MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the trigger pull on the .45 some much heavier and grittier than on the 9/40s?

·
Registered
77 Posts
There has been considerable discussion about the trigger here. There seem to be two schools of thought. One being that we who think the factory trigger is crappy are whining, and those like us that think S&W had bad QC on the .45. In my case, I sent mine back to S&W under warranty since they claim the .45 is supposed to have a 6.5 lb trigger. Mine was over 8. It came back almost the same :roll: So, off it went for a trigger job. Hopefully it will come back with a 4.5 lb trigger.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me ask this a different way since I have 2 9mms and will be getting a 2nd .45 to join the one I already have. They are way different trigger pulls. So are there different parts in the two designs? Is this heavy pull related to designing the .45 for the abandoned miltary request? It cannot be blamed on pour QC if everyone is noticing the difference.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
it is not poor QC. They used a heavier striker spring and changed the angle on the trigger bar, these changes result in a heavier trigger pull. Just don't ask me why they did it :roll:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so are these things fixable with the trigger job to the same level as the 9/40s?

·
Registered
77 Posts
According to S&W, the trigger on the .45 is supposed to be 6.5lbs, just like the 9 and 40. I have seen only one out of over half a dozen that had a 6.5 lb trigger. The why is really up for speculation. Some guys have said that after a break in period the trigger improves. I decided not to wait but get it fixed by one of the smiths on this site. But to answer your question, according to S&W there should not be a difference in either of the .45 M&Ps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
UPSguy said:
so are these things fixable with the trigger job to the same level as the 9/40s?

Yep, and Dan is one of the guys who can do it. I am very happy with the work he did on my 9 and 40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts