JUNK)
Pa:

The .22 Compact is made by S&W here in the USA.

I know a couple of guys that shoot them in IDPA practice, and their quality is much better than the Umarex made guns.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I 've used Remington, Federal bulk, CCI, but my favorite has become Aquila super extra. The red, yellow and white box. I find it to be on par with CCI. TargetSportsUSA has 5000 rounds of copper plated 40 grain for $229 and free shipping.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Pa:

The .22 Compact is made by S&W here in the USA.

I know a couple of guys that shoot them in IDPA practice, and their quality is much better than the Umarex made guns.
Hi Rick,
wern`t the first ones to market made in germany...??? If not, my mistake. Maybe i was thinkin it was the Sig 22`s.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm using almost nothing but Aquila. Great ammo. I mainly use the Super Extra. (red, yellow and white box) 40 grain copper plated. I like it as much as CCI.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts