MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the very gun-unfriendly state of New Jersey where you can't have a magazine that carries more than 15 rounds. I have been looking at the M&P 9mm. It comes with a 10 or a 17 round magazine. Is there any hope of using the 15 round .40 magazine in this gun? Am I stuck with the 10-rounder? Thanks.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
The 40 magazine works for 40 S&W and 357 Sig, the 9mm uses a different magazine. A 40 nag would fit, but probably wouldn't function properly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
G56 said:
The 40 magazine works for 40 S&W and 357 Sig, the 9mm uses a different magazine. A 40 nag would fit, but probably wouldn't function properly.

Even if the .40 mag fit correctly in the 9mm if would misfeed

·
Registered
495 Posts
Actually has anybody tried it? Reason I ask is it works perfectly with HK USP compact mags. Has anyone actually compared the feed lips of the two mags?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
if you tweak the feed lips a bit, it will work.

·
Registered
551 Posts
coltman1985 said:
My Glock 22 mags work in my Glock 17 with no problems.
I have a SigPro 2009 (9mm) and magazines for the SigPro 2340 and 2200 (Both in 40/.357 Sig) work fine in it. In fact, 10-round .40/.357 magazines hold 12 rounds of 9 mm.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
My question is, why would you want too?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
I did it with HK compact mags because the 13 rounders were $45. The 10 round 40s were only $10 and held 13 rounds of 9mm

·
Registered
551 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
In my case I had read an article saying it would work. The decider was that 9 mm mags for the 2009 were $40 each while CDNN had 10-round .40 mags for the 2340 for $10 each. No brainer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I helped a friend torture test some M&P's back in September. The object was to run rounds through the guns as rapidly as possible. Temperature readings were taken and shooters changed every 100 rounds. We put 3K rounds through both the .40 and the 9MM. The only stoppages occurred when we got some mags mixed up and loaded some 9MM rounds into a .40 mag. I don't know that I'd want to gamble with a gun I planned to carry.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anyone know (on an M&P9 full size) what the difference is between the 17 round and 10 magazines (besides one holds 17 the other 10
)

I mean the gun is the same - RIGHT? you could take a full size 10 round mag and stick it in any M&P9 - can't you?

I always thought there must be some plug - or maybe a real long follower - or some dimples in the mag tube that would only allow the follower to go down in the mag tube far enough to put in 10 rounds - and just leave empty space below

Could you modify a 17 round - in the same way they modified it to hold 10 - but have it hold 15 rounds?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would guess that if it did work, a 15-rd .40 mag would probably hold 17 rds of 9mm which would still be illegal anyway.

if he uses 10 round .40mags he can probably fit 14 9mm rounds. I might work just fine...(at least I know you can fit 14 9mm rounds into 10 round .40 Beretta 92 mags, I never tried shooting it though)

·
Registered
76 Posts
That the same high temperature "torture test" done by Charles E. Petty in the Guns Annual?

Interesting.

Fewer rounds than the DHS endurance test (2,500 v 10,000), but tougher in another way as the guns got much hotter. During DHS testing the guns were fired in 250 round cycles, then cooled, cleaned, and lubed before continuing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
BrokenArrow said:
That the same high temperature "torture test" done by Charles E. Petty in the Guns Annual?
That's probably the one although I haven't read the article. I don't think he's done another temp test since then. The upside (other than shooting free ammo) was getting to try out a potential purchase. I knew by the end of the day I'd be buying one when the .45's hit the market.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts