MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have around 850 rounds through my 40 Compact and I'm beginning to think that I should get a recoil spring replacement before long... anyone have any idea of the lifespan of a 40C recoil spring? What are the best sources for recoil spring replacements? Thanks, in advance... DHart

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Unless you are having problems, I would wait until you have about 5000 rounds before changing the recoil guide rod assy. I bought my replacement from S&W.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a full size - had 2 failure to load problems at around 1,500 rounds- the slide was not closing - had to bump it for the last 1/2 inch - I called and ordered 3 recoil rod/springs.

They were on back order for a few months - I finally called and got them to ship me one.

I tested both new and old springs - old spring tested 14.5 pounds - new spring was 16 pounds.

I have not had any issues since replacement. I plan to test the strength every 500 or so rounds - just to see if it changes. I do not know if the original spring was weak to start with - or wore out quickly. A new one is $7.00 -

I made my own spring weight test machine - it is very crude - but works - I need a better scale.

I took an piece of 2x2 that was left over from a project about 12 inches long (a 4x4 would also work)

Took a drill bit that was slightly larger that the end of the recoil rod and drilled a hole all the way through the 2x2.

Next took a drill bit slightly larger that the diameter of the recoil spring and drilled it about 3/4 the way through the 2x2 in the same place as the first hole.

Then I took a scale (I used our bathroom scale)

Put another scrap piece of wood on it - and set the scale to zero

Then stuck the recoil rod into the hole I drilled - and pressed it against the wood on the scale - using the board with the hole drilled to force the spring to compress.

I must have too much time on my hands.

·
Registered
32 Posts
are the recoil rod/spring assemblies the same for the compact as they are for the full-size? I don't have a full-size, so I can't exactly whip one out for comparison.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts