MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered some .40 size dies and about to order some lead for reloading. Has anyone had any problems shooting SWC in thier .40 size guns?

Feeding problems, ect..

·
Registered
937 Posts
Just watch your OALs. I seemed to get a bit of drag on the Oregon Trail RNSWC at anything over 1.130"

For a flat point WC, I would go with as short as you can safely. I've had issues with feeding Rainier flat points at anything over 1.125", but my seating consistancy is not the greatest.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use both a TC (truncated cone) and a FP (flat point) in lead(165, 180 & 200 gn) loaded to an OAL of 1.125 or 1.30 with no feeding issues. The key component that I found is to case guage each round. Even though I use a EGW die to resize I find maybe 5 in a thousand that don't pass muster with the case gauge. In all cases it the brass not the bullet - I didn't resize them well enough.

Never tried a SWC. I would be curious to hear from others as well but in my case if ain't broke don't fix it - I get good results with both accuracy and feeding with what I use.

Edited for spelling

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Throwin Lead said:
I use both a TC (truncated cone) and a FP (flat point) in lead(165, 180 & 200 gn) loaded to an OAL of 1.125 or 1.30 with no feeding issues. The key component that I found is to case guage each round. Even though I use a EGW die to resize I find maybe 5 in a thousand that don't pass muster with the case gauge. In all cases it the brass not the bullet - I didn't resize them well enough.

Never tried a SWC. I would be curious to hear from others as well but in my case if ain't broke don't fix it - I get good results with both accuracy and feeding with what I use.

I am using a Dillion and have found once it is setup OAL is pretty much the same, as long as it is the same run of brass.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I reload on an RL550. As you said once the tool head is setup it just repeats and the powder measures are extremely repeatable. Plus with a no BS warranty you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was having a lot of feed problems with Bear Creek SWC's in my 40. I tried many, many different lenght conbinations. I never could get them to feed reliably. I've had no problems with any other bullet style.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sphpkr said:
I was having a lot of feed problems with Bear Creek SWC's in my 40. I tried many, many different lenght conbinations. I never could get them to feed reliably. I've had no problems with any other bullet style.

Now that is not what I wanted to hear:)

I may try a small order then just to make sure the gun will feed them properly.

·
Registered
937 Posts
You might also try Meister hard-cast bullets. www.meisterbullets.com I picked up some hardcasts for a Makarov load and they're really nice to load. They're certainly not as soft as Oregon Trail. The lube seems to be better quality, too, as I had less flake-off than the OT's.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Fiero.

That is actually what I have been loading for my 9mm. Been buying at Gander believe it or not since shipping costs were less, but they do not have any 40.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So far with my .40 compact I've loaded and shot;

175 grain SWC (Bull-x brand from a large order many years ago)

180 grain FP (Penn bullet)

155 grain lead SWC (local lead product made here in UT)

155 grain copper coated (Ranier)

And many JHPs with not a single issue.

Using up my AA #5 and some old Unique. Also some W 231.

Using a Lee Classic Turret, Lee Classic cast and some of my old reloads were loaded on my Dillon 550b (sold a few years ago)

The 155 SWC have left a little lead in the barrel. The others have not.

Take care, bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts