MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speer sells a 260gr JHP bullet and has a listing for it under the .45 ACP load data in their manual. It cautions to test it to make sure it will feed in your pistol before loading too many. The bullet actually looks more like a semi jacketed hollow point, as the tip is exposed lead.

Just curious if anyone here has ever used this load? I was thinking about trying it in my Springfield 1911 and my Smith and Wesson M&P45. The Speer manual suggests it for hunting use when greater penetration is needed. I wondered about easing my way up to a fairly hot load for a mountain carry round in these pistols.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
My personal opinion...I wouldn't go over 230 gr in 45 acp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G56 said:
My personal opinion...I wouldn't go over 230 gr in 45 acp.

Thanks for the input. Just curious about your statement, did you have a negative experience with the 260grs, or just personal preference?

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
No personal experience, just my opinion that would be taking the heavy and slow route to an extreme, the 230 gr bullet is already at a fairly low velocity, and a heavier bullet would have to be even slower in that caliber. Nothing wrong with a heavier bullet as long as the velocity isn't too low, and to go faster would require a heavier caliber, not something the 1911 (as an example) was designed to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was kind of thinking the same direction as you towards this idea after I searched around a bit. I did find this article that was kind of interesting.

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/CTT0907.html

I still will probably never try any of these, but it is interesting to read about. I am sure it beats the gun pretty bad. I am sure if they were really practical, that someone would have done a factory loading with a heavy bullet.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I perfer 230 myself. But my neigbor shoot something bigger (250 may be? Its a hand load), and he does really well with it. I shot it once, i think it kicked too much for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts