MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a new to me problem. I have 2 full size M&Ps. One in 40 the other in 9. They will serve different purposes.



The 40 is as accurate as I can be with absolutely no problems at all. The 9MM. on the other hand, is erratic with the shot grouping with three bullet weights I have tried.



I can not get consistent accuracy with this pistol. Both guns are set up the same, grip, trigger job, and sights. I can not see any physical reason for the problem and I am asking if anyone else is having this problem? I have been shooting for over 30 years and compete regularly. I really do not think it is me. I have had two other shooters try the gun and neither can get tight groups on paper.



Don't suggest I send it back as the label is on the way. I am just wondering if anyone has heard of maybe a bad batch of barrels?? I hope mine is the only one, but I thought I would ask.



Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Two ideas....one, make sure that the barrel on your 9mm isn't fouled with any copper or lead. Second, try using a different backstrap insert. I started shooting mine with the "Medium" insert, switched to the "Small" and my accuracy greatly improved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arizona Smithshooter said:
Two ideas....one, make sure that the barrel on your 9mm isn't fouled with any copper or lead. Second, try using a different backstrap insert. I started shooting mine with the "Medium" insert, switched to the "Small" and my accuracy greatly improved.


Thanks those things have been done but keep the ideas coming
I have even tried a different recoil spring to see if it makes a difference. (It made a big difference on the 40 but none here)



Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Ok here is one for you. Are the rear sights still stock. If they are see if you can see more of a gap on the 9mm where the rear sight sits on top of the slide compared to your .40. This being the most rear part. This may not account for it but we just found this problem on the weekend between the same. And the shooter is on this forum so he may add his comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scottr said:
Ok here is one for you. Are the rear sights still stock. If they are see if you can see more of a gap on the 9mm where the rear sight sits on top of the slide compared to your .40. This being the most rear part. This may not account for it but we just found this problem on the weekend between the same. And the shooter is on this forum so he may add his comments.


Thanks, Sights are Dawson Fiber optic front and wide cut rear. Just got my label so it will go back to S&W tomorrow to have the barrel checked. If the problem is ME I will know soon.



Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I had a similar problem with my M&P9. I tried several brands and weights of factory ammunition, and several of my handloads and could not get the dog gone thing to group. My dad bought one too and had the same problem. I shared this problem on the Enos Forum and one of the replies I got mentoined there was a batch of bad barrels. So, I sent the pistol back to S&W and a week later I got a pistol back that shot a lot better. Though they did not specify whether or not they replaced the barrel I assumed that is what they did. Now, with good ammunition the pistol will shoot right around 2 inches at 25 yards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,679 Posts
shrek1974 said:
I had a similar problem with my M&P9. I tried several brands and weights of factory ammunition, and several of my handloads and could not get the dog gone thing to group. My dad bought one too and had the same problem. I shared this problem on the Enos Forum and one of the replies I got mentoined there was a batch of bad barrels. So, I sent the pistol back to S&W and a week later I got a pistol back that shot a lot better. Though they did not specify whether or not they replaced the barrel I assumed that is what they did. Now, with good ammunition the pistol will shoot right around 2 inches at 25 yards.


What is the serial number prefix on those?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boot said:
Have you locked it down in a vice to check if it really is the weapon and not the shooters?


No, I am a pretty accurate shooter and I even had Master class shooters trying this so the vice was not necessary. If I was having problems with the 40 or any other gun I would think maybe it was me. That was not the case.



But as a follow up, I got it back from S&W today and the barrel was replaced. I will test it tomorrow if the weather clears.



As for service, with the work load they have right now and the fact they are short handed, I think the service was still good. This company stands behind their product and even sent it back with a mag.



Regards,
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top