MP-Pistol Forum banner

30 Super Carry

1104 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Smith Shooter
I don't really see anything being discussed about this new caliber.

I assume no one here is diving into that part of the pool - and buying a gun in this new caliber?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I'm not sure 30 Super Carry does anything useful that's not already covered by existing pistols and cartridges.

Sometimes, new calibers and pistols are marketed to those who are attracted by shiny keys dangled and jangled over their heads.:D
Reactions: 1
I have no desire to stock another caliber ammo. Except for possibly 357 Sig.
Reactions: 3
^^^^ My sentiments exactly. 👍
It will be interesting to see if it ever catches on in any major way. To me this is the .327 Federal Magnum/ 32 H&R Magnum story rewritten for an autoloader. There are those who love these revolver rounds but the sales of both guns and ammo have always been modest as the .38 Special/.357 Magnum rounds do everything better. I think it will be the same for the 30 Super Carry.
Reactions: 2
I went to buy the 30SC shield plus, walked out with the 10MM. That always seems to happen.
  • Haha
I wonder if they'll put the caliber in the full size M&P line? How many rounds would that be in a magazine? 21? 22?
I wonder if they'll put the caliber in the full size M&P line? How many rounds would that be in a magazine? 21? 22?
Yea, that would be interesting.
If the ammo were priced at the level of 9mm I probably would take a look at it. I have no need for a caliber that is more costly to shoot. I already have that in .380 and 40 s&w and 45 acp. If they really want the caliber to take off, they need to lower the price on the ammo.
If the ammo were priced at the level of 9mm I probably would take a look at it. I have no need for a caliber that is more costly to shoot. I already have that in .380 and 40 s&w and 45 acp. If they really want the caliber to take off, they need to lower the price on the ammo.
An interesting thing about 40 S&W is that its price did not balloon during COVID and Sleepy Joe's time, whereas the prices of other more popular calibers did. 40 remained around $400/1000. 9mm rose from $180 to ridiculous levels. I presume there is less demand for 40, keeping its price more stable.

It is an argument for caliber diversification IMO (although I have progressed more towards consolidation the last several years).
An interesting thing about 40 S&W is that its price did not balloon during COVID and Sleepy Joe's time, whereas the prices of other more popular calibers did. 40 remained around $400/1000. 9mm rose from $180 to ridiculous levels. I presume there is less demand for 40, keeping its price more stable.

It is an argument for caliber diversification IMO (although I have progressed more towards consolidation the last several years).
You're right, that is the main reason I bought a pistol in 40. I don't shoot it a lot and I thought about selling it and the ammo I have, but I think it may be a good idea to keep it in case we have another 9mm shortage.
Yes, that was the time period when .40 S&W had fallen out of favor with law enforcement agencies so the demand for both firearms and ammunition in that caliber had plummeted. Since the demand had gotten so low the price of ammo stayed the same or only rose slightly and new or revised guns weren't being offered in .40 either.

Now bulk 9mm is well under $300/1000 but .40 is still over $400/1000. If you are going to stockpile, now is the time.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts