MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting some shot shells for my MP45.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and what advise they

could give me as far as what brand to use, how many pellets are in them, are

they good for self defense and could a guy shoot clay with them, and purhaps

most important... Are they Harmful to the gun? Thx.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
sof said:
I've been thinking about getting some shot shells for my MP45.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and what advise they

could give me as far as what brand to use, how many pellets are in them, are

they good for self defense and could a guy shoot clay with them, and purhaps

most important... Are they Harmful to the gun? Thx.
Shot shells are useless for self defense. If you can get them to feed then they might be ok for rats, but I wouldn't want to get close enough to a rattle shake to use them against it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Do not use them for self defense! I have used some in my 9mm for chipmunks and other small vermin. I haven't noticed anything negative to the gun in a couple hundred rounds other than more cleaning!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
good to know wouldnt mind handling some varmit....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just bought some CCI shotshell in 45 this weekend. They use #9 shot, don't know how many. Have not had time to try them yet. Got them for snakes on the farm. I will post up as soon as I get the chance to shoot em.

I have been using the CCI shotshell in my .22 magnum revolver and they work great for snakes. Prefer to carry my 45 so I am gonna give them a try. My biggest concern is with feeding after the first shot, but these appear to be made for semi auto, so we shall see. Here is a link.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/shotshell.aspx

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh by the way...

+1 on NOT for self defense! Probably just piss the BG off...although a shot to the face could put an eye or 2 out I suppose. Kinda like Red Ryder BB guns...lol.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
tsix said:
Oh by the way...

+1 on NOT for self defense! Probably just piss the BG off...although a shot to the face could put an eye or 2 out I suppose. Kinda like Red Ryder BB guns...lol.

I always chuckle seeing a red ryder bb gun at wally world...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ah yes, the Red Ryder BB gun, where it all started with me. Coincidentally I did almost shoot my eye out, we shot my dad's truck (dont tell him) and just like the movie it came right back and hit me in the cheek.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Okay, so I finally got out to the range today and ran ten of the shothells thru my M&P 45. Shot the target at 5 yards and was surprised at how well the pattern held. It had a pellet covering every half inch of a ~20 inch diameter circle (first shot). Every case ejected every time and every round fed every time. Even the range master commented on the pattern and how well they held together. He was nervous that I might be thinking of SD with these, but I put him at ease with the snake situation at the farm. The wad, or whatever you call the plastic at the nose, would drop off about 6 inches or so, don't think it would do much damage, but I bet it would hurt like the dickens.

Bottom line, if you are thinking of using them for rats/snakes or other close in varmint control they would probably work well. I will give an update when/if I ever have cause to use em on a snake, but I suspect they will work better than the .22 magnums I have used, and the .22 worked well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts