MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My co worker just purchased a 9mm compact M&P for off duty use. We issue either 147 g gold dot or 124+P gold dots. The weapon ran perfectly with the 147g, as well as blazer, cci round nose ammunition of various weights. The 124 g gold dots wold not feed. 1 or 2 rounds out of each magazine would hang up on the feed ramp. A good smack on the mag usually corrected this.

Has anyone here experienced this problem before?. Am I correct in assuming that the gun needs to have the feed ramp polished?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I've fired hundreds of rounds of 124gr +p Gold Dot through my M&P 9mm full size, so you can at least be confident it's not a systemic problem.

Does it happen with every magazine or just one mag? If it only happens with one mag, send the mag back to Smith for replacement.

Can you get your hands on some of the same ammo from a different lot number? It's possible there's something hinky with the rounds themselves. Probably not, but that would be a nice solution to the problem.

Failing that, I would send the gun back to S&W.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
What's wrong with carrying the 147 Gold Dots?

They cause HIV.

No, seriously there is nothing wrong with it. Some people believe that the heavy bullets are actually better. But the medium-weight +p rounds seem to have the best track record.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is nothing wrong with carrying 147 gr gold dots. There is something wrong with the gun, though. The 124 gr stuff works fine in all other 9mm pistols, sub guns that I have tried.

By the way, the malfunction occurs with all 3 mags

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Ok. I just wanted to get that question out of the way before this turns into a ballistics discussion.

(My highly scientific tests with the M&P 9mm compact show excellent results with the 147 Gold Dots.) :wink:

How many rounds through the pistol?

Does it hang up just during slide release, or while firing also?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The weapon has about 200 rounds through it. This has nothing to do with the slide stop. The malfunction is during feeding.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
He's asking if it fails to feed while using the slide release to chamber a round.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yes. I should have been more clear.

Is it hanging up just during the manual chambering of a round(using either the slide stop or sling shot method), or is it hanging up while firing the pistol also?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Interesting.

The first thing I would do is put the Gold Dots away.

Run about 500 additional rounds through it.

Then try those Gold Dots again. If they are still causing problems try some from another lot as ToddG stated.

If you are still having problems I would have someone knowledgeable polish the feedramp and chamber.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Also, take the barrel out of the pistol and look closely at the feedramp, chamber area, and locking lug area for any obvious problems. And look at the locking block in the frame for any obvious problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
mine does the same thing. but is getting better the more i fire it! a gun is not truly broken in unless there is atleast 500 rounds if not more IMHO.

G

·
0 Posts
I just purchased a fullsize 9mm and out of 200 rounds of S&B it had atleast 10 problems (shell stuck in the chamber) and the same ammo through my Glock17 and no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts