MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got out to wring out my Burwell-modified M&P .45 yesterday (Had to reload some .45 before I could shoot, and the Dillon was giving me fits due to operator headspace and timing issues) and I have to say I'm verrrry impressed. I wound up with about 400 rounds before I finally quit wrestling with the recalcitrant thing and went down to the range.

My load is a 200gr LSWC at 950fps driven by Win 231. The M&P happily digested it with only one issue - I had three failures to fire that looked something like light primer strikes. I put approximately 100 factory rounds through it and did not experience this with them. I never have FTFs with my 1911s, so I performed the pencil test using a full length pencil on the M&P, and found that the striker blow moves the pencil about two inches up before it falls back in the barrel. In my 1911s, the pencil test will normally result in a pencil mark on the ceiling.

Accuracy is outstanding. I won't bore you with numbers, but suffice it to say that I can hit just as well with the M&P as with any of my custom 1911s. I shot some paper for accuracy and to confirm the Trijicons' zero, then did some drills on Pepper Poppers, including speed and tac reloads, that were entirely satisfactory. There was little if any POI change out to 25 between my loads, ball, Hornady TAP 200gr +P, Federal 230gr HST +P, and Winchester Ranger 230gr standard pressure. One thing I noted was that the HST, a very hot load, was not at all unpleasant to shoot out of the M&P, something that cannot be said of my 40+ounce custom Kimber Warrior. In addition, the Kimber experiences intermittent premature slide lock with HSTs, (it is stone reliable with standard pressure loads) and the M&P gobbled them up like a fat kid eating cake.

The only area in which my 1911s are clearly superior (at least at this point) is in split times. I didn't have the timer out yesterday, and I'm certain my time will improve with practice, but hammers are perceptibly slower due to my not being accustomed to the reset yet. Long-range practical accuracy was excellent as well - I had no trouble knocking over Poppers at 75 at speed, from the holster.

My high thumb grip works better on the M&P than on the 1911 - my left hand thumb rests on the frame nicely between the slide stop and the takedown lever, where it is impossible to create an early lock-open. The thumb safety, modded by Mr. Burwell, has a very positive snap off and on, and it is shaped somewhat like a Brown Tactical 1911 safety, my safety of choice.

I used a Galco Jak Slide for a Glock 21, and it worked just fine. I will probably order an El Paso Saddlery #88 for it, eventually.

Takedown and cleaning: I didn't bring my manual with me, but depressing the sear release lever is unnecessary. Retract the slide to the notch where you can open the takedown lever, close the slide, and squeeze and hold the trigger. The slide will come right off.

A fairly thorough cleaning took less than 10 minutes. To reassemble, mount the slide on the grooves, and HOLDING the takedown lever in place, pull the slide back to the disassembly notch. Rotate back to the service position, and function check. You're done.

I like it. I could easily see it leaving the house with me a LOT. Offers combat accuracy+, it appears that it should be very durable and resistant to environmental issues, the price is right, and it's very pleasant to shoot. It's simple to strip and clean, and does not appear to be ammunition sensitive, and easily handles +P. The controls are in the right places, and very well shaped. Even with 11 rounds on board, it's lighter than my alloy 5" Springfield. It has conventional rifling, so it is perfectly OK to shoot lead through it without buying a replacement barrel a'la Glock or HK. All that, and it's American made to boot.

Cons: The magazines are expensive, and IMO should have a black oxide metal floorplate like the black Wilson mags. They're going to take a beating on the range. I know that would increase weight, but still. Also, the weld seam on the magazine looks a little hinky to me. The light primer strike may be an issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Took the M&P 45 to the range today and found out I didn't like the gun. Nothing wrong with the gun other then I can't seem to shoot it worth a hill of beans. It is not the gun, just didn't like the feel of the gun when shooting. I am a long time 1911 and CZ (clone) shooter and this is my first poly frame gun I have owned. Only reason I bought it was it has the manual safety and I got a heck of al trade in deal on my old S&W 915 9mm that I could never shoot worth a crap, but I was a heck of a lot better with the 915 then the M&P. Funny how just 20 rounds can tell you that you bought the wrong gun.

I took my RIA 1911 Tactical 45 along and shot it about 75 times and pulling the trigger fast as I could (10 to 12 seconds a mag) I can shoot a 3" group at 21 feet, with the M&P I didn't have a group, they were all over the target. Did I mention the Rock Island Armory is a $450 gun?

Guess I will either trade it in on a Colt Defender or a DW RZ10 (1911 in 10mm) and go back to what works for me and I shoot good.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems witht he MP45, but 20 rounds aint much of a break in/introduction. If youre a 1911 kind of guy transitioning to a polymer, striker fired system it usually aint the gun. Atleast not with only 20 rouds fired. You might want to give it a couple of hundred rounds to see if you can learn to manage the trigger. Dont care what anyone sais about how the MP trigger is close to a single action, its BS. Out of the box my MP9 wasnt even close to feeling and acting like a single action trigger. After Dan B did his thing, well thats another story. What is the trigger pull on your MP? They are supposed to be in the 6-7# range, but people have reported much heavier pulls.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes it is only a mind thing with me I guess, there is nothing wrong with the gun. I am just used to a 1911 or the CZ style and all steel. I have never really liked any alloy gun either, had two of those and got rid of both. When I bought this I made an exception and got a gun without a hammer, that one reason I have never bought a Glock or the XD to mention a few.

I have no real complaints about the function of the pistol, that is/was perfect, take down is about as simple as can be, no problems/complaints with finish, mag's were coated with a presertive that took some scrubbing with Hoppes solvent and tooth brush to get off.

As for as trigger pull, the gunsmith said it check in a 6.3 lbs and he would do the trigger job to get all the excess slack out and get trigger pull down to 3.5 lbs for $35 while I waited. I passed on the TJ and then went back to the range and had my bubble popped.

My common sense tells me to have him do the trigger job and just shoot the gun couple hunded times and see if I still feel the same or learn to love the pistol. But how many of us ever do the smart common sense thing??? :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old Navy said:
Took the M&P 45 to the range today and found out I didn't like the gun. Nothing wrong with the gun other then I can't seem to shoot it worth a hill of beans. It is not the gun, just didn't like the feel of the gun when shooting. I am a long time 1911 and CZ (clone) shooter and this is my first poly frame gun I have owned. Only reason I bought it was it has the manual safety and I got a heck of al trade in deal on my old S&W 915 9mm that I could never shoot worth a crap, but I was a heck of a lot better with the 915 then the M&P. Funny how just 20 rounds can tell you that you bought the wrong gun.

I took my RIA 1911 Tactical 45 along and shot it about 75 times and pulling the trigger fast as I could (10 to 12 seconds a mag) I can shoot a 3" group at 21 feet, with the M&P I didn't have a group, they were all over the target. Did I mention the Rock Island Armory is a $450 gun?

Guess I will either trade it in on a Colt Defender or a DW RZ10 (1911 in 10mm) and go back to what works for me and I shoot good.

No offense, but it sounds to me like you don't know how to shoot. Save the money you were going to spend on your next pistol and go take a class at Gunsite or something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
QuietShootr said:
No offense, but it sounds to me like you don't know how to shoot. Save the money you were going to spend on your next pistol and go take a class at Gunsite or something.
No offence taken I guess, but I have a lot of shooting experience with 1911 guns since about 1964, some experience with a CZ 75 clone (Tanfoglio Witness) and some with wheel guns, (not real crazy about lead spitters) shot on a pistol team in the 70's. My problem is I was forcing myself to make a change I guess that I really didn't want to make, with a pistol that just does not have a few things I always think a pistol should have like hammer and a manual safety.

All that said I have come to my senses today, and decided that I will have a trigger job done and put on a set of good sights w/o the crappy white dots and then use it as the throw in the tackle box for a trot line weight if I can't get my mind around a plastic gun. I wasn't crazy about the switch from M-14 to M-16 either, but that was 40+ years ago and I still not a real fan of the M-16 today.

I guess at 62 I'm a little old for sudden changes and maybe that is the real problem. :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh...you're never too old. I took my Dad to a Gunsite 250 course last year, and he's three years older than you. He thought he knew how to shoot before he got there, and what he said on Saturday was, "Damn it! I wish I'd known about this 20 years ago!"

None so zealous as those who have recently seen the Light

Good luck. I'm a die-hard 1911 shooter too, but the M&P .45 intrigues me a bit. I won't say I'm sold on it all the way, yet, but so far I'm intrigued.

·
Registered
26 Posts
QuietShootr said:
Good luck. I'm a die-hard 1911 shooter too, but the M&P .45 intrigues me a bit. I won't say I'm sold on it all the way, yet, but so far I'm intrigued.
Maybe that is why I bought the M&P45, it just intrigued me. :wink:

I have decided that it was just a mind set problem and will give it a go.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'll give you $350 for that ol' M&P if you don't want it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
JohnN said:
I'll give you $350 for that ol' M&P if you don't want it.
Hahahahaha, been offered $425 for it by a local dealer.
Nice try though. :wink:

Local deputy friend has offered me $500 and I told him I was having a trigger job done and if I still didn't like the gun he could have it for the $500 offer.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Old Navy said:
[quote name='JohnN']I'll give you $350 for that ol' M&P if you don't want it.
Hahahahaha, been offered $425 for it by a local dealer.
Nice try though. :wink:

Local deputy friend has offered me $500 and I told him I was having a trigger job done and if I still didn't like the gun he could have it for the $500 offer.[/quote]

Damn, and I was about to offer you $426!

Ah well, one M&P45 is good enough. For now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just dropped it off at the gunsmith for trigger job, hope it makes enough of a difference to be a keeper to use and not a safe queen or trot line weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts