MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am hoping you can help me. I have an M&P Shield .45 it shoots great, but...even right after a good cleaning when I cycle the slide it feels "rough" but only with a full or nearly full magazine inserted. Without a magazine or with an empty magazine it is as smooth as glass, but only with a full or nearly full magazine, cycling the slide feels "sticky" and if I cycle it really slowly it will not go fully forward, maybe 95%.If I cycle it "hard" its OK.

There isn't anything visibly wrong I can see, it's only had a few hundred rounds through it and to be honest it may have been this way from new and I never noticed? Or is something wrong? and if so I do I need to return it to Smith & Wesson?

I hope you can help, thank you!

·
Registered
420 Posts
If it only happens on the first round of a full mag, and it chambers when you "slingshot" the slide (pull the slide back to release the slide lock, then let it go), I'd say it's not a problem.

There may be just enough additional spring tension on the first round in a full mag to make it slightly harder to strip, and that may be what is causing it. Because it chambers when the slide is dropped "hard", like it should always be, I don't see it as a problem.

I would definitely test it numerous times with the ammo you use for defense to make sure it chambers it properly. Make sure the mags are clean inside, and use some dry lube inside to help the follower move smoothly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello all, I am hoping you can help me. I have an M&P Shield .45 it shoots great, but...even right after a good cleaning when I cycle the slide it feels "rough" but only with a full or nearly full magazine inserted. Without a magazine or with an empty magazine it is as smooth as glass, but only with a full or nearly full magazine, cycling the slide feels "sticky" and if I cycle it really slowly it will not go fully forward, maybe 95%.If I cycle it "hard" its OK.

There isn't anything visibly wrong I can see, it's only had a few hundred rounds through it and to be honest it may have been this way from new and I never noticed? Or is something wrong? and if so I do I need to return it to Smith & Wesson?

Remove the slide and look on the underside. See what looks kind of like.machining marks but very consistent? Those are there by design. As I understand it they help control slide velocity and keep the top round in the correct position in the magazine. If you rub your finger against the rim (not sure that's correct terminology for a rimless case) of the used cases you can feel where it abraded it. You are feeling that contact.

S&W designs these pistols to be sling-shoted when loaded. Only ride the slide when cycling an empty pistol. If you do press checks make sure you always slap the slide forward to make sure it's fully in battery.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The magazine spring forces the rounds up against the bottom of the slide - increasing fritction.
The magazine spring pushing those rounds up against the bottom of the slide also pushes the slide rails up against the frame rails with more force - increasing friction.

It may get smoother over time as parts wear together.

·
Registered
57 Posts

To the original OP
I have a shield 45 and mine was doing the same thing.
I called Smith and the "tech" told me that I could send
it in, but the only thing they would do was use a Dremel
to polish the surface that rides on the ingoing cartridge.
The reason I called was because the serations (his
words) were causing brass shavings inside the slide.
He stated that it was a machining error. Just My $.02

·
Registered
38 Posts
To the original OP
I have a shield 45 and mine was doing the same thing.
I called Smith and the "tech" told me that I could send
it in, but the only thing they would do was use a Dremel
to polish the surface that rides on the ingoing cartridge.
The reason I called was because the serations (his
words) were causing brass shavings inside the slide.
He stated that it was a machining error. Just My $.02
Mine left those brass particles the first couple of hundred rounds as well. It didn't malfunction so it didn't seem to affect it.

If I remember.correctly I stopped seeing the brass particles after around 350 rounds.

Since all .45 Shields have those serrations and at the intro the engineers stated they were intentional I have to assume the tech thought were either mismachined or not correctly deburred hence the brass particles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts