MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I don't know when but a rep told me it will be. He had a 9mm with one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
After all of the comparisons with a Glock, which doesn't have an external safety, I fail to see the reason to add one to an M&P. Why is another safety important? :roll: Sounds like an attempt to ruin a good gun to me.

The main gun safety is the one between your ears.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree that I would never want an additional safety on my 9mm M&P. For those of you who do want one, I am interested in knowing your reasons.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
competition.

It means you can push the current safeties to the very edge doing light trigger jobs, and have suspenders to catch your pants if your belt fails due to wear... uhh... so to speak.

Also, it give you a place to rest your thumb to keep it away from the slide catch and to help manage recoil... all while still being production legal in USPSA if S&W make such a critter, and even if they don't but it can be retrofitted, would help keep the M&P on par with other guns in limited division.

I'd like a 5" M&P 40 with an external safety to make into a dedicated limited gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The neat thing about an M&P is that it is often described as a 1911 and glock hybrid, where many of those two users have transitioned to M&P because of the things they offered.

I know quite a few people that went to the M&P because it was a lightweight polymer framed striker fired with a manual safety plus a light trigger (or it can be made so), add some novak sights, low bore axis, and a 1911 grip angle then heck they even get handgasms just holding it and thinking about the thing. Add some reliability and hell you got yourself a modernized 1911 right there.

These safety features are the reasons for why some departments choose the M&P over the glock.

With such a light trigger on the M&P, it is essentially cocked and UNLOCKED 1911, part of the reason for a manual safety is so one can utilized a light trigger. I don't clearly see why it should not have an external safety, both can't be fired when hit against a wall or dropped even with the safety off. There have been however numerous cases of glocks fired when holstering/unholstering by snagging, other guns that don’t have manual safeties have super hard DA triggers to prevent that kind of accident.

Another argument most people don’t make... My Ar-15 and shotguns have manual safeties as well, and I train myself to take them off, why should my pistol be any different? Do people die in combat because they forgot to take off their safety if they do, why have I not heard of anyone making a "Safe-action" Ar-15?

Not to offend anyone who does decide to go w/o a manual safety, many of our decisions are due to personal comfort levels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
+1 on both the above posts... for all the stated reasons.

I am chomping at the bit for an M&P 9 to compliment my Glock 34 for competition. Would love a 5" barrel and the thumb safety. Those two things along with the M&P's longer beavertail would make this an awesome comp gun and give the 34 a run for its money. As mentioned, it would essentially be a polymer 1911 in feel and ergos.

Hopefully S&W makes this gun a reality.

·
Registered
319 Posts
ske1eter said:
After all of the comparisons with a Glock, which doesn't have an external safety, I fail to see the reason to add one to an M&P. Why is another safety important? :roll: Sounds like an attempt to ruin a good gun to me.

The main gun safety is the one between your ears.

I agree with this one. I was big on external safety. Infact, i almost not bought M&P becuase it didn't have external safety(This close to buy Taurus PT24/7 because of their safety).

But after carrying one with no safety, and also carrying gun with safety, I honestry fail to see the need of external safety. like the statement, best safety is between my ears, and my trigger finger

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Light Trigger = No CCW....

elbowtko said:
The neat thing about an M&P is that it is often described as a 1911 and glock hybrid, where many of those two users have transitioned to M&P because of the things they offered.

I know quite a few people that went to the M&P because it was a lightweight polymer framed striker fired with a manual safety plus a light trigger (or it can be made so), add some novak sights, low bore axis, and a 1911 grip angle then heck they even get handgasms just holding it and thinking about the thing. Add some reliability and hell you got yourself a modernized 1911 right there.

These safety features are the reasons for why some departments choose the M&P over the glock.

With such a light trigger on the M&P, it is essentially cocked and UNLOCKED 1911, part of the reason for a manual safety is so one can utilized a light trigger. I don't clearly see why it should not have an external safety, both can't be fired when hit against a wall or dropped even with the safety off. There have been however numerous cases of glocks fired when holstering/unholstering by snagging, other guns that don’t have manual safeties have super hard DA triggers to prevent that kind of accident.

Another argument most people don’t make... My Ar-15 and shotguns have manual safeties as well, and I train myself to take them off, why should my pistol be any different? Do people die in combat because they forgot to take off their safety if they do, why have I not heard of anyone making a "Safe-action" Ar-15?

Not to offend anyone who does decide to go w/o a manual safety, many of our decisions are due to personal comfort levels.

I agree with the above post. I am going to have a trigger job on my beloved MP 40, but when I do, it will only be used as a range pistol. I will not carry a pistol with a light trigger and no external safety! My MP 9c will be my ccw and my dependable Sigma, SW9VE, with the horrible trigger, will be my car gun.

Of course this may all change as my want/need list gets fullfilled! :roll:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Not from me. ETAs from gun manufacturers are basically meaningless anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its my holy grail, an M&P in 9 silly-meter with a manual saftey and and A-Grip.....I can't wait...

·
Registered
319 Posts
my M&P's safety is in between my ears...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone have an update on if/when we can expect to see the 9mm and/or .40 M&P with a thumb safety? Last traffic I've seen on this topic was from September.

·
Registered
67 Posts
5shot said:
I agree that I would never want an additional safety on my 9mm M&P. For those of you who do want one, I am interested in knowing your reasons.

My reasoning: I could have a trigger job done in the 3.5 - 4 lbs range. I am otherwise not comfortable having a very light, essentially single-action trigger with no manual safety.

A frame mounted safety lever does not slow deployment of the pistol in any way, but adds a little piece of mind when carrying a gun with a very light trigger.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
BateleurRGB said:
[quote name='5shot']I agree that I would never want an additional safety on my 9mm M&P. For those of you who do want one, I am interested in knowing your reasons.

My reasoning: I could have a trigger job done in the 3.5 - 4 lbs range. I am otherwise not comfortable having a very light, essentially single-action trigger with no manual safety.

A frame mounted safety lever does not slow deployment of the pistol in any way, but adds a little piece of mind when carrying a gun with a very light trigger.[/quote]

Agreed. That is the reason I never had my full sized MP 40 or my MP 9c triggers lightened. 1911 fans, with customized, lightened triggers don't seem to have much trouble with the safety while carrying locked and loaded.

That said, I do agree, the main safety is between your ears.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts