MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since S&W is acting like they don't want to sell 357 Sig barrels to M&P 40 owners I emailed Barsto to ask if they had plans to make them. And the answer is:

"Good Afternoon,

We have not yet made a determination as to wether we will be producing

barrels for the new M&P's. We do have a call list going of customers that

would like to be contacted if and when we do start producing them. Would you

like me to put you on our contact list for this barrel?

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me directly,

thank you.

-Micki"

Perhaps if enough of us ask they will start production.

Jerry

·
Registered
31 Posts
What's taking S&W so long to release teh .357 Sig version? Is there a problem somewhere along the line?

Also...since the 357 sig is a necked down 40S&W round....would changing the barrel of a M&P40 to a 357 barrel be the only thing that is required or would some other changes be necessary?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just was looking at Wikipedia (yeah, I know...not exactly known for firearm information)...and...

Most .40 S&W pistols can be converted to .357 SIG by replacing the barrel, and sometimes the recoil spring. Pistols with especially strong recoil springs can accept either cartridge with a barrel change only. Magazines will freely interchange between the two cartridges. .357 SIG barrel kits have allowed this cartridge to continue to gain in popularity among handgun owners. However, it should be noted that the .357 SIG is loaded to higher pressures than the .40 S&W (a difference of up to 5,000 psi at top loads), and may not be suitable for use in all .40 S&W-chambered pistols.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG

So perhaps a barrel switch plus a recoil spring change?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are a few 357 Sig out there. Rumor has it the 357 was but on the back burner to get the 45 acp version done in time for the army pistol trials. True or not that is one of the stories going around.

Waiting for a parts diagram of the 357 sig version to see if the part numbers for the recoil springs are the same. That should corfirm if just a barrel change or a barrel and springs change are required.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, The one for the 357 sig version is not there yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Although I am no engineer, out of all of the other manufacturers that I have bought 357 factory barrels for, none have required a spring swap. Hopefully the M&P is the same.

·
Registered
464 Posts
mbinky said:
Although I am no engineer, out of all of the other manufacturers that I have bought 357 factory barrels for, none have required a spring swap. Hopefully the M&P is the same.

A LEO up the street had one made for his .40 and changed the springs to reduce the muzzle flip.

Works just fine to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got my OEM S&W M&P 357 bbl from Brownells ($92.14). Midway also has them.

Dropped in, worked fine. Recoil spring for 9/40/357 have the same part number.

Since the 155/40s generate more slide velocity and are harder on the gun than 125/357s, I don't expect any problems.

The 357 M&P is about 1.25 oz heavier according to the catalog I have; might all be in the bbl. I'll weigh my 40/357 bbls when I get around to it, let ya know. If the weight difference isn't there, that leaves the slide/frame.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I bought my S&W .357sig barrel from Midway and have shot over 300+ rounds in my M&P 40 with no problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I replaced my 40 S&W barrel with an OEM 357 Sig barrel (Also purchased from MIDWAY). My M&P 40 shoots 357 Sig just as well as it did 40 without changing anything else. The only difference is it shoots about 2 inches lower with the 357 Sig round at 15 yds..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dare I ask..why? There are hot 9mms and 40S&Ws are easier to find on the market.

Guess I am of the train of thought some calibers are answers to questions never asked. Or like several other calibers on the market; it puts the firearms manufacturer's name on the cartridge.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dare I ask..why? There are hot 9mms and 40S&Ws are easier to find on the market.

Guess I am of the train of thought some calibers are answers to questions never asked. Or like several other calibers on the market; it puts the firearms manufacturer's name on the cartridge.

Because it is there.

Because I have a 40 but at times I have access to a supply of "cheap" 357.

Because variety is the spice of life.

Because S&W doesn't want me to have it.

And just because.

Just for a few.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Because it is there.

Because I have a 40 but at times I have access to a supply of "cheap" 357.

Because variety is the spice of life.

Because S&W doesn't want me to have it.

And just because.

Just for a few.

x2... AWESOME answers...

ordering mine soon

·
Registered
75 Posts
Question about the Storm Lake barrels. I saw them available at SpeedShooters and was wondering if they are any better than factory? Are they supposed to be match grade or just replacement barrels?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Question about the Storm Lake barrels. I saw them available at SpeedShooters and was wondering if they are any better than factory? Are they supposed to be match grade or just replacement barrels?

I have a storm lake .40 cal barrel for my m&p .357 full size. It was a drop in and did just that a drop in barrel that worked first time and has never had a ftf in about 400 rounds. Can't say if they are better than OEM since I dont' have a .40 to compare . It to me seems to shoot a bit lower than the .357 but that may have been/be me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Since S&W is acting like they don't want to sell 357 Sig barrels to M&P 40 owners I emailed Barsto to ask if they had plans to make them. And the answer is:

"Good Afternoon,

We have not yet made a determination as to wether we will be producing

barrels for the new M&P's. We do have a call list going of customers that

would like to be contacted if and when we do start producing them. Would you

like me to put you on our contact list for this barrel?

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me directly,

thank you.

-Micki"

Perhaps if enough of us ask they will start production.

Jerry

They told me the exact same thing more recently.

If you look at the BarSto website, you will see that they have a very close relationship with Springfield Armory. They consider themselves to be experts on enhancing both their 1911 handguns, as well as the XD series. They sell customized, enhanced SA guns, and even have a direct link to the Springfield Armory website.

Because of this very strong support for SA and their XD pistols, I am most doubtful that they will ever offer products for the S&W M&P pistols.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts