MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... long time lurker, first time poster...

I received my new .40 compact on Thursday and have put 210 rounds through it. So far I've had three failures to feed and one failed extraction. How many rounds should I try to break it in or is it time to call the factory?

With the 1st magazine shots #4 and #8 failed to feed. The nose of the rounds were caught on the feed ramp. The recoil of the other shots was weird. Instead of feeling "POP" I got a slow push, pause then a bump. I feel the shot, the slide coming back and then the nose of the round catching on the feed ramp. The whole recoil process felt like it was taking 3 times longer than normal. I was shooting Remington 180grain FMJ UMC. Over the course of the next 90 rounds the weird recoil went away and began to feel like a normal strong pop. I started to feel better as my new gun broke in and was feeding reliably... then shot #96 had the weird recoil but it did feed.

I switched to Winchester 165 grain FMG target/range and had 30 great shots. Thinking the gun was about broken in I stared to test on my self defense Federal 165 grain Hydro-Shok JHP. In 10 shots all the Hydro-Shok's had the weird hanging recoil. One failed to feed and one failed to extract. The slide jammed while trying to feed the next round into the fired casing. I locked the slide back and pointed the barrel up and the case fell out without touching it (so it was not stuck). I switched back to the cheap Winchester 165 target/range ammo and finished out another 70 shots without any problems and all the recoils felt like they should.

My .40 was getting much better as it broke in but performed horribly on the expensive Hydro-Shok's so I'm still not very confident in the guns reliability. Should I send it to the factory for an attitutde adjustment or give it more break-in?

·
Registered
599 Posts
FTF

Just asking--did you clean and lube your MP ? I always do this to my new or newly

purchased guns. Good luck Both of my 40/40c work perfect

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I field stripped it, gave it a quick wipe down, and oiled for the first 100 shots. Then I cleaned and oiled it for the next batch of shooting.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I probably over-lube mine, but this might help: Make sure you get a little lube on the under side of the slide on that ramp in the middle and where the stainless button is. The ramp could be dragging on the next round as it comes to the feed position, but that's just a thought. I've had feed issues with my hand-loads that use flat points and were over a set overall length, but never with any commercial SD ammo, nor with Remington UMC, WWB, or CCI commercial ammo. I think it might just be a break-in issue, but I'm no smith. Give it another 100-150 target rounds and see if it clears up. Also, with the 40, make sure you got a good two-handed grip on the thing. Teacup holds will result in a form of limp-wristing from the amount of snap on the front end. It is more than managable with both hands solidly on the gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my newly purchased M&P9c to the range without doing any cleaning, just open the box and start to shoot, I used the winchester ammo, I have 2 rounds that the ammo did not feed properly, then I swith to a local reload ammunition, the gun work perfect. I swith back to use the Winchester ammunition again, the pistol funtion perfectly.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You sure you were not making contact with the slide with one of your thumbs?

What you are describing is that the slide was being slowed down by something, and a FTF resulting from that is hardly surprising.

The question is what was slowing it down?

Most common culprit is the shooter making contact with the slide.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would give it a couple hundred more rounds, still funny then send it back. Don't sweat it S&W will make it right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called S&W today and they were very nice. I'm heading to AK for a couple weeks so it is a good time to send it back to the factory for a little tuning. With my Sig, Glock or Beretta I'm used to going thousands of rounds without a problem so I've gotten spoiled.

I'll let everyone know how it shoots when I get it back.

---

Breaking in the new gun I use a decent two handed grip so I don't think I was limp wristing, but in general I have a more relaxed grip instead of stiff & rigid. My grip has not caused any feeding problems on other guns so I don't think that's the cause.

As for touching the slide with my thumb... Are you crazy! I used the wrong grip once back when I was 21 years old. The bleeding eventually stopped and my hands have never gotten close to the slide in action since. But seriously, how can you drag your thumb on the slide enough to slow it down without drawing blood?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
with a high thumb grip it is easy to get either of your thumbs up on the side of the slide and no it doesn't hurt at all sometimes I will feel it other times I don't. I don't do it with my M&Ps but I used to do it fairly often with my SVI and shooting 130pf ammo would cause a failure to eject everytime.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan Burwell: Now I'm going to have to try and see if I can make it happen. I still can't beleive that you can do it without feeling something.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm up to 860 rounds on my M&P 40c, flawless for everyone that shoots it. My father flew into town today, and I took him shooting for the first time in 20 years. I think he's got his eye on a S&W 1911 now :twisted:
I feel bad for everyone I see on here who is having trouble, I really do. Now if S&W could consistently make them like mine it would be fantastic. I have no doubt S&W will make it right, have faith guys and good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received my .40 back from S&W today. They replaced the slide. It's raining but I did put 20 quick rounds through it and it worked perfectly. I'll give it a good workout this weekend...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Now that it's back get some good rounds and stick to Doc's list.. no more Hdros

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

.40 S&W:

Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP

Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)

Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)

Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)

Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)

Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)

Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I went out today to shoot several hundred (about 500) rounds to build my confidence in the gun since it came back from the factory but I ended up stopping after 130 rounds. There were two times that the gun failed to lock completely shut and failed to go bang. It was cycled 98% of the way but did not completely lock. Pulling the trigger did drop the firing pin, but there was no "bang".

The first major problem was shot #5 in the clip, shot #75 in my test run. I pulled the trigger and heard "tick". Not a solid click like when dry firing, but a weak "tink". I dropped the magazine and cycled the slide. A bullet popped out with a weak firing pin mark.

The next major problem was at shot #9 in the clip, shot #99 in my test. This time I saw it. The barrel was mostly locked into the slide, but the slide was sticking out about 1/8" from the back of the frame. I pulled the trigger and "tink".

After the #75 "tink" I paid serious attention to my grip and stance. I purposley tried limp wristing and holding the gun with a straight arm death grip and the gun did fine.

At this point I'm wondering if it's me. I've never had so much trouble with a gun. I got out my Beretta, Ruger, and a cheap Jennings P.O.S. pocket pistol. In over a thousand rounds (yes, it was a long day) I did not have a single problem with any of the other guns. I was shooting cheap factory reloads, cheap fmj and hollow points and not a single failure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
S&W service was very nice when I called with the new problem and my new .40c is going back to the factory again. At least they have been very friendly and helpful every time I've called.

I love the feel of the gun and when it's working I love how it shoots. I just have to figure out how to get a decent level of confidence in it after having these problems?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks MTech for the ammo list to try. I just ordered some Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber defence rounds to try when the compact comes back from it's doctor's visit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called to check on my gun. S&W said to call back next Wednesday to check on it's status. Apparently they are doing a physical inventory of all guns in the facility which has them tied up for about a week. This will bring this service visit to over three weeks and the previous waranty work was two+ weeks. Add it up and S&W service has had possesion of my gun three times longer than I have!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
That is terrible to hear that your having so many problems. I had been reading the forum since getting the gun and i had dreaded any malfunctions. But my gun has worked flawlessly through 870 rounds of Winchester White Box.

If you decide to ditch your MP i'll take your magazines. I purchased my gun right after the last free mag promo and just before the current one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I took my 9 to the range last week for it's first outting. Only issue I had with the feeding was the initial round. It would get caught as it was leaving the clip. After the initial load of the first round, it performed flawless, until I had to reload. Not sure if I should just shoot it more and let it get broke in, or if I should give more lead in to the bottom of the ramp. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts