MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, has anyone found an accurate r/l for Berrys 180 grain? This is the first time I've tried them and the ball is still out on them. I prefer Precision Bullets (www. precisionbullets.com).

Loads worked up so far: Precision 185 gr. RNF, 4.8 gr. WST or Precision 185 RNF, 5.0 Universal Clays. Both @ 1.130 OAL

Loads attempted w/ Berry's 180, 1.125 OAL: WST 4.0,4.2,4.4,4.6,4.8 Unique 5.2,5.4,5.5,5.6,5.8 Win231 4.1,4.3,4.5,4.7,4.9 Results: Unhappy w/ all of these, although the Unique @ 5.6 and the Win [email protected] 4.7 were probably the most near accurate. I shoot off lead shot b/r @ ten yards for accuracy. I have been shooting pistols for 30 years, so am pretty sure the inaccuracy is not me, it is the reloads. If anyone has worked up some Berrys 180 accurate reloads, please post. THX

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
well, you are missing one very important piece of data, velocity. Actually two.. what;'s your definition of accurate?

I'm about to start laoding berry's 180gr rnfp's myself. dimensionally they seem very close to the precision-delta's that I ahd been using. We'll see what i get out of them. I';ve got at least one person who says they haven't been able to work up a major power factor load with berry's 180s to save their life, but minor PF is fine.

Currently, i load 180gr precision deltas to 1.125OAL over 3.7gr of titegroup and get about 136pf out of them. Shooting offhand, I could keep the majority of them in a 6 inch group at 30 yards without trying too hard. they definitely opened up after 15-20 yards, however i ahve meade some changes to the load that seems to be reuslting in more accuracy. Namely backing off the crimp and moving to a redding competition seating die where I know i'm not picking up any erronious roll crimp from my seating die.

I'll definitely share when I get my berry's loads together, probably ave something in a week or so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40 pet loads

My definition of accurate is when about fifteen to forty bullets group in one inch at ten yards. I am concerned about accuracy only if it meets my needs which are what I consider realistic gun fighting distances. I don't have a chronometer so have to guess the velocity using the assorted reloading manuals I have. There is always a chrony at the local IDPA shoot when I get a chance to get to it. For the moment, I am using my Kimber Tactical Pro II and not my S&W for IDPA & CCW due to the unreliability of it. When I get where I can figure out where it shoots and it shoots reliably, I will take it to an IDPA shoot. Until then, no way. I won't even carry it and gamble my life on soft strikers. I have to see, after cleaning up my striker this past weekend, if dirt was the only problem. I hope so, I do love the ergonomics of this pistol. Funny thing, people talk about soft primers and hard primers. My old model 59 would eat and shoot anything I put in it. I believe we shouldn't have to be concerned about soft and hard primers in a pistol we are staking out life on. What are we going to do, should we get in a fight? Say: "wait a minute, hold it, my gun didn't fire" ? Problems to date: Shot low at ten yard, mags fall out during live fire- S&W did fix these...now, it's light strikes. Model is MPB. I will continue to work up some loads with Berry's. I have about a hundred left. Please let me know how your luck goes with your Berry's THX, TX R.E.

·
Registered
113 Posts
raz-0 said:
Currently, i load 180gr precision deltas to 1.125OAL over 3.7gr of titegroup and get about 136pf out of them.

Razo - Which pistol are you shooting this load from, a compact or full size? Are these chrono verified?

Just asking to include in my recipie book for minor PF for 40 cal.

I have been making the following:

Berry's 180 gr rnfp

3.0 gr of Clay's

OAL= 1.125

Although I haven't chronoed this yet it does shoot soft & very clean. Can't vouch for accuracy using Clay's powder......I'm new to shooting so there is more human error than powder error as far as accuracy goes. LOL

Others have shot my pistol using those loads and they shot a nice tight group ant 30 - 35 feet. Best I can offer is YMMV

Hope to chrono in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 180 load is 5.2 gr. of 231 with a 180 gr. Rainer FP. After I use them up I'll switch to Berry's

These give me a 162900 PF out of the full sized MP. They aren't mousefart loads but do shoot pretty soft.

Gringop

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Throwin Lead said:
[quote name='raz-0']

Currently, i load 180gr precision deltas to 1.125OAL over 3.7gr of titegroup and get about 136pf out of them.

Razo - Which pistol are you shooting this load from, a compact or full size? Are these chrono verified?

Berry's 180 gr rnfp

3.0 gr of Clay's

OAL= 1.125

Although I haven't chronoed this yet it does shoot soft & very clean. Can't vouch for accuracy using Clay's powder......I'm new to shooting so there is more human error than powder error as far as accuracy goes. LOL

Others have shot my pistol using those loads and they shot a nice tight group ant 30 - 35 feet. Best I can offer is YMMV

Hope to chrono in the next few weeks.[/quote]

I got out and did some experimenting with my berry's loads a while ago. the post is in this thread:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...highlight=180gr

all are form my .40 fullsize. The most accurate was 1.130 180gr RN (double struck) over 4.5gr of titegroup. very accurate round, makes about 160pf. Just a wee bit short.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Razo

Thanks for the link to your chrono tests. Looks like I'll be tring your minor load some time soon.

Question - Does varing the OAL (+ or - .003 to .005) have any result on velocity?

In other words - Will the velocity for a round at 1.130 vs. 1.125 be much of difference?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: 40 pet loads

TXRedEye said:
My definition of accurate is when about fifteen to forty bullets group in one inch at ten yards.

1 inch ? what kind of weapon do you have that shoots that ?

180 gr rnfp berry's.

4.4 grain titegroup

1.135 oal

Winchester small rifle primers.

crimp.. .421

Makes major out of my G35 if you want to shoot minor drop the load to 3.6 gr's.

Accurate load, i have no idea if it would meet your accuracy requirements, never tried.. at 20yds it shoot's about 3" groups..

That load i've used for any number of different plated bullets @ 180.. all work pretty close to about 170-2 PF..

Good luck.

Jeff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Mousekiller said:
TXRedEye said:
My definition of accurate is when about fifteen to forty bullets group in one inch at ten yards.

Kimber Tactical Pro II, Taurus PT 1911, My M&P only shoots slightly larger than these. Pls remember this is a bench rest load using shot bags at ten yards. Kimber and Taurus are 45 cal loads, so fwiw. My Colt AR shoots less than one inch at 100 yards using pet reloads.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
TXRedEye said:
When I shot PPC we used to put 14 rounds into the X ring at 7 yards, on a good day it would run about a 1" group, actually shoot the letter X off the target, when then used that hole as the aiming point when we went back to 15 yards, of course this was with a 38 special custom target pistol with excellent sights, a trigger pull as smooth as a babies bottom and nice light 38 special loads.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Mousekiller said:
[quote name='TXRedEye']My definition of accurate is when about fifteen to forty bullets group in one inch at ten yards.

180 gr rnfp berry's.

4.4 grain titegroup

1.135 oal

crimp.. .421

Accurate load, i have no idea if it would meet your accuracy requirements, never tried.. at 20yds it shoot's about 3" groups..

That load i've used for any number of different plated bullets @ 180.. all work pretty close to about 170-2 PF..

Good luck.

Jeff.[/quote]

Yours is pretty much the same as mine. I am new to reloading but I am pretty happy with these. I am using CCI primers an COAL of 1.126--All else the same. Don't have a chrony....yet

·
Registered
246 Posts

Berry's 180 gr rnfp

3.0 gr of Clay's

OAL= 1.125

Hope to chrono in the next few weeks.

Did you ever get to chrono yet?

I'd be surprised if that load would make minor pf.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most accurate minor load for me is Zero 180 3.5 T. G. @1.135, My lead 180 at same spec is almost as accurate, shot a 15yd 5 shot group with it today in my EAA limited shot .787" for 5 shot avg. Major is 4.7 T. G. or 5.0 N320 @1.200. Another good load for .40 is 135 Berry's 4.7 T. G. @1.135

·
Registered
13 Posts
TXRedEye & CLB

When you guys are using ~4.4 grains of Titegroup, have you found the that the barrel/brass get hot? Just curious after reading other reviews on the stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts

180 gr rnfp berry's.

4.4 grain titegroup

1.135 oal

crimp.. .421

Good luck.

Jeff.

Yours is pretty much the same as mine. I am new to reloading but I am pretty happy with these. I am using CCI primers an COAL of 1.126--All else the same. Don't have a chrony....yet

Jeff, how do you measure the crimp???

·
Registered
304 Posts

180 gr rnfp berry's.

4.4 grain titegroup

1.135 oal

crimp.. .421

Good luck.

Jeff.

Sorry to hijack, but I'm new to reloading pistol. Why are you guys using small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers?

·
Registered
559 Posts
TXRedEye & CLB

When you guys are using ~4.4 grains of Titegroup, have you found the that the barrel/brass get hot? Just curious after reading other reviews on the stuff.
I'm surprised I didn't see this thread before.

Titegroup has an unusually high proportion of nitroglycerine. This is what causes it to shoot so hot. I've stopped using it for revolvers because it would get the cylinder literally too hot to handle when doing reloads, and don't use it for bullets with exposed lead bases due to the smoke from vaporized lead caused by the higher heat. I still use it for bottomfeeders with bullets with enclosed bases because everything else about it is just about perfect. My M&P9 and M&P40 love it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts