MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 9C and have yet to break it in but I have been trying to cycle fully loaded mags of 124gr GDHP's by hand and almost every round fails to feed. The hollowpoint gets hung up on the ramp. I did a polish job on the ramp and still am having problems. What I am seeing compared to my Glocks is the top round in the magazine is pretty horizontal and when the slide is released the nose of the round hits right in the middle of the feed ramp and if not enough force is present to push the round up the ramp then it gets hung up. With the Glocks the nose of the bullet is tipped up to where it is aligned with the breech hole and very little contacts the feed ramp when the round is chambered. I put a FMJ round in the mag and the issue was not as great but a definite problem is there with HP rounds.

If the mag lips where modified to tip the nose of the top round more I bet feeding would improve greatly. Anyone modify the mag feed lips or have any other suggestions to aid in feeding?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
So you haven't actually tried to shoot the gun, and you've determined its unreliable? :roll:

Put 500 rounds through the gun to break it in and then determine whether there are any reliability issues. If there are, send the gun to Smith or an authorized Smith service center. But be forewarned that by modifying the feed ramp yourself you may have created an issue or at the very least absolved Smith of any responsibility for any problem.

Cycling rounds by hand is not a dependable way to judge a gun's reliability, especially a brand new unfired gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ToddG said:
So you haven't actually tried to shoot the gun, and you've determined its unreliable? :roll:

Cycling rounds by hand is not a dependable way to judge a gun's reliability, especially a brand new unfired gun.

I plan on putting at least 200 rds through it this weekend, both FMJ and HP. I guess I am spoiled by the utter reliability of my 6 Glocks. I cycle rounds through new Glocks (and all my new semis) just as I did with the 9c prior to the break in period and the Glocks just feed everything. I'm new to the M&P and I have high expectations. I love the feel and ergonomics of the 9c compared to my subcompact Glock and want the 9c to become my primary carry gun, especially in the summer. I will do as you mentioned above and hope the M&P will be as reliable as the Glock. The only modification I did to the 9c was shine up the feed ramp with a rubber bur on a dremmel.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Some M&P 9mm pistols seem to need a little break-in period. Getting failures to feed or chamber JHPs in the first 50 or even 100 rounds isn't unheard of. I'm not suggesting that's a good thing, but neither is it something to worry about as long as the gun runs to your expectations after it's broken in.

As I said, trying to operate the gun by hand, especially when it's brand new, is not a good indicator of whether it will work at normal slide velocities.

Put the 200 rounds through it, as you planned, and let us know how it's working at that point. Hopefully -- and most likely -- it will be chugging along without a fuss.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Kahrbarian said:
I guess I am spoiled by the utter reliability of my 6 Glocks. I cycle rounds through new Glocks (and all my new semis) just as I did with the 9c prior to the break in period and the Glocks just feed everything.

That's because Glocks don't have barrels with chambers, they have funnels instead!

Seriously, the chambers on Glocks are so loose and tapered they distort all the brass that passes though them. Ever look at the big bulge in the side of the brass coming out of your Glocks?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same problem when cycled by hand. I pulled out the dremel and polished the feed ramp and it cycles much better.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
You got to break that thing in. Some pistols don't require it, but it appears that the M&P does. Don't do anything to the pistol or draw any conclusions about it until you run 500 round through it.

Many have reported that M&P does not appear to feed as "directly" into the chamber as some other pistols. It is also not uncommon for people to complain about rounds not feeding well when hand cycling the pistol. The second complaint is related to the first, not that hand-cycling is much of a legitimate test anyway. Break it in, then report back if you have issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yup. I put 150 through my wife's 9c last Fri, and she put through 300 today. Running much better now! The tolerances are alot tighter on the M&P compared to my G26.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kahrbarian said:
I just bought a 9C and have yet to break it in but I have been trying to cycle fully loaded mags of 124gr GDHP's by hand and almost every round fails to feed. The hollowpoint gets hung up on the ramp. I did a polish job on the ramp and still am having problems. What I am seeing compared to my Glocks is the top round in the magazine is pretty horizontal and when the slide is released the nose of the round hits right in the middle of the feed ramp and if not enough force is present to push the round up the ramp then it gets hung up. With the Glocks the nose of the bullet is tipped up to where it is aligned with the breech hole and very little contacts the feed ramp when the round is chambered. I put a FMJ round in the mag and the issue was not as great but a definite problem is there with HP rounds.

If the mag lips where modified to tip the nose of the top round more I bet feeding would improve greatly. Anyone modify the mag feed lips or have any other suggestions to aid in feeding?

You're riding the slide. Take it to the range and fire it. If it still happens, call Smith and they'll fix it.

Why in God's name would you modify a gun before even shooting it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Don't be surprised if the first couple mags you shoot,

the brass comes straight back at your forehead.

(not sure how they got the aim to the forehead so true but they did)

Mine started going to the right after only 20-25 rounds.

I did clean and lube mine right out of the box days before I even got to shoot it

and I do have better groups and shoot better with my M&P 9c than any Glock

i've ever shot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I suspect you are gonna find the same thing happening at the range for the first 100 rounds or so. Mine does nearly exactly the same thing. I have ~ 150 rounds thru it, figured I would give 300-400 before I get concerned. Mine shoots FMJ fine, just the JHP that hangs.

I don't see where his (the OP) polishing the feed ramp is a bad thing. I probably would have done the same thing given his circumstances. I had been reading the issues on this site for a while and knew to expect this to happen, so I haven't messed with it. Also, after my first trip to the range with the 9c, I came home and checked the feed ramp, thinkin I would polish it up some, my feed ramps are much more polished out of the box on the 9c than my M&P 45 is after ~1300 rounds, go figure.

I would give it a few hundred rounds and see how it behaves. Rest assured, if it still has issues, S&W will fix it.. and they don't make you pay for shipping it to them like Glock does... :?

Good luck and let us know your results!

·
Registered
83 Posts
cvfl said:
Yup. I put 150 through my wife's 9c last Fri, and she put through 300 today. Running much better now! The tolerances are alot tighter on the M&P compared to my G26.

I should mention that I too polished the feed ramp with Dremel and jewler's rouge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ToddG said:

Todd, I stand corrected. I took the MP9c to the range today and it shot beautifully! I shot PMC 115gr FMJ and 147gr GDHP without a single FTF or FTE. It shot as well as my G19 during the session. I like the smoother trigger of the MP too. I am very satisfied with my MP9c. Hats off to you all who put me in my place! Thanx!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Kahrbarian -- believe me, you're not the first (or even ten-thousandth) person who's done it. A lot of people like to think of a gun as some incredibly elegant, fine piece of intricate design when in fact they tend to be more like brutish contraptions. Remember, most of the fundamental design of firearms came about long, long before there were professional engineers or even an understanding of the underlying physics involved!

One of the funniest experiences I've had at a gun company was talking to a newly-hired engineer at SIG who, upon looking closely at a stock P220, said, "That really shouldn't work."

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hate to say it...but we told you so

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did a bit of polishing on the feed ramp last Friday here at the office. (got bored) Anyway, I checked the feeding after the polish and it was still hanging just a bit. So I went back in and removed just a bit of material and changed the angle of entry just a tad. Tried it again...ehh not so bad just a bit of hesitation. Made a slight adjustment to the Mag (one at a time), and bingo...I can pull the slide back slow and let it go forward slow and the HP loaded right in like butter. I didn't have to make a big change on the Mags. I noticed on top of the barrel right in front of where it's stamped 9MM...it was starting to get a wear mark. So I decided to go ahead and polish that whole chanfer nice and smooth. There was a bit of an edge on the Slide where this chanfer rides against...so I just touched it a bit to take that edge off. Man the slide is super smooth now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts