MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try the new 5 11 tactical holster shirt yet....the one that looks like a t-shirt...just curious to know how they fit with the M&P compact in it or gun of same size.How comfortable is it? How concealing is it,etc???? thanks everyone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have never used one, but a retailer did bring one to work as a sample. It did not seem that it would be sturdy enough to hold a pistol the size/weight of a MPC? Maybe it will do so comfortably and effectively, but I wasn't going to spend the $$. Something the size of a Kahr PM9 or Keltec or airweight snubby and I think it would be a good option. FWIW

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't have one, but my brother-in law does and he loves it. For me, I would need it everyday and that would get expensive. Hes a smaller guy and carried a Beretta 96 with no problems

·
Registered
14 Posts
Warmer than you would think, but works.

I have 3 of these shirts (from Botach Tactical, $35/each). I can honestly say they are a disappointment. I had been carrying OWB all winter and decided with the warmer weather I would try IWB and this... They itch (the stiching scratches) until they're broken in and are a lot warmer than they need to be.

I can hide my wallet in it easily and could carry a passport in the other side. It's a wonderful way to carry something you don't want pickpocketed. As for a CCW, the problems are 1) it feels conspicuous (not unlike a belly band, but less comfortable) 2) the shoulder straps need a balanced load and 3) you must unbutton your shirt to get to your CCW.

I can't carry my M&Pc9 in it at all (print through everything but a heavy sweatshirt).

I have found that if I carry my PM9 in one side and two mags in the other, it's balanced enough, conceals well and I can carry under a tucked-in dress shirt. I can wear slacks that fit and with or without a jacket, it's okay.

The advantages are obvious- it conceals small CCWs well, it's not on your waist (where skinny guys don't hide anything well) and there is nothing outward (especially if you wear a tie to cover the neckline) suggesting you're carrying. You don't need to disarm to ride in a car or sit at your desk.

I don't want to sound too negative. I like it- it works for this business casual guy. I can wear a sportcoat and can take it off without showing. (If anyone is sensitive to TMI, skip the next sentence) One other point is you can visit the facility without laying your CCW on the floor with your belt. A Keltec p32 disappears (but is a little difficult to grab if you need to) and a PM9 hides very well. With the right overclothes, you can hide anything. I think these are a good option if you are limited to a dress shirt and slacks (with a tie, or get the V-neck if not). A good quality tuckable IWB is probably a more reasonable option unless you simply can't carry IWB.

js

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The shirt is plenty long for my 6'2" frame. I don't know the measurement but it's probably longer than it needs to be for anyone under 6'5".

The other issue is that very few folks are shaped like the dummy in the picture. I have a 12 inch drop (44 jacket, 32 waistband) and have found that shirts have extra material for concealing. I think if I had more padding on the side of my chest, it would conceal better (the shirt pulls the pocket contents reassuringly tight against the side).

One other point- they start to smell bad. If you sweat like I do, the shirts are best pre-soaked in a bucket with lots of detergent to get all the odor out (otherwise you will smell like you just came from the gym). I have found the same problem with workout attire of many sorts. Cotton T-shirts don't hold odor like nylon or polypropylene/spandex.

The holster itself is sized for a full frame- I have a 90Two (new version of the Beretta 92) and it fits the pocket- problem is obvious, however. If you drop a keltec in it, you might have trouble finding it. (a well-placed stitch or two (or safety pin) fixes any problem like that).

js

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only problem I see with that shirt is that you have to have a button down shirt over it for it to be worthwhile. Ill stick to keeping the gun on my hip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
5-11 holster shirt

I also have a couple of these shirts and have worn them a few times. I am a larger guy with a 52" chest and 40" waist, and it is difficult, if at all, to tell when I am armed while using this holster. Access could be a problem, but I intend to have a couple of button shirts modified with velcro behind a sewn on button. The two mags do balance the load, but even with one it not terribly lop-sided. It works really well with a camp shirt which is typically worn untucked. I am also 6' 2" and the length is plenty to stay tucked in (5-11 also makes a great regular T-shirt that has some extra length on it as well). I recommend the use of this shirt, especially when you can't even hint that you are armed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It stretches a lot at the bottom. Don't let the dummy fool you.

My wife doesn't want to know when I am carrying and this is ideal. When she sees the shirt, I'm carrying an MP3 player in it. (works for that, too). It conceals completely (even if it's a somewhat large CCW).

And for the guys who need it, it can be slimming.

js

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am using the UnderCover holster shirt.

Works great. Can hold pistol, mag, light, knife, cuffs and pen...

with room to spare...under a shirt and I can't make it print or show.

Mike

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have the 5.11 holster T and it works great for me. I don't need to wear a shirt and tie often but when I do, this does the trick. I carry my 40c and it conceals very well. You are not going to be wearing fitted tapered shirts but that's not a big deal.

Now having said that. A member of defensivecarry.com (fed_wif_a_sig) Extols the UCC shirt holster, and judging by this video, for good reason. I will be getting one when I have the extra$

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/sh...p;highlight=UCC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts