MP-Pistol Forum banner

40 S&W practice ammo to duplicate Corbon DPX 140 grn

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chuckg 
#1 ·
Has anyone found an off the shelf load that somewhat duplicates the felt recoil of the Corbon DPX 140? Duplicating the accuracy to the nth degree is probably not as much of a concern.

I have never fired the Corbon yet myself but considering it for carry/defense purposes. At $30 for a box of 20, practising with it is cost prohibitive. So I'm wondering if there is something else cheaper that feels similar when fired. Any experiences are appreciated..

ETA.. I have read hints that it is not a snappy as other 40 S&W ammo with heavier / slower projectiles. Which is the main reason I was wondering if there was something available that felt the same even though the terminal ballistics might be totaly different.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
G56

Thanks for the welcome and the link. The first bullet DocGKR lists for the .40 is the Barnes XPB 140, which is the exact projectile Cor-Bon uses for the DPX 140. His reccomendation combined with the reduced snap/recoil is why I'd like to use the DPX.

Dan

Thanks for your thoughts as well. I am going to try and contact Cor-Bon dorectly to see if they can make a specific recommendation. As a side note.. you worked on the trigger of my full size M&P 40 last year about this time. Spectacular work, thanks again. I'll be picking up a M&P 40C next week and hope to get it to you for the exact same treatment!

If anyone else has been through this exercise, please post what you use to mimic the Cor-Bon DPX. I'll be sure to post back what I hear from them directly.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thx revchuck.. I'll have to try the WWB side by side and maybe a couple other lighter off the shelf loads to compare.

I just got off the phone with a tech over at Cor-Bon and he said I could try their performance match ammo but didn't think it would really duplicate the effect of the DPX. His words were that the DPX was really something special when fired from an M&P. Apparently he has experiance with this pistol.

So I asked him about re-loading and he said this was probably the best bet and to start off with a lighter projectile like the DPX and try to get close to the velocity. I have reloaded rifle cartradges but never handgun calibers. Any members out there have a suggestion on a cheaper light weight projectile (140 gn) .40 cal and powder combo I might look at to achieve 1200 FPS out of a 4" barrel? It probably wouldn't have to get to 1200 FPS.. the goal would be just to achieve the feel of the DPX. Any insights are greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.