Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Waiting for .45 ACP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I just don't care for the 357 sig round too much muzzle blast and noise for all the more power, plus I like the saying a .355 bullet may expand but a .40/.45 will never shrink.

You should have added to the poll: waiting for the M&P .45

Dan

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I want a compact 40 caliber

I'm waiting for the compact but not in 357 mag. Ill buy the compact 40 in caliber when it comes out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Waiting for the M&P compact in .40S&W. After that Im going to get the .45.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depending on how the grip on the .45 feels, it may be a good choice for me. Believe it or not, I'd like to see an M&P in .45 G.A.P.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I currently own a full-size .40S&W, of the choices listed I would probably wait for the .45ACP - but I would definately buy a drop in .357Sig barrel if they were available.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Waiting for the .45

If I want to shoot .357, I'm going to use my Colt Trooper.

In a semi-automatic, I'd rather wait for the .45 as I think that it will provide a better experience than either the .40 or the .357.

·
Registered
59 Posts
45GAP

I would jump on a MP compact 45GAP in a second. Load with with Federal's low recoil 45GAP hydra shok rounds and the perfect CCW is born.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
0 malfunctions

I have fired well over 3000 Flat nosed FMJ and HP rounds through my Glock 32 without 1 feed or ejection malfunction. So for me the 357SIG perfect for SD. Muzzle flash is barley noticeable in low light from the shooters perspective. Now from a side view, it is freaking huge. Noise? anything over and including a .22lr is deafening.

9mm +p, +p+, 357SIG?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
I just don't care for the 357 sig round too much muzzle blast and noise for all the more power, plus I like the saying a .355 bullet may expand but a .40/.45 will never shrink.

You should have added to the poll: waiting for the M&P .45

Dan

That's what makes it so much fun. The majority of folks that shoot .357Sig love it. I am one of them. It's a handloader''s dream since you can buy low cost 9mm bullets, cheaper than dirt in bulk. It is also an extremely accurate caliber. If there was a M&P Compact in .357Sig available, I'd be on my way to the store, credit card in hand.

·
Registered
36 Posts
357 Sig sucks

-Expensive ammo (usually less trigger time).

-No better terminal performance than a 9mm.

Excessive velocity of a 9mm (ie, 357 Sig) causes the petals of the hollow point to fold out (as a good 9mm does) but then over (decreasing permenant wound channel).

-More recoil impulse = slower follow up shots.

Plus it causes some shooters to shoot worse who anticipate the recoil.

·
Registered
638 Posts
MNPvsG said:
357 Sig sucks

-Expensive ammo (usually less trigger time).

-No better terminal performance than a 9mm.

Excessive velocity of a 9mm (ie, 357 Sig) causes the petals of the hollow point to fold out (as a good 9mm does) but then over (decreasing permenant wound channel).

-More recoil impulse = slower follow up shots.

Plus it causes some shooters to shoot worse who anticipate the recoil.

No offense but if you are going to provide an opinion, you need to better quantify otherwise yours is just another gun forum "because I said so" post with little substantiation. I don't want to get into a long dissertation on the merits of the .357Sig (you don't like it fine) but you are inaccurate or misinformed on several counts. The additional 200-300 FPS in MV over a standard 9mm round provides excellent barrier penetration without the high pressures of 9mm + and ++P. Secondly, the round allows the equivalent of a 125 gr. .357 Magnum round (out of a 4 inch barrel) to be fired in a high capacity, compact semi-automatic weapon. As for deformation, the Secret Service tested extensively with this round (their current service caliber) and this was not a finding nor has it been my experience, and I have now fired thousands of rounds of .357Sig. More recoil? 'Has not been my experience - on par with a typical .40SW though admittedly louder and more muzzle flash. Causes some shooter to shoot worse? The .357 Sig is an extremely accurate, flat shooting round. Most experienced .357Sig shooters are typically more accurate with this round than with the .40SW plus any gun/caliber is more accurate than the shooter. As to cost, .357 Sig is pricey but not significantly more so than factory .45ACP or .40SW. Conversely, it is extremely inexpensive to reload because it takes low cost 9mm bullets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok Ok, apparently I don't know what I'm talking about, but Dr. Roberts DOES, (originally posted on Lightfighter)

Like any good engineer, I may not know the answer, but I sure as hell know where to find the answer.

From Dr Roberts,

The .357 Sig is not a bad cartridge, it just does not seem to offer anything that is not already available, at the price of less ammunition capacity than the similarly performing 9mm, as well as having greater recoil, muzzle flash, and wear on the weapon compared to other service pistol cartridges.

When firing through heavy clothing, automotive steel panels, automobile windshield glass, interior wall segments, exterior wall segments, and plywood, both the .357 Sig Speer 125 gr JHP Gold Dot and 9mm Speer 124 gr +P JHP Gold Dot exhibited nearly identical penetration and expansion results THROUGH ALL THE DIFFERENT BARRIERS, as demonstrated by both our testing and that of the FBI. Several .40 S&W and .45 ACP loads offered superior terminal performance through barriers compared to the 9mm and .357 Sig loads. With FMJ, terminal ballistics are identical between 9 mm and .357 Sig--you get all of the downsides and no benefit with .357 Sig FMJ.

Please note Doug Carr's gel test comparison of service pistol calibers below, along with some recovered projectiles from our testing:

Read: Roberts G & Lazzarini D. “Preliminary Evaluation of .357 Sig Jacketed Hollow Point Bullets Intended for Law Enforcement Duty Using 10% Ordnance Gelatin as a Tissue Simulant.” Wound Ballistics Review. 4(4):32-33, Fall 2000

The .357 Sig has nearly identical expansion and permanent crush cavity compared with the 9 mm, not .40 S&W or .45 ACP. As you can see above, the only area where the .357 Sig is similar to .45 ACP is with the temporary cavity, however, since the stretch effects are relatively minor with all the service pistol calibers and cause no significant injury, the similarity is moot.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yea, yea, yea.

We can all copy and paste ballistics reports until we go crazy. There are just as many reports from experts that validate that the 357Sig has better terminal performance. BUT, I think we are splitting hairs here. There is really very little terminal difference b/t the major service calibers. One thing is for sure, the 357Sig has an outstanding street record.

·
Registered
36 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Yea, yea, yea.

We can all copy and paste ballistics reports until we go crazy. There are just as many reports from experts that validate that the 357Sig has better terminal performance. BUT, I think we are splitting hairs here. There is really very little terminal difference b/t the major service calibers. One thing is for sure, the 357Sig has an outstanding street record.

We all have heard "reports" of 30 carbine getting stuck in N. Korean coats, .45ACP blowing people through the air, and the like.

You can trust "reports" and "street records" if you like.

I will trust an MD who is dedicated to the in depth study of ballistics, follows widely accepted testing standards, and has forgotten more than the both of us know about how bullets kill, including seeing the terminal effects first hand.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts