MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at getting a small pistol for as C&C.. I thought about compact 9mm and so on.. My brother carries a Walther PPK/s.. So I decided to look in to James Bond's gun at Walther's Website.. I started looking at the P99 for the fun of it.. And noticed it comes with the 3 backstrap design like the M&P.. Hmmm.. And it is made partially by Smith and Wesson.. Did anyone know that the P99 came like that? Just wondering..

Ben

By the way.. I am going to wait and get the compact M&P when it comes out..

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
The p99 is a pretty popular gun. There is a large hidden following for them.

I'm with you, I still prefer the M&P.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The P99 is an all German design. S&W is just an importer. The SW99 however is a joint design with S&W and Walther. Walther makes the frame and frame components, S&W produces the slide and slide components. I'm not 100% sure but I believe this is correct.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The P99s are an excellet series of guns. I have come close many times to buying one, but like some others I am waiting to buy a M&P compact. I can't really justify buying one so I am just going to buy one for the heck of it. :twisted:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jester said:
The p99 is a pretty popular gun. There is a large hidden following for them.

I'm with you, I still prefer the M&P.

They are but much like the Sig Pro and CZ their bread and butter markets are not in the USA.

To my knowledge the P99 was the first design to use the interchangable backstraps which has been copied in many other designs now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The SW99/P99 is truly a great pistol. The back straps change out differently than the M&P. I actually like the SW99/P99 backstrap design better than the M&P ones (uses a friction fit pin to keep in place). The SW99/P99 design appears to be more secure and looks like it will last longer. Thats just personal preference though, i'm sure the M&P design will be fine.

The SW99/P99 was incrediably precise out of the box and never had problems what so ever. I went with the smith because I got it cheaper, bottome line.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ben2112 said:
I wish I knew someone close to me that had one.. I would like to shoot one..

Ben

I had a SW99 in 40 caliber (Basically the same gun as the Walther 99). Yes, they had interchangeable backstraps, but the M&P has interchangeable grip-straps. When changing the backstraps on the SW99, it seemed to make no difference. But, there is a difference when you change the grip-strap on the M&P. I didn't really mind it, but the mag release on the SW99 (Walther 99) was kinda weird. I liked it, but it was too different than all other guns and I couldn't get used to it. Also, I think the M&P is more accurate and a much better gun (my personal opionion only).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Every Ian Fleming fan has to have one of these.. I waited a long time to save up for this.

Never use it but its gets a LOT of looks when I bring it to the range and have it beside my plastic guns.

This gun has more of a kick then any of my M&Ps and hurts my hand. I really dont like shooting it at all. Too rigid I guess. Made by S&W so it must be good!!!

Melb

[/img]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts