MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
First time owner of a new M&P9 here so excuse the ignorance. I made 3 trips to a range and used 500rds (115gr FMJ) where last visit I used 200rds of them. During the last cleaning I noticed a small chip on the back right side of the slide rails and I was wondering if this is normal ware & tare or something to worry about? The only thing I can think of it heat & friction but the gun was cleaned and generously oiled. Shooting 200rds on the range in over 2hr period without rapid fire is hardly 'heavy use' so I am little worried. Maybe I should add grease to rails in addition to oil?

This chip is so small that is not noticeable during use but never the less I thought to ask now than later - see attached images

Thanks for your time, I appreciate the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to get through the support and they also concluded that it is not a typical spot for ware & tare damage so they advised to send it in and have them check it out.

Thanks for listening/reading :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Definitely send it in. I have a M&P9 with over 3k rounds through it, no sort of wear in that area. Looks like something was caught in that area as the slide cycled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Avedis for reassurance.
I can't think of much unless there was a piece of steel on the range table/bench = they are 'carpeted' and barely a few months old on this new range that also doesn't allow steel. I doubt that brass can win over steel but you never know.

Waiting on support to contact me back with shipping info...
Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to say, S&W product got me as a customer but their service just made me a repeat customer. They swapped the slide no questions asked although I would have liked some more info to how this damage happened - I guess we can just speculate that something was cough in the slide. I test fired 150 rds and no issues.

The 800 number was busy as I expected due to latest jump in demand but the service came through. They covered the express shipping, received it on 1/15/13 and was delivered back to me on 1/30/13.

Made in USA and backed by USA support!...YES, finally!

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I have to say, S&W product got me as a customer but their service just made me a repeat customer. They swapped the slide no questions asked although I would have liked some more info to how this damage happened - I guess we can just speculate that something was cough in the slide. I test fired 150 rds and no issues.

The 800 number was busy as I expected due to latest jump in demand but the service came through. They covered the express shipping, received it on 1/15/13 and was delivered back to me on 1/30/13.

Made in USA and backed by USA support!...YES, finally!
Thankfully, that's a typical customer service testimonial for S&W. Hope your new slide is spot-on!

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for this thread - good feedback on S&W customer service.

LL

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
If I had a tiny imperfection that didn't affect operation/performance/endurance, and was concealed with the firearm assembled, I would probably just put some protectant on it and let it go. S&W was nice enough to replace the entire slide for you, which is clearly better costomer service than I need or expect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I had a tiny imperfection that didn't affect operation/performance/endurance, and was concealed with the firearm assembled, I would probably just put some protectant on it and let it go. S&W was nice enough to replace the entire slide for you, which is clearly better costomer service than I need or expect.
...and I am no gunsmith but something told me to ask for opinions rather than wait to see what happens on my next trip to the range :) and why I posted here first.

S&W support suggested to send it in after looking over the photos - they made the call. If they pained over the chips and sent it back with assurance I would accepted that as a good customer service just as well.

Anyhow, I posted a follow up to give my kudos to S&W and the community here.
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts