MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say I am a die hard Glock fanatic! However, I'm becoming more and more intrigued by these damn S&W M&P pistols. All my Glocks are 9mm and 45acp. I have an absolutely endless supply of 40sw brass at my disposal, therefore I thought that IF I took the plunge on one of these new fangled M&Ps, I would go with a full-sized 40.

I'd run this in Stock Service Pistol in IDPA matches, which has a 125pf, and was looking for a load for Berry's 180rn. Doing the math, it looks like I'd only have to push the 180 around 700fps...gamer load for sure, but would it function the pistol without respringing the guide rod? Also I have tons of Win231, which I'd love to use for this load, but I'm not against using another powder...also have a ton of WinWST and BlueDot.

Thanks guys for any info or suggestions...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The berry's 180gr bullets are most accurate out of mine pushing between 140 and 150pf.

4.2 gr of titegroup gets me about 146-ish power factor. 4.5 gets about 155pf. Both with 1.130 nominal OAL mixed brass. at 4.7pf I was making baout 168 or so, but accuracy was for crap.

I also worked up a load for universal clays. 4.3 gave me about 148pf, but accuracy is not great because the SD is REALLY high as UC isn't terribly happy making light loads. Shoots REAL soft though.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I think you should be prepared to play the spring tuning game at that low power factor. My M&P40 likes much warmer loads (930 fps with 180's)to function reliably. IPSC Major is as far down as I will go. I compete but am not competative so am not after the last bit of advanage. I use IPSC matches to see if I have improved my ability to protect and for the fun. My 40 is also my carry so I will not detune it for any reason.

I think you will like the M&P. Enjoy

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
TOF said:
I think you should be prepared to play the spring tuning game at that low power factor. My M&P40 likes much warmer loads (930 fps with 180's)to function reliably. IPSC Major is as far down as I will go. I compete but am not competative so am not after the last bit of advanage. I use IPSC matches to see if I have improved my ability to protect and for the fun. My 40 is also my carry so I will not detune it for any reason.

I think you will like the M&P. Enjoy

:twisted:

Oh yeah, forgot one ting I wanted to mention for the record. In playing around I worked up a 104pf load just to see what 4gr of UC would do. It functioned fine. ACtually I wish the accuracy wasn't total crap with it, as it owuld have been a great steel load. Ejection was similar to what you get out of a glock at 126-128pf. Cases dribble out but it runs reliably.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I run Berrys 180s with 5.2 gr of 231. They run around 910fps ave. It is very soft shooting but nowhere near 125 PF, more like 160.

Gotta love that 231, I run it in all my pistols except the 45 LC.

Gringop

·
Registered
521 Posts
It would be great to have you on-board but....

All it takes is ONE M&P. After that, they seem to multiply and take-over! If you truly love your Glocks then don't try the M&P!!! They are that good IMHO.

As far as 40S&W in SSP, Pat E. is running a 40 with Tightgroup. I shot it and it feels lighter than my 9mm load! Only thing I didn't like was that the slide seemed to move a little sluggish. (just for comparison...I started with a 147g 9mm load and changed to a 125g load pushed faster. I like the timing better). But if you like a heavier bullet going slower the minor 40 shoots really soft. On the 9mm I had no problem using the standard recoil spring with minor loads, not sure about the 40. If you already have a set different weight recoil springs for your Glocks you can use them in the M&P.

Andy

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
ArnisAndyz said:
As far as 40S&W in SSP, Pat E. is running a 40 with Tightgroup. I shot it and it feels lighter than my 9mm load! Only thing I didn't like was that the slide seemed to move a little sluggish. (just for comparison...I started with a 147g 9mm load and changed to a 125g load pushed faster. I like the timing better).

I also prefer 124s to make 9mm minor over 147gr bullets. You should try 165gr .40s using titegroup it's pretty soft while still keeping the slide moving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts