MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,

I have read through the threads on the 357 dropping into a 40 gun and vis versa, looked at the parts list.

Most of the posts I have read state that you "should" be able to do this. My question is has anybody actually taken a 40 M&P and simply swapped the barrel out for a 357.

My concern is that the slide assembly is the same and goes into battery correctly.

So I am thinking does the barrel need to be replaced or the barrel and slide.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I haven't done it personally, but I know at least one field rep for Smith was given 357 SIG barrels rather than complete guns, with instructions to drop the barrels into his .40-cal pistols when he needed to demo or test 357's. He hasn't had any issues.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Todd,

Local GS has a 40 cal and with the $50 rebate and 2 double mags I think I will go ahead and do it. I will need to shoot the .40 for a while since the dies for my Dillion on the 357SW is about $125 a set. Will be worth it to reload, but still a high price for the dies.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just a note from one who owned an M&P 357... you would be well advised to procure a heavier recoil spring for that caliber. Mine did not work as well as the 9mm and .40 guns do.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks,

Right now I can only find the 40 in stokc and most of the barrels I find online are backordered till Feb 08. So, I have time to buy another gun to tinker with till then.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted in another thread that I have already purchased my .40 Just thought I would mention that the .40 parts/magazine ect are all stamped as S&W .40/357.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts