MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shooting my 9c for the first time (2 mos ago), it failed to feed the last round on a few occasions. Thought maybe there was some "break-in" time, so I didn't get excited. Well, it didn't correct itself after some 600 rounds, so I e-mailed S&W about the problem, and they said they were not sure what the issue was, but would send me return paperwork so they could look at it. I sent it out yesterday, and will get it back around the 29th (my choice). I will let you know what happens.

Anyone else sent their compact or full size in for this? If so, what was the outcome?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have yet to have a fail-to-feed with my 9c, past 700 rounds now.

Sure sounds like a magazine issue. Does it do it with both

magazines?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carteach0:

That was the first thing I suspected also. Yes, it does it with each magazine. The 2 that came with the gun, and another that I purchased separately. That is apparently why S&W wanted to see the gun. I did not know if anyone else has had this issue.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I haven't experienced any problems like you're describing with my 9c. I've only put around 300 or so rounds through it so far, but its worked like a charm so far.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like a tough one to me. I would not be surprised if they replaced

the pistol for you.

I'd sure like to know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I had the identical problem with my Compact. 1st time at the range with about 200 or so rounds through it I had two failures to feed problems. The slide was locked back as if the last round had been fired but there was still one in the magazine.

The next time, at the range, I had a different problem. Twice a round was jammed against the throat of the feed ramp. Had to hold back the slide while someone pried out the jammed round. The casing of the two jammed rounds were crimped at the top edge. Picture below.

I called S & W service & they sent a Fed Ex return label so I could send it to them. I sent it on Thursday 1/11/07 and it was returned yesterday 1/17/7 notating the following repairs.

Characteristic Description

Repaired: Barrel Modification

Repaired: Repl. Sear Housing Blk Asy.

Repaired: Replace Slide Stop

Repaired: Inspected/Tesed & Passed

I haven't been to the range yet to test fire. Hopefully the problem has been fixed because I love this pistol! S & W customer service was great as usual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had failure to feeds also. No problems with hardball.

But when I tried 147 grain JHP and 115 grain +P+ hollowpoints I encountered problems. Typically the round's mought would stop on the feed ramp quite low down so that the round was barely pushed out of the magazine. A nudge with my finger was enough to close the slide. This happened about four or five times over the course of about seventy-five to a hundred rounds. The gun was fully cleaned and lubricated before firing. I will be calling S&W about it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have noticed a little bump in the feed process with my compact UNLESS there is a full pull back of the slide, (slingshot) and clean release. When that is done its smooth feeding. If there is anything short of that, or any riding of the slide, it does seem to bump along a bit. I don't find that terribly unusual actually. Some guns wiill smoothly feed no matter how slow you manipulate the slide, (HK's, SIG's), but others won't. With mine, and only with the compact, it's just a matter of making sure there is a good slingshot slide manipulation, with my compact anyway. Nos saying this is the problem with all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jagman said:
I have noticed a little bump in the feed process with my compact UNLESS there is a full pull back of the slide, (slingshot) and clean release. When that is done its smooth feeding. If there is anything short of that, or any riding of the slide, it does seem to bump along a bit. I don't find that terribly unusual actually. Some guns wiill smoothly feed no matter how slow you manipulate the slide, (HK's, SIG's), but others won't. With mine, and only with the compact, it's just a matter of making sure there is a good slingshot slide manipulation, with my compact anyway. Nos saying this is the problem with all.

Thanks, but in my case the problem is not happening with chambering the first shot, but after 1 or more shots is fired it is failing to feed. In fact the mouth of the round is barely at the bottom of the feed ramp if it all. It is like the recoil of the +P+ rounds or the heavier rounds almost makes the slide stay back so that a stronger recoil spring would help it. But ths slide is not really locking back since all it takes is a light touch for it to go forward.

As I wrote previously, when I fire the 147 grain JHP the slide is much slower in closing. To me that is a big hint.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all: received my gun back from S&W today. No Freebies. Paper enclosed said they had replaced the Slide Stop. Said it was inspected/tested and passed. Will go to the range this evening to test for myself.

Let you know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just returned from test firing my 9c. 200 rounds without a hitch. Hopefully, that did it. Time will tell. S&W customer service was very attentive and service was very good. Only thing is...why did everybody else get a freebie but me. (only kidding) Don't expect anythiing for free.

Good Shooting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another update " HELP!

Back to the range again, only this time had an issue. First 50 no issues. Next 100 had one FTF. Last round did not feed and had to manually close, again. Is it possible that I am at fault on this? What if I inadvertantly put the 1st round in the magazine and did not push back all the way. 1st question is this possible, and 2nd question is, if possible, could this be the culprit? I really don't want to call S&W again as I am sure they will request the gun back AGAIN. Wouldn't worry so much on the range about it but is my carry, so I do not want any issues just in case.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts