MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was really strange. I started out resting my arms on the table/shelf trying to fix my dipping problem someone pointed out to me. I shot 2 mags thru it and just about punched out a 2" hole at 12 yards. I then went to a standard standing position and aimed for a bit higher center chest and shot about a 3-4" pattern at same distance. The gun felt normal, kinda like it did the first shot. Then all of a sudden the gun began shooting as if the the damn slide was going to fling off. I dropped the Mag and removed the slide and took a look but didn't notice anything. I had one of the guys in the shop shoot a couple rounds thru it and he said..."ehh feels good to me." Well, all I know was it changed the way it fired within the 50 round box of ammo and the 20 or so carry ammo that I shot thru it. I know guns break in, but I didn't think they would break in like this. I brought it home and broke it down and cleaned it (which I do after every visit to the range). I didn't find any cracks, but the only thing I did noticed was if I placed 4 fingers on top of the slide, and my thumb under where a light would mount and pinched I got some play. I don't remember it being that much play before.

All I know is the gun just did not feel the same. It seems as though there was a lot more flame (if you will) coming out around the slide area when fired. I'm going to shoot again tomorrow after work and see if I can narrow it down better, but it just felt like the whole slide was loose when fired.

·
Registered
505 Posts
the gap between the frame and slide is normal

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PatM&P said:
the gap between the frame and slide is normal

Just didn't remember that much play. It just shot like I picked up another gun and began shooting it.

STRANGE

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
MC said:
Well, all I know was it changed the way it fired within the 50 round box of ammo and the 20 or so carry ammo that I shot thru it.

Wait, are you saying that your 50 rounds of regular ammo shot differently than the 20 rounds of carry ammo :?:

If so, you can expect your carry ammo to be more powerful because it is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it actually changed during the 50 rounds of practice ammo, I let him shoot the last 3 shots of practice ammo, then he said it felt fine to him and that it has just loosened up and they are suppose to do that and that is a good thing.
Sure they should break in but it just didn't feel right. I then loaded one of the mags with my carry ammo and wanted to see if it was just me, well it shot the same loose feeling. So I'm going to shoot it again tomorrow night and bring another carry ammo (Federal) and compare the 3 and see if it shoots the same loose feeling with all 3.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah will do, like I said...it was strange! Up until that point I felt safe and confident in the gun, once this happened I was like Woooooo hold up what just happened. I tore down there at the range, didn't notice anything and I didn't notice anything when I tore it down at home to clean it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not sure if this is even close to what your talking about

but when mine is empty slide back or closed the slide rattles and is

loose all over the place.

But as soon as a round is chambered everything tightens up, no rattle

everything is nice snug and comfy.

I've seen others talk about this so i knew not to worry.

(hope that is all it is and everything works out great)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, went back to the range tonight and I brought some Federal FMJ rounds I had, the BlackHills HPT rounds that I bought recently. When I got there I bought a box of Practice ammo they sell. I first loaded 3 rounds of the two carry ammo 3 into each mag. My findings were the Blackhills Ammo is way more violent then the Federal FMJ rounds, and of course way more then the Practice ammo. So what was happening was when I shot the BH HPT's after the Practice rounds the other night, that BH's stuff was hitting so hard that it was basically recoiling so hard that it felt like the gun was coming apart because the slide was kinda doing a slight double whammy. Basically, the recoil was over coming the recoil spring causing a slight extra movement of the slide which to me made the gun feel like something was loose. I picked up a box of the Cor Bon but needed to get home so I will shoot that stuff next week sometime and see how it does. I was happy to figure out it was the BH's ammo and not something wrong with the gun.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dude, its just a 9mm. You make it sound like a hand cannon.

Go shoot some 357MAG and get back to us.

·
Registered
81 Posts
MC,

I believe your new to handgunning and have just realized the differance between practice and

+p ammo.

Good stuff isn't it?

If your new and still keeping a 3" to 4" group at 12yds. with +p ammo your doing fine.

Have fun and welcome.

nunnya

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah this is my first Hand gun, but not my first gun. I had shot the Federal Carry ammo thru this gun but it's not quite as hot as the Blackhills +p. Of course I have common sense enough to know that I should not expect the gun to react the same shooting practice ammo to carry ammo because it is different in many ways. It was just weird shooting that night, because I thought the gun had changed during the last Mag of practice ammo. When in fact I think it was when I fired the +p stuff for the first time, as I had my 2nd Mag already loaded with the +p.

When I shot last night I shot 3 different rounds and then figured out what had happened. With that being said, I don't really care for the extra recoil action, maybe if I continue to shoot +p ammo on a regular basis I will get used to it. Plus with this being my first hand gun, that extra action felt strange to me. I am use to Rifles and Shotguns fellas lol. I'm originally from Michigan where I primarily hunted Whitetail deer. Where I lived was South of the imaginary line the state draws where you can use Shotguns vs Rifles. Buying a Handgun back then when I was under the age of 21 was not affordable.
Laws in Michigan are a bit different to. I've wanted a hand gun for a long time now, now I can afford it, and I live in Georgia so it's much easier to buy a hand gun. Now if only we could get rid of the stupid laws in Georgia!

As for thinking the 9mm is a canon...come on bro.
I didn't say the recoil scared me, or that it was blowing back like shooting a 105 Howizter.
It just felt the like gun was loose and ready to come apart, then I figured out what it was doing.

All is well here, nothing to see or read, move along.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slick26 said:
Dude, its just a 9mm. You make it sound like a hand cannon.

Go shoot some 357MAG and get back to us.

357Mag pishhh My old man had a Ruger Redhawk .44 with a 6 inch barrel that I shot a few times while visiting up North. However, I can't compare a .44 or a .357 revolver to a .357 or a .45 pistol.

·
Registered
280 Posts
.357 +P+ mag in a Ladysmith with hardwood grips is more recoil than I ever care to handle on a regular basis. Shooting a cylinder worth of that stuff punished my hands, and I'm a regular shooter of .45.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts