MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
M&P40 1.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hola,
I am done with upgrades on my full size .40 (4.25") for now but looking for examples of what else could be done.

My pistol started life as a factory 10.5# trigger model (no safeties) and white dot sights. Here is what I have done so far:
  • M*Carbo trigger kit , reduced/improved trigger
  • Truglo TFO Day/Night sights.
  • Added mags (x6 hi-cap)
  • Streamlight TLR-7
  • 9mm conversion barrel (& a lot of mags, including ETS stick mags)
  • CCW holster
  • Duty/Battle belt holster
  • Sub-2000 to take advantage of the mags
What could be next?

·
Registered
M&P40 1.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I do shoot it. As much as I can although practice .40 is harder to come by at my agency. Using a 9mm barrel at the range is just cost effective although it sees as much .40 as it does 9 during these times.

As mentioned. The only portion mechanically altered was the trigger. The trigger was truly awful. This was more like a DA revolver but grittier and full of creep. I would absolutely do it again.

Everything was done for tactical reasons. Sights that can be seen better in the day or at night is solid plus, especially if you are required to carry at night or in other dim light situations. The light is the same but not as flashy (lol).

More mags is never a bad idea. The S2K is simply because, ...why not? The holsters are good quality. Either custom or name brand and I need a place to park her when not being used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shoot it. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with modding their guns. The most unreliable guns I see are the modded ones.
People mod their guns to make them more 'theirs' in their liking.
Like motorcycles and cars. It doesn't mean they don't use them and in this shooting it.

Well, I do shoot it. As much as I can although practice .40 is harder to come by at my agency. Using a 9mm barrel at the range is just cost effective although it sees as much .40 as it does 9 during these times.

As mentioned. The only portion mechanically altered was the trigger. The trigger was truly awful. This was more like a DA revolver but grittier and full of creep. I would absolutely do it again.

Everything was done for tactical reasons. Sights that can be seen better in the day or at night is solid plus, especially if you are required to carry at night or in other dim light situations. The light is the same but not as flashy (lol).

More mags is never a bad idea. The S2K is simply because, ...why not? The holsters are good quality. Either custom or name brand and I need a place to park her when not being used.
Get a couple more magazines or extensions.
Maybe a light Or light/lazer if you have it out at home.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You must not shoot much.
I guarantee in fact I'll wager 1k my modified gun is not only more reliable but more accurate than your stock gun.
When did I say mine was stock? Also that means I don't shoot much? Not sure how you assumed all that.
I understand wanting to customize your gun to your liking but just looking for something to mod makes little sense.

·
Registered
651 Posts
When did I say mine was stock? Also that means I don't shoot much? Not sure how you assumed all that.
I understand wanting to customize your gun to your liking but just looking for something to mod makes little sense.
You said the most unreliable guns you see are modded ones.

That means one of two things, you either don't shoot much or shoot around backwoods gunsmiths.

Between classes and competition I shoot with/near at least one hundred people per year. Rarely are malfunctions from modded guns.
Stock guns however hiccup all the time. Read forums and you will see new posters with new stock guns that are broke. If stock guns were so reliable, why do they come with a lifetime warranty?

As far as modifying it just to do it. Ask yourself, what did you know about guns when you first bought a gun? If you are like the rest of us it probably wasn't much.
So people asking what mods are recommend is a smart thing to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you’re making the same assumptions about the OP not shooting. How can you find mods without looking for them?

·
Registered
M&P40 1.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apparently I should have been more specific to the task and purpose of my build. I'm not modding just to see what I can do. I'm possibly going to carry this as a duty gun, as law enforcement. Everything I'm doing or possibly going to do is strictly to make it a better combat weapon (not competition). That is the theme of this thread.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are you happy with the trigger as is?

Are you happy with the accuracy as is?

Are you happy with the way the grip/texture feels/fits your hands?

Are you happy with the reliability so far? Did you have issues at first? Did they get better as the pistol wore in from use?

Are you happy with your holsters?

If you're happy with it, right now/as is, what else would it need?

I can tell you what I did to some of mine.

1.0 models - added night sights, added talon grip panels, added apex trigger kits, added a Storm Lake barrel on the .40., replaced the 9MM top end with a M&P PC 5" ported slide/barrel kit.

My opinions of the changes I made.

Night sights work to allow you to align the sights front and back with a target (people can argue all the time about shooting at something you can't clearly see but there are circumstances where you know absolutely it's a threat even if you can't see whether they have the top button of their shirt buttoned or not.)

The talon grip panels (on the 1.0 models) provide me a much more sure grip of the pistol in all conditions.

Apex trigger parts kits are better than the factory triggers but the 1.0 models still don't compare to a 2.0 with an Apex trigger kit. The 2.0's with an Apex kit are absolutely awesome. Better than many of my CZ pistols if you're a trigger snob.

Storm Lake barrel on the .40 was a waste of money. I should have sent it back (failure to chamber issues on every single round) but I elected to polish the chamber to remove most of the rough cut marks/gouges and fixed that. Even after getting it to chamber every round the accuracy didn't meet my expectations.

The M&P PC ported 5" barrel/slide kit on the 9MM is an improvement over the stock 4&1/4" barrel/slide. The porting really works to reduce muzzle rise. It needs more accuracy testing and I just haven't been getting to the range with it like I need to. Took it a couple times, made sure it worked and was sighted in, but need to shoot it with more/different loads to see if I can find one that will group better.

I know people say ammo doesn't matter. In my experience it does. My 2.0 5" FDE 9MM gives me pretty poor performance with everything I've tried in it - but Winchester 9MM 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo. That pistol really likes that harder shooting/recoiling 124 grain ammo. So I bought a bunch of it a couple years ago. Spent some time/money trying to reload some 124 grain hollow points to duplicate the velocity but so far no luck.

I don't put a light on my carry pistols. I carry a handheld light in my pants pocket, in the car door pockets, have one (with batteries) in the bag with the Shield and it's spare mags/ammo/holster.

·
Registered
M&P40 1.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you happy with the trigger as is?
- Stock heavy trigger was... Not good. I can pretty much live with anything but the 10.5# stock trigger was literally something else. It is night and day now. The M*Carbo kit really helped.

Are you happy with the accuracy as is?
- Absolutely. The factory .40 barrel allows for head shots at 25 yards and I can hit poppers at 100 (not every time but that is on me).

Are you happy with the way the grip/texture feels/fits your hands?
- I prefer Glocks, especially the Gen 4 pattern. The palm swells on the M&P feel to round for my hands. Texture is fine though, just the shape I don't prefer.

Are you happy with the reliability so far? Did you have issues at first? Did they get better as the pistol wore in from use?
- Zero issues with several hundred rounds in .40 and 9mm. Only time will tell if there are any bumps on the horizon.

Are you happy with your holsters?
-The CCW paddle is great. Perfect fit, slim profile, I will buy again. The Safariland ALS. It does not seem to like the TLR-7 but I haven't had as much range time as I would like doing draws. I have taken to wearing my rig in the evenings and on commercials I work the draw/holster (unloaded of course) so that hopefully they will break in together.

If you're happy with it, right now/as is, what else would it need?
- I'm probably good to do now. Although, the talon grips I have never tried on any of my guns. I may give this a whirl.

I can tell you what I did to some of mine.

1.0 models - added night sights, added talon grip panels, added apex trigger kits, added a Storm Lake barrel on the .40., replaced the 9MM top end with a M&P PC 5" ported slide/barrel kit.

My opinions of the changes I made.

Night sights work to allow you to align the sights front and back with a target (people can argue all the time about shooting at something you can't clearly see but there are circumstances where you know absolutely it's a threat even if you can't see whether they have the top button of their shirt buttoned or not.)

The talon grip panels (on the 1.0 models) provide me a much more sure grip of the pistol in all conditions.

Apex trigger parts kits are better than the factory triggers but the 1.0 models still don't compare to a 2.0 with an Apex trigger kit. The 2.0's with an Apex kit are absolutely awesome. Better than many of my CZ pistols if you're a trigger snob.

Storm Lake barrel on the .40 was a waste of money. I should have sent it back (failure to chamber issues on every single round) but I elected to polish the chamber to remove most of the rough cut marks/gouges and fixed that. Even after getting it to chamber every round the accuracy didn't meet my expectations.

The M&P PC ported 5" barrel/slide kit on the 9MM is an improvement over the stock 4&1/4" barrel/slide. The porting really works to reduce muzzle rise. It needs more accuracy testing and I just haven't been getting to the range with it like I need to. Took it a couple times, made sure it worked and was sighted in, but need to shoot it with more/different loads to see if I can find one that will group better.

I know people say ammo doesn't matter. In my experience it does. My 2.0 5" FDE 9MM gives me pretty poor performance with everything I've tried in it - but Winchester 9MM 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo. That pistol really likes that harder shooting/recoiling 124 grain ammo. So I bought a bunch of it a couple years ago. Spent some time/money trying to reload some 124 grain hollow points to duplicate the velocity but so far no luck.

I don't put a light on my carry pistols. I carry a handheld light in my pants pocket, in the car door pockets, have one (with batteries) in the bag with the Shield and it's spare mags/ammo/holster.
I will put a light on everything I can. My current (primary) off duty carry, a Ruger LC9s (best stock trigger I have owned outside of a Tracker 627) has a light. I still carry a light and have a spare flashlight in my car and SUV but I never want to be without the option. Personal choice here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get ready to explain to a judge and jury why you modified your factory spec gun when your hauled into court after you used your self modified gun in self defense. Prosecutors can be ruthless especially if a qualified licensed gunsmith didn't do the altercations. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
M&P40 1.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get ready to explain to a judge and jury why you modified your factory spec gun when your hauled into court after you used your self modified gun in self defense. Prosecutors can be ruthless especially if a qualified licensed gunsmith didn't do the altercations. Just something to think about.
I'm good. If I ever have to use a carry or duty gun the last thing I'm worrying about is court. Court is an expected given. I work off the assumption that I can do everything right and an attorney will tell me I should have done something differently.

Plus all add ons or mods do nothing to affect the safety of operation. As I do not live in Massachusetts or any other state requiring a heavy stock trigger, reducing the weight to level consistent with a non-heavy M&P .40 is allowed. At least at my agency.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Please post when this has happened, to a non LEO.
I read people parrot thus all the time but have yet to read a case that the person was convicted only because of modification to their gun, meaning if they had a stock gun they would have gone free.

I would let be to read the details of the cases.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm good. If I ever have to use a carry or duty gun the last thing I'm worrying about is court. Court is an expected given. I work off the assumption that I can do everything right and an attorney will tell me I should have done something differently.

IMO, court is only an "expected" given if you live in a state that has laws (or lack of them) which are hostile to self defense scenarios. Luckily not everyone lives in those places :)

·
Registered
M&P40 1.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live in the Centennial State (for now :() and it really seems to be determined by where you are at the time. It isn't California or NY by any stretch.

·
Registered
M&P40 1.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More ammo and keep practicing.
A custom slide plate would be nice. I buy mine from NDZ.
Some people paint the letters.
I took mine to the range. While it fired fine and the reduced trigger pull was much appreciated the lack of a felt reset had me trying to do double tap drills and getting one shot off due to the distance the trigger needs to travel to reset. I cannot put an Apex RAM on my 1.0 as there is no plug on the frame. I did find an Apex Action Enhancement trigger (just the trigger) that is supposed to reduce over-travel and pre-travel. It will also put the safety lever in the middle of the trigger. This will be a good thing for me since 99% percent of my pistols (which are not many) that are striker fired have that type of trigger to begin with.

Other than that I took your advice and purchased NDZ slide plate covers for my M&P40 1.0 and my 9mm Shield M2.0. The blue is nice without being to "out-there". I was also looking at their pin sets and

1 - 18 of 18 Posts