MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first handgun. I have already made up my mind on the M&P compared to the Glock. I was pretty much set on the 45 until I read up on the 357 sig ammo. I was wondering if anyone out there had both and could recommend one over the other for a first timer hand gun. I've had rifles in the past, but I am now heavily into the market for a pistol and I'm trying to decide before January 15 so that I can get the two extra mags (or wait, this is my first post, so should I say clips and argue that they are the same thing?) and the $50 rebate. I'm really just looking for first time hand gun suggestions. I tried out my buddies G22, but really prefer the M&P feel over that. Thanks for the help.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Well I like the 45 a lot better but I own one, and no the recoil isn't bad. I also own a 9mm. My feeling is that if its to be primarily a self defense/home defense pistol then you're better off with a 45 than a 357Sig. If it's to be primarily a range pistol or plinker then you're best off with a 9mm because of the cost of ammunition. The 9mm will still be a fine defensive pistol and you'll be able to afford to shoot it - something that may not be affordable with a 357sig.

If you absolutely must have the 357 Sig then at least buy a 40S&W barrel so that you'll be able to afford to shoot it once in a while. Why don't you sit down and think through it a bit and compare costs. That 357 Sig isn't going to kill a home invasion any deader than the 45 but it just might kill your budget.

Updated

50rds 9mm Blazer @ Walmart = $8.50; 100rds = 16.00

50rds 40S&W WWB @ Walmart = $14; 100rds = 26.00

50rds 45acp Blazer @ Walmart = $15; 100rds = 28.00

50rds 357Sig WWB @ Walmart = $23; 100rds = 46.00

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not one to tell someone what to do... but if this is your FIRST handgun, I'd be going for something with a little less kick. A 9mm is a great round to start on. Some people even think 40 isn't so bad, if the recoil isn't too bad in that particular gun.

Its just me... but shooting (pun intended) for the Big Dawg 45 right away is only a recipe for recoil disaster for years to come. 357 wouldn't be too bad though.

Again, that's just me. And most professional gun trainers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dont think the 45 is that bad for a first gun. My girlfriend shoots my compact 45 better then she does my fullsize 40 and enjoys it better. She just bought a 9mm though (kind of talked her into it).

We went and shot a 357 revolver and that was way too much kick for her. Far more then the 45. The 38 ammo we shot thru it wasnt bad at all though.

I would try shooting someone elses gun if you can that is in the calibers that your looking at or go to a range that allows you to rent different handguns to try them out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
MADMAX22 said:
I dont think the 45 is that bad for a first gun. My girlfriend shoots my compact 45 better then she does my fullsize 40 and enjoys it better. She just bought a 9mm though (kind of talked her into it).

We went and shot a 357 revolver and that was way too much kick for her. Far more then the 45. The 38 ammo we shot thru it wasnt bad at all though.

I would try shooting someone elses gun if you can that is in the calibers that your looking at or go to a range that allows you to rent different handguns to try them out.
You were most likely shooting a .357 mag not a .357 sig and thats a huge difference.

45's do have a pretty good bite to them compared to a 9mm, but the .357 sig actually kicks a bit as well, i'd recommend getting the 357 aand also buying a 40 barrel, its kinda like 2 guns in one...

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you really get down to the truth of the matter, I have yet to fire a semi-auto handgun that has what I would consider unpleasant recoil. I own pistols in 9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm, and .45 ACP and none of them "kick".

If you are already experienced with centerfire rifles, you should have no real problems adapting to any of the common service calibers in handguns.

Ordinarily, I would say to get the .45 version between the two that you mention because I have always liked the .45 ACP. But, with the M&P... The .357 Sig version offers some advantages in my opinion. First, the overall size of the .45 version is a bit larger than the .357 Sig in the full-size frame.

Also (and this was the deal killer on the .45 for me), the .357 Sig will hold 15+1 rounds in it's smaller frame while the .45 is limited to 10. I'd say that 50% higher magazine capacity is a pretty big deal, especially when the higher capacity pistol is actually smaller than the low-cap weapon.

Either way, the M&P is an outstanding platform and I'm sure that you will be pleased with whichever one you decide to go with. Try to handle and if possible, shoot both before you buy. If the gun is going to serve an all-around (range/CCW/home defense) role... I'd take a very hard look at a 9mm or .40 S&W model. But, of the two you're currently considering... I'd take the .357 Sig. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
288 Posts
For me, as someone already mentioned, one of the "cool" aspects of a 357 SIG handgun is that, for most guns, you can get a drop-in .40 S&W barrel and that is ALL you need to do to switch (you use the same magazines).

So, for example, I got my first SIG P226 in 357 SIG and then promptly bought a SIG Factory .40 S&W barrle for it.

Almost like having two guns.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
As many others have suggested, my vote goes for 9mm. It has the easiest recoil, best ammo prices, and there are plenty of widely-available defensive/duty loads that have excellent reputations.

If you're absolutely set on getting either 357 or 45, here are some factors to consider:
  • While ammo for both is expensive, 357 tends to be more expensive. In particular, some of the least expensive "bargain" practice ammo, like Blazer, isn't available in 357.
  • Both calibers have shown great success in actual shootings; but, at least a couple major agencies (Texas DPS, Oklahoma Highway Patrol) have switched from 45 to 357 and seen better results with the 357.
  • Recoil management is very subjective. Some people find they shoot 357 better (it has a flippy but very fast recoil stroke) and others prefer the 45 (which has a slower but harder "push" to it). In my experience, novice pistol shooters do better with the 45 because it isn't as loud or energetic as the 357. As skill improves, the difference tends to go away.
  • The 357 is extremely loud; some people perceive this sound as recoil and it induces a flinch.
  • For a given size gun, you'll get higher capacity with a 357 (e.g., the full-size M&P357 has 50% greater ammo capacity and is still smaller than the M&P45).
  • For long-range pistol shooting, 357 SIG is hard to beat. The very fast projectile shoots extremely flat, meaning that "point blank" range is easily 50+ yards.
  • If you were looking at a gun other than the M&P, the difference in grip sizes between a typical 357 and typical 45 would come into play. But with the M&P, unless you have really tiny hands (making the smallest M&P45 grip too big for you) or absolutely gigantic hands (making the largest M&P357 grip too small), both guns should meet your needs from an ergonomic standpoint.
  • If you wear body armor, be aware that some 357 SIG loadings can penetrate lower-rated body armor ... which could leave you carrying a gun that can penetrate your own armor if a BG gets the gun away from you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys. I am still up in the air. I think I'll go to the range and try the two out, and go from there. The accuracy/flat trajectory of the .357 is apealing as well as the .40 barrel drop-in conversion and mag capacity... Either way, just the feel of the M&P compared to my buddies G22, I have my mind set on M&P. It's really for home defence and target practice at the hunting property.

One way or another, I will report back to the forums once I have made my decision and purchase.

Again, thanks for the advice and information.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Unless you relaod you'll benefit more from M&P 9 mm

.357 sig may sound cool and I may get one one day (I reload) but I just don't think it's really much of a step up from 9mm +p+. You just pay more for ammo...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
Unless you relaod you'll benefit more from M&P 9 mm

.357 sig may sound cool and I may get one one day (I reload) but I just don't think it's really much of a step up from 9mm +p+. You just pay more for ammo...
Of course. With 357 at at three times the price of 9mm who can afford to shoot it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had pretty much the same dilemma...I have a very good friend who is an LEO and avid hunter and he pretty much talked me into the 357...in fact I even ordered one. The more research I did the more I realized that the 357 is the solution to a problem that doesn't exist...unless you are an LEO (there is an article by the same title somewhere on the web). It's a very fast and very powerful caliber designed to penetrate obstructions. It became famous when a cop from somewhere in the south east was engaged in a fire fight with a perp hiding in a trailer box. His service 45 wouldn't penetrate the 18 wheeler's shell so he pulled out his personal backup, a 357 sig, and shot through the trailer and killed the perp. If I was an LEO, I would want one as my service pistol for sure. As someone who spends a lot of time in the backcountry and is interested in home defense, the 40 gives me a lot more options at a cheaper price

I choose the 40 after looking at all the options available from various ammo makers (especially double tap). There is quite a bit of diversity in the 40 lineup, and no matter where you are in the US every mom and pop shop carries 40 ammo. It's cheaper to practice with then the 45 or 357 sig and you can get some 135 gr rounds that are wicked fast or 200 gr loads that pack a powerful punch. As an added bonus, you can buy a 357 barrel for around $95 bucks and pop it into the 40 with no gunsmithing. Can't argue with two guns in one. That's how I made my decision, and have no regrets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go 9mm. It has been noted the .357 SIG has 30% more energy than the 9mm, but that does not translate into 30% more effectiveness.

I carry/qualify with a .40 Glock 23 every day and shoot the Glock 21SF .45. I find the .45 to generate noticeably less recoil.

Finally, the .357 is loud!

·
Registered
380 Posts
,357 sig isnt a bad round at all. it is expensive. not only is it expensive, but it is also not as common or widely available at all stores.

9mm, .40, .45 ... these are standards that you will find nearly everywhere. I rarely even see .357 sig anywhere around here.

take the .45 - a nice shooter, you can get blazer brass for 11.99 a box/50, and it will hit someone really fakkin' hard.

i see the .357 sig as a better gun for a police officer, than for target or home protection.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've been going through the same debate myself. I already own two M&P 9mms so I don't need another 9mm. I don't care for the 40S&W round.

If I get the 45 I will have to get a new holster. The 45 benefits are cheaper ammo and less noise but the 357 holds 50% more ammo. But if I want a thumb safety I have to get the 45.

It's a hard decision to make.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Get the M&P 45. It's a wonderful pistol. Low barrel axis to the grip keeps felt recoil to a minimum. I respect the opinions of all the others until they go to talking about cheap. I learned a long time ago about cheap! Get the 45!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a M&P 45, but decided to do some research on the other calibers available. When comparing on line prices of quality defensive ammo, there is not too much difference bet. 40, 45 & 357sig. I do like the higher mag. capacity of the 357 & I've read the 357sig is close in reloading cost to the 9mm once you have brass. But I do tend to favor the 45 round over all. It would be nice to have a 45 M&P with a slim grip, high capacity mags and the soft push of the round as compared to the snappier 40 & 357. Decisions, decisions....

PS, My buddy's first was the M&P 40 when they first came out & he still loves it better than any of the other guns he has purchased since. I don't think you would have any trouble with the 45 either.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
17 posts and no one has said my favorite caliber war line yet...........

"a 357 may expand but a 45 will never shrink."

Sorry, I had to say it

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
17 posts and no one has said my favorite caliber war line yet...........

"a 357 may expand but a 45 will never shrink."

Sorry, I had to say it
Why should we restate the obvious. :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts