MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reloaded 50 rounds of .38 Special tonight. I can't wait to try them out.

Win. brass

CCI 500 primers

Speer 125gr. JSP

1.448" OAL

I used 3 different powder charges:

4.4gr. of TiteGroup

5.7gr. of Unique

4.5gr. of Bullseye

Again, I was unsure on the exact crimp I needed. I turned the die down just until the bell was gone. I also checked as I went to see if the round would chamber. Right at the point where it just removed the bell, the round fell in the chamber without any resistance. I will make sure the bullets aren't pulling out with recoil when I shoot them.

I was able to reload these fairly quickly, but I do see a progressive press in the future. The .38Sp cases are definitely easier to handle than 9mm.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
38 special is a great confidence builder, a straight wall case will always be easier than a tapered case like the 9mm. I would always use just a tiny bit of crimp on 38 special loads, as long as the bullets aren't moving in the cases while chambered it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made it to the range today to try my .38 reloads. I liked the TiteGroup load the best. The recoil on all 3 loads were very similar. The TiteGroup shot the cleanest with the least flash. The Bullseye load was pretty clean with some flash. The Unique load was very dirty; in fact, I think unburned powder was coming out of the fired cases.

I didn't really compare the accuracy of the 3 loads. I was shooting a S&W 642 at about 10 yards. All the loads grouped in the center of the target, and were accurate enough.

I checked the 5th round after firing 4 rounds. I did this several times to see if the bullet was pulling out with recoil. The bullets were pulling out 0.008-0.010". I checked some factory Win. ammo I had, and it was pulling out about 0.005". I think I need just a hair more crimp.

I'm having a good time learning to reload. I want to get some LWC bullets and try them next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts