MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the press release announcing the 45acp version of the M&P came out, I believe it mentioned that the pistol would have 10-round magazines with a 14-round option. Is the 14 rounder just a longer magazine that protrudes from the grip ? Have any of you seen it, or better yet, do you have a picture of the gun with this mag in place ?[/code]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes, the 14 round option is via an extended 14 round magazine., not a bigger framed pistol. The M&P45 has a 10 round magazine capacity.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was going to ask the sae question!

Has anyone actually seen the 14 round magazine and how far will it protrude? Any pictures yet?

I was one who felt the .45 version should have a higher capacity - it is competing against the Glock 21 (now th slimline) and the XD. Both have a higher capacity. How weird does the 14 round mag look?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The FNP-45 has one more round than either the Glock or the XD too. None of the three of them seems to have an unusually long grip. Presumably they figured out how to design their magazines to accommodate the extra rounds without adding undue length.

I saw some folks saying that S&W kept the capacity down in order to keep the grip size comfortable. But they already had to go to a double stack for the 10 rounds anyway, so going to 13 or 14 wouldn't make the grip any thicker side to side or deeper front to back.

I checked their website and they don't have any of the 45 M&P magazines showing yet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It could be that S&W's double stack is narrower than the other manufactuer's double stacks. This would do two things, make the grip smaller in circumference and hold less rounds. 10+1 rounds of a proven .45 round is a comfortable amount of firepower. Carry the regular 10 round mag in the weapon, if you feel you need a bigger mag then carry the 14 rounder as an extra. Make the 1st round count, and as many of the rest of the other 10 as you need. More rounds in a mag never makes up for poor shooting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
14 round mags

I was loading my M&P45 yesterday, and noticed that when loaded with ten rounds, all but one round stay in single stack. If all of them would double stack in the same size mag, there would be 12-14 rounds. (the holes telling you how many rounds are in the mag make this observation possible) Now, I have yet to find anywere a 14 round magazine for my M&P, so please let us know if you find one. I was looking at S&W's website, they only have ten rounders, and they are 41 bucks a pop, so I am guessing when you do find one thay are going to be at a premium.[/quote]

·
Registered
14 Posts
alzo said:
But they already had to go to a double stack for the 10 rounds anyway, so going to 13 or 14 wouldn't make the grip any thicker side to side...

Not to be rude but; that is not true. The width of the magazine well is narrower on the M&P 45 than the XD45 and the Glock 21. Simply try putting an XD mag in an M&P and you will see that it can't make it more than about a third its length in. The physical dimensions of the magazine is the limiting factor for capacity, so unless there is some purpousful internal design element that limits the capacity (which there doesn't appear to be) no additional engineering will result in a greater capacity. Regardless silly of claims (such as the XD45's rediculous marketing claim about defying the laws of physics to increase capacity) you can only put so much into a space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts