MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant make up my mine between 9mm or 40 I have glock G33 and G23 also G30 im skeptical of 9mm can someone give me some advice thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
well, that all depends on how well you do with recoil. I like lower pressure rounds that aren't so snappy like a 40. I have a 9 and I am getting pretty quick with it. I haven't shot a MP40c but everyone says it isn't as bad as other 40 cals. The 2 40's that I shot were too jumpy and just not very fun to shoot for me. If you shoot a lightweight .357 mag snubbie all of the time then the 40c would probably be easy for you...

you should just go ahead and get both because you'll want to later anyway.

I thought this thread sounded familiar...

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2721

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few reasons I can see for selecting a 9mm is the cost of ammo for practice another 2 rounds in the mag. and a light recoil that would be more comfortable for seniors and people of small stature.

I have just purchased a .40c and it shoots great. Thanks to the well thought out grip design, recoil, for me, is not a problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I struggled with the same question, eventually went for the 9C. All of the ballistics aside, both pro and con for each caliber, it just came down to a personal comfort level. That, and my wife can handle it as well but she may have had a problem with the 40C.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I went back and forth between the 9C and the 40C and ultimately decided that I was more interested in greater potency than milder shooting... bolstered by the comments from others that the 40C was comfortable to shoot, I decided to go with the 40C. So far around 500 rounds through it and I'm very glad I went with 40... it's no big deal at all in this gun... very comfortable to shoot and excellent defense potency. What's more important to you, greater defense potency or having a milder shooting gun? Whichever way you go, either is a great gun.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yukon... I agree that both nine and forty can be capable of doing the job if all other factors align well. It's just that given the choice in a gun of this size which handles 40 so comfortably, I prefer the greater potency of 40 myself. However, in an even smaller and lighter gun, such as the Kahr PM, I choose the PM-9. As for .380? ...NO WAY, 9 is the minimum for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too like a larger caliber weapon. When I was first introduced to the M&Ps, the store did not have a 40 compact there to sell, so I opted for the 9 compact. Two weeks later I also had my 40 compact. When the .357 sig compact is in the dealer's hands, I will own one of those. Actually my favorite carry weapons are the ones with 357 in it, either .357 magnum or .357 sig.

Dennis

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never shot a MP 9c, but I've shot a glock 19 (9mm) and liked it alot. I recently got my conceal gun license so I was looking for the perfect handgun. I almost bought a 4003 which shot excelent but I felt it was more of a home defense weapon that a ccw. I went to my local gun dealer when I discovered the MP compact. It was a 9c and it felt good in my hand. I went ahead and ordered a 40c. I finally got it and I LOVE IT!!! Very accurate, recoil is not bad at all, small and it's a S&W. I use a Highnoon holster (split decision), and it is very comfortable. I carry it everywhere now and feel very comfortable and confident that it will perform if I ever need it. (Hopefully I will never cross that day). However, I would go with the 40c. It's true the rounds are a little more expensive (average $3 more per 50rds), but in the long run, if you ever needed it, I believe you would benefit more from the 40. (IMHO)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never shot a MP 9c, but I've shot a glock 19 (9mm) and liked it alot. I recently got my conceal gun license so I was looking for the perfect handgun. I almost bought a 4003 which shot excelent but I felt it was more of a home defense weapon that a ccw. I went to my local gun dealer when I discovered the MP compact. It was a 9c and it felt good in my hand. I went ahead and ordered a 40c. I finally got it and I LOVE IT!!! Very accurate, recoil is not bad at all, small and it's a S&W. I use a Highnoon holster (split decision), and it is very comfortable. I carry it everywhere now and feel very comfortable and confident that it will perform if I ever need it. (Hopefully I will never cross that day). However, I would go with the 40c. It's true the rounds are a little more expensive (average $3 more per 50rds), but in the long run, if you ever needed it, I believe you would benefit more from the 40. (IMHO)

·
Registered
367 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I feel the 9mm is plenty potent.
My dealer carries a .32 S&W and he always gets ragged on by the 1911 guys but as he says "none of them will let me shoot at them".

·
Registered
414 Posts
Unfortunately, pistol calibers are only barely marginally effective manSTOPPERS to begin with. Any caliber can kill - though it usually takes some time - too much time (slow bleed out, infection, etc.), but to STOP a threat RIGHT NOW (which is the defensive objective) is not so easy to achieve... especially with smaller calibers.

S&W did such an amazing job of making the recoil mild in the M&P 40 Compact (it is remarkable how mild shooting the .40 C is). It must be the combination of springiness of the frame and the low bore axis). For these reasons, I see going directly to the 40 as something of a no brainer. Not that the increase in potency over a hot 9mm +P is huge, but it is significant. Of course, I would not volunteer to be shot at with a 9mm... :wink: And the 9C does hold 2 more rounds than the 40C, which is never a bad thing. Somewhat close call between the 9 and the 40, but the 40 definitely gets the nod for my money. I'm still amazed and scratching my head over how mild the recoil feels with the 40C. SO patrick... have you made your decision yet?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You .40 guys kill me. I have weapons in .9mm, .40 and .45, so I'm not trying defend the 9mm because it's all I have, but the facts are the a good quality 9mm +p or +p+ hollow point has almost the same real world stopping power as any .40 (I believe the current statistics on a one stop shot are 91% for the 9mm and 96% for the .40). I know, if I need to use it, the bad guy will be getting shot more than once. The users ability to place the shot where it counts and to follow up with quick additional shots if far more important than caliber size. If you're comfortable shooting 9mm, go for it and carry with confidence and by all means practice...alot.

·
Registered
414 Posts
modiecast... yes, absolutely! Practice is the KEY!

I have a bunch of handguns in three-eighty, thirty-eight, three-five-seven, nine, forty, forty-four, forty-four magnum, forty-five, forty-five Colt, and twenty-two.

Nine is cool, for sure. And if I can only pack a reaaally little gun (Kahr PM-9), then nine will do for me too. My Browning HP in 9 is nice, but my BHP's in forty are even better.

No doubt that a nine with the best ammo you can stuff in it may suffice for the evil you might face. But let's not forget that ANY handgun caliber is a mediocre man stopper, AT BEST! If the balloon goes up and you are facing your worst nightmare, you will wish you had at least a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buck. If you're lucky, you'll at least have a handgun and you will probably hope for the most potent load you can put in your hand and still shoot reasonably well!

I just pushed a quick 21 rounds (two mags+) through my 40C before I head off for bed (I shoot in my laundry room before retiring for the night). Gotta say, this little 40 Compact is incredibly easy to shoot well and is stone reliable... I really see no reason not to go for forty, in my humble opinion anyway. YES< of course, I'd be happy to have a nine, but much happier with a forty... when the chips are down. 8)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts