MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk some more about the reports of problems with the magazine catch malfunctioning. I'd like to focus on the 40compact model, but some items apply to the catch in general. Okay, so the M&P mags are metal. Plus, the mag catch on my 40Compact (as well as my full size 40 for that matter) has a metal insert that engages the cutout on the mag. The mag catch spring is a set up just like the Glock...a straight piece of spring steel that's under tension to hold the mag catch in the engaged position. So what is actually failing for you folks with the problem? My catch doesn't require much pressure to release the mag, but it does require some movement. The mags do wiggle around in the well some, but I can NOT pull them out, even when fully loaded, no matter how much I wiggle them around, unless I push the release. I hear reports about failure starting to show up after 400-500 rounds. What would cause that? Is the metal insert in the catch actually failing? Or would the spring steel actually fatigue that quickly? If it's the spring, no way would replacing just the catch solve the problem. See what I mean, I'm puzzled here. I am thinking strongly about shaving off some material from the front of the catch (the texturing unfortunately) to make it a little harder to "bump" into with my thumb. But that is an operator induced malf, not the mag catch itself failing. It's a design error in my opinion, but not that big of a deal. Anyway, thanks for any input you folks might want to contribute.

----Wyley

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me be the first to reply to my own post. Today the mag catch dumped the mag while the little compact was riding in a BladeTech IWB. I hadn't had the mag catch fail during firing so I was giving it a "shake down cruise". Well, it sank. This ends the M&P40Compact involvement for a while. It's gonna sit in the vault until this problem gets straightened out. Back to the Glock 23 in the meanwhile. Too bad, as I was really starting to like this little pistol. I may have some time later, maybe in the fall, to mess around with it, but for now it's not an option. As it was in an IWB, the mag didn't actually fall out onto the ground, but, still very much NOT a warm and fuzzy!

·
Registered
638 Posts
politegunner said:
Let me be the first to reply to my own post. Today the mag catch dumped the mag while the little compact was riding in a BladeTech IWB. I hadn't had the mag catch fail during firing so I was giving it a "shake down cruise". Well, it sank. This ends the M&P40Compact involvement for a while. It's gonna sit in the vault until this problem gets straightened out. Back to the Glock 23 in the meanwhile. Too bad, as I was really starting to like this little pistol. I may have some time later, maybe in the fall, to mess around with it, but for now it's not an option. As it was in an IWB, the mag didn't actually fall out onto the ground, but, still very much NOT a warm and fuzzy!

That's bad news for sure PG and it seems to be happening an awful lot. Mags dropping, slides locking on last round, and pins moving. I've got 2 of the 3 solved (new mag catch and slide release lever spring) am I'm now working on the restless pin syndrome. IMHO, S&W has a narrow window of opportunity to make this gun right. Many of us are also Glock and XD owners and we are used to guns functioning perfectly right out of the box (and for a long time afterwards). Unfortunately, this has not been the case for more than a few M&P owners, particularly compact owners.

I really like the M&P but unless you have full confidence in your weapon, you are never going to have the warm and fuzzies and you end up with a gun that stays in a safe or gets traded or sold. I think we'll get there with the M&P but time is a passing. I'd say S&W has a year give or take to resolve things because good news travels fast and bad news travels at the speed of light. If the perception among the general shooting public is that the M&P is a problem child, it will become yet another S&W semi-automatic that could have been a contender. I don't think that is going to happen but I am a little concerned.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too true, we are ahead of the "learning curve" here with the M&P format. I spent some time at the bench and think I see the problem. Actually, a combo of three issues: Mag catch spring does not have enough tension on the mag catch; not enough engagement of the metal insert on the catch into the mag catch cutout on the mag which means not enough travel of the catch before the mag disengages from the catch and drops; and a fairly big mag catch---especially lots of material on the front (towards the trigger) that's easy to bump with thumb or body. They're all related, more or less. Changing one helps with others, etc. I'm grinding away on the catch to make it harder to hit, and trying to somehow put a "shim" into the spring slot on the catch to increase tension somewhat (feeble!), and I also very slightly ground away on the part of the catch that hits the frame to allow the catch to go into the frame deeper thus increase movement before disengagement. Sheeesh...Rube Goldburg! I need to yank out the mag catch spring to shorten it...can this be done like it can on a Glock? It's too long and hits the frame if travel gets longer. See...it's just an overall poor design. Maybe by....Christmas???....S&W will have a whole new unit out. I have both #1 and #2 mag catches and they are pretty much the same as far as I can see. The dimentional differences are way too small to properly address this issue. Yup, back to the G23....and where the heck is spell check?!?

·
Registered
638 Posts
politegunner said:
Too true, we are ahead of the "learning curve" here with the M&P format. I spent some time at the bench and think I see the problem. Actually, a combo of three issues: Mag catch spring does not have enough tension on the mag catch; not enough engagement of the metal insert on the catch into the mag catch cutout on the mag which means not enough travel of the catch before the mag disengages from the catch and drops; and a fairly big mag catch---especially lots of material on the front (towards the trigger) that's easy to bump with thumb or body. They're all related, more or less. Changing one helps with others, etc. I'm grinding away on the catch to make it harder to hit, and trying to somehow put a "shim" into the spring slot on the catch to increase tension somewhat (feeble!), and I also very slightly ground away on the part of the catch that hits the frame to allow the catch to go into the frame deeper thus increase movement before disengagement. Sheeesh...Rube Goldburg! I need to yank out the mag catch spring to shorten it...can this be done like it can on a Glock? It's too long and hits the frame if travel gets longer. See...it's just an overall poor design. Maybe by....Christmas???....S&W will have a whole new unit out. I have both #1 and #2 mag catches and they are pretty much the same as far as I can see. The dimentional differences are way too small to properly address this issue. Yup, back to the G23....and where the heck is spell check?!?

I am hoping beyond hope that I can reach a point with my M&Ps where I too am confident to carry. I am optimistic but never having had any of these problems with other guns - and they are not isolated problems by any stretch - I am growing a wee bit weary. As I said earlier, S&W has a narrow window to fix this stuff given the power of the internet and the plethora of other guns to buy. They are not there yet, and despite the great feel of the M&P, I am reluctant to go 24/7 with either my 9c or 40c just yet but I am hopin' "). For now I rely on my Sig P239, Glock 23 or XD-45 Compact but I'll keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts