MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using only WWB from Wally World in my 9mm... well over 1000 rounds with no problems at all, But, I noticed they also sell Remington UMC in 250 round boxes and the UMC is a few dollars cheaper than WWB... was wondering what experience anyone has had with the UMC? Most folks have been reporting on the WWB. Thanks...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am writing my range report on the .45 right now and came across this question. I like the UMC because it's cheap, especially compared to other ammo in this area. I'm on my second 250 rd brick of UMC and have no problems with feeding, ejecting etc.

They do have a lot of muzzle flash.

My only real gripe with them is that my first box had copper slivers coming off the ammo around the base of the brass casing. When cleaning I noticed two pieces of copper, one hammered into the base of the barrel and another on the feed ramp. After this I looked at the ammo and found the slivers.

I found no slivers on my second brick of ammo from UMC. I will still be using it for practice, I'm just going to look at every round before I load.

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
You always need to inspect rounds before loading, it seems that no matter how much quality control a factory does, there's still some stuff that slips out, primers upside down, defective cases, and I've seen photos of bullets that were seated backwards, yes from the factory!

You never know when you're going to find this in a box of ammo!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply... i may give them a try anyway... that is if WW ever restocks their UMC 9mm. Afterall these are just FMJ for targets...

·
Registered
64 Posts
G56 said:
You always need to inspect rounds before loading, it seems that no matter how much quality control a factory does, there's still some stuff that slips out, primers upside down, defective cases, and I've seen photos of bullets that were seated backwards, yes from the factory!

You never know when you're going to find this in a box of ammo!

Nice picture of the famous "boat tail wadcutter"

rjs

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
That's a round that came out of the Lake City ammo plant, genuine GI ammo!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I shot a mega pak (250 rounds) of UMC 115 grain FMJ that I bought from Academy Sports. Fed fine, no malfunctions. May have a little more muzzle flash than WWB, but it wasn't distracting. I did notice that the OAL of the UMC is shorter than the WWB. Made no difference in functioning or accuracy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A friend had a UMC .40 S&W round with 2 bullets in it... one upside down and the other one all smashed in. Makes me wonder if there was any powder in there....

Jon

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
JFettig said:
A friend had a UMC .40 S&W round with 2 bullets in it... one upside down and the other one all smashed in. Makes me wonder if there was any powder in there....

Jon
Bizarre!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have run 4k+ umc in my 9s over the last year with no problems. I now use blazer brass. It is not as dirty as umc for sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts