MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the 9mm round of choice for the experienced USPSA shooters out there?

I've played around with AmEagle in 115, 124, & 147, and I've definitely ruled out the 115 as too snappy for quick sight reacquisition... but I'm back and forth b/w 124 and 147.

Also, I imagine some manufacturers load "lighter" than others at a given weight (e.g. I hear Winchester White Box in 147 is very soft shooting - probably more so than AmEagle).

Any good recommendation for a reliable, soft shooting 9mm round?

Thanks,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most USPSA shooters reload their own ammo. There are two reasons for this, first you can customize the load to its max by trying different powders, charge weights, cartridge length, bullet profile, etc. Secondly, it is cheaper, even for the lowly 9mm. If you must buy it, then try out whatever you can find and see which one you like best. Also a few places load custom ammo for USPSA shooters.

If you are going to buy ammo, stay away from the defence loads, and go with "practice" loads. Personally I found that 147 are too slugish. I find myself waiting for the gun to finish its cycle. Note that most shooters really can't outrun most guns, myself included. However the slide does move slower and I find myself waiting for the sights to settle back down. I find it distracting but pleanty of people are ok with it. In 9mm I prefer 124gr heads over some really fast powder like titegroup or clays. I find that it splits the difference between the snap of the 115's and the relaxed stroll of the 147's.

On the other hand ... there are people winning the nationals with over the counter ammo. After a certain point the differences are not that big.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight on 124 vs 147, Vlad. I'll have to do some more testing... I'd like to get a few other brands into the mix too - any recommendations?

Regarding hand-loading, though, while Open and Limited Classes are dominated by hand-loaders, at the 2006 USPSA Nationals, 50% of Production Class shooters used over-the-counter ammo (according to the March/April issue of Front Sight).

Regardless, I would like to get into hand loading someday... but I'm sure it won't be for a few more years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
147's work for me.

I prefer 147 over 124's. I shoot IPSC and local fun matches. My M&P loves 147's, my EAA limited shoots 124 and 147 the same. I did change recoil spring in the EAA to an 8# one. Great with 147's on plates too. I haven't changed springs on the M&P yet, though I did get a s/s guide rod. I reload most of my ammo, but I just ordered some 147 jhp's from Atlanta Arms Ammo. They load for the Army Marksmanship Unit. I shot 3 5 round groups today and was impressed with the accuracy. They were $167 per thousand.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Keep in mind that the nationals are a strange bird. Flying with large ammounts of ammo gets tricky and people may prefer to buy ammo locally. Also USPSA started offering the Match Ammo program which meant that Precision Delta loaded to your specs and you picked it up at the match and it counted as factory ammo.

But yes, you are right, in production there are fewer reloaders then in any other divisions, and part of that is that it attracts new shooters who aren't always reloaders (yet). If you choose to buy your ammo do yourself a favor and save the brass. Even if you decide to never reload it, I'm sure someone will pay you to take it off your hands.

I can't recommend any particular factory loads because they never made sense for me, but I woud look at Precision Delta and see if their match ammo doesn't fit your requirements. They support the sport so we might a well support them back. Atlanta Arms does have a decent rep as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I shoot 115gr from American Eagle, MagTech and Independence. Sometimes I shoot Remington 147gr Subsonic (it's pretty expensive).

Depending on what gun you're shooting you might consider dropping the recoil spring rate. In a Glock 17 and M&P9 I use a Wolff steel guide rod and a Wolff 15lb recoil spring for a Glock 17 (fits both guns). I also use the reduced power striker spring in the Glock, so that the striker doesn't pull the slide out of battery slightly causing a light strike on the primer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gotm4 said:
Depending on what gun you're shooting you might consider dropping the recoil spring rate.
I actually just ordered a tungsten guide rod and some 11, 13, and 15 # springs to play with...

gotm4 said:
In a Glock 17 and M&P9 I use a Wolff steel guide rod and a Wolff 15lb recoil spring for a Glock 17 (fits both guns).
Isn't the stock recoil spring in the 9mm M&P 15# ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vlad said:
Keep in mind that the nationals are a strange bird. Flying with large ammounts of ammo gets tricky and people may prefer to buy ammo locally. Also USPSA started offering the Match Ammo program which meant that Precision Delta loaded to your specs and you picked it up at the match and it counted as factory ammo.
Yeah, that makes sense... although I think the article specifically broke down the production ammo used by Production Class shooters as almost half being Atlanta Arms & Ammo, and 19% being Winchester.

Vlad said:
I can't recommend any particular factory loads because they never made sense for me, but I woud look at Precision Delta and see if their match ammo doesn't fit your requirements. They support the sport so we might a well support them back. Atlanta Arms does have a decent rep as well.
I've never heard of Precision Delta, but I'll have to check them out. Also, I've been meaning to pick up some Atlanta Arms & Ammo for a while now - any suggestions on where to get it cheap? (Or do you buy from them direct?)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Xfactor said:
[quote name='gotm4']In a Glock 17 and M&P9 I use a Wolff steel guide rod and a Wolff 15lb recoil spring for a Glock 17 (fits both guns).

Isn't the stock recoil spring in the 9mm M&P 15# ?[/quote]

Yes, but a stock M&P9 15lb spring and a stock Glock 17, 17 spring feel entirely different. The Glock feels lighters. A Wolff Glock 17, 15lb spring feels A LOT lighter than a M&P9 15lb spring trust me. Even a stock Glock 17 plastic rod and 17lb spring feel lighter that the S&W metal and 15lb spring. Some of difference is in spring length.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting... I'm sure there's more to spring technology then just the # rating.

Can anyone advise how to buy Atlanta Arms ammo? (Also, which particular 9mm round in their lineup is the one of choice for USPSA Production comp?)

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I worked at Shooters Paradise I used to shoot the 147gr MATCH Subsonic load in a Glock 17 and 34. This was reloaded but to the same specs at ammo for Grandmaster USPSA shooters Phil Strader (former Shooters Paradise owner). It's loaded pretty soft.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gotm4 said:
...I used to shoot the 147gr MATCH Subsonic load... This was reloaded but to the same specs at ammo for Grandmaster USPSA shooters Phil Strader... It's loaded pretty soft.
This is what they list on their site...

Do you recall which one specifically it was that you liked?

Also, how do you buy from them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts