MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who out there works for agencies using an 800mhz radio system? How are they working for your department. We've been having trouble with ours finding the right tower. Many times the radios just refuse to break squelch, other times they break up. Much worse in bad weather. WE're tied in to a county wide system we hoped for more dependable service from these radios. Let me know if any of you are having similar troubles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We went 800 about three years ago now. We have two towers in Galveston County. They resently updates them to smartnet, i think. The radios, both in car and HT work well for us. Iwish you luck with your radio woes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We are using the 800's and they work fine untill you get into heavily wooded areas. We are still using the MTS's though and they are analog. On the smartdex system with HC. We should be getting our APEX radios later this year which are digital and should solve most of the issues we have had.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh this topic could get me talking for hours. The key word is propagation. Long story short VHF has better penetration and range than 800 MHz.

800 MHz systems work great in theory, however if you are in a basement or wooded area don't expect communications. Here in Ohio we have the MARCS system which is a total joke. LEO communications directors think it is totally awesome, all of us communications guys realize they have no clue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oh this topic could get me talking for hours. The key word is propagation. Long story short VHF has better penetration and range than 800 MHZ.

I'll agree with you VHF has better range than 800 Mhz, but penetration? I don't think so. Not by a long shot.

My city used to be all rural/farm land. Over the past 30 years, we have grown into a highly developed area with two malls, two major highways, and hundreds (if not thousands) of commercial buildings and complexes. The sad thing is, we are still using the same VHF radio system that was used prior to all this. I can say without reservation that VHF is completely worthless inside any type of commercial structure. VHF is much better for 'line of sight', hence, the distance advantage and why it was used for rural areas. But it can't penetrate concrete/metal structures worth a damn. Add in the electrical wiring and flourescent lights, and you'd be better off with smoke signals. We have been begging and pleading to go with either 400 or 800 Mhz radio systems for years, but all we get are "patches", meant to appease the troops and shut them up for the time.

Think about this: If VHF had better penetration AND range, why would people have switched to 800 Mhz to begin with? What else besides penetration and range is there when you're wanting a good communication system?

II

1 - 5 of 5 Posts