MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just put a few boxes of Blazer Brass through my wife's EZ9 without any malfunctions. A lot of stovepipes are caused by the slide short cycling (limp wristing). Do you maintain a firm grip on the gun and lock your wrist?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Did you thoroughly clean it and then lube it before shooting?

How many rounds did you fire total?

Is it a problem you can repeat?

Can you pick up a box or two of Winchester White Box and try it? It’s cheap, but its reliable. Although I doubt its ammo or magazine related.

A lot of folks are having issues with the 380EZ. I figured it was just that the round didn’t have enough power to operate a gun that big. But we know the 9MM Shield works fine, so it might be something with the EZ.

I had to send my brand new Shield 40 back in. It would stovepipe on the 2nd round of each mag, but then finish the mag okay. They said the extractor was bad. They replaced it and polished the feed ramp. Sent it back and it was fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Did you thoroughly clean it and then lube it before shooting?

It has been to the range about 8 times and was cleaned and lubed before each session.

How many rounds did you fire total?

Around 400 total.

Is it a problem you can repeat?

This is the first time it failed.

Can you pick up a box or two of Winchester White Box and try it? It’s cheap, but its reliable. Although I doubt its ammo or magazine related.

I haven't shot WWB in this gun. It was the worst with the 380EZ. I suspect it is the flat nose.

A lot of folks are having issues with the 380EZ. I figured it was just that the round didn’t have enough power to operate a gun that big. But we know the 9MM Shield works fine, so it might be something with the EZ.

The 9MM EZ has been MUCH more reliable than the 380 EZ. I am hoping that this was just a one off or very infrequent issue.

I had to send my brand new Shield 40 back in. It would stovepipe on the 2nd round of each mag, but then finish the mag okay. They said the extractor was bad. They replaced it and polished the feed ramp. Sent it back and it was fine.
My 380 EZ failed frequently on the last round in magazines (live round stovepipe, as reported by many others). S&W finally replaced the gun and it is much better, but still does fail occasionally. I think it is a problem with the magazines. It is fixed with some indentations in the 9mm EZ magazines. There is not enough tension to hold the last round in place with the 380. I can make it much better if I occasionally stretch the mag springs.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My 380 EZ failed frequently on the last round in magazines (live round stovepipe, as reported by many others). S&W finally replaced the gun and it is much better, but still does fail occasionally. I think it is a problem with the magazines. It is fixed with some indentations in the 9mm EZ magazines. There is not enough tension to hold the last round in place with the 380. I can make it much better if I occasionally stretch the mag springs.
You have a lemon. That was what was wrong with your .380 and that was why S&W replaced it. If it was a magazine issue; S&W would send you new magazines. We have watched many people chase their tail on magazine/ammo issues.

These are Smith & Wesson handguns. Arguably the highest quality handguns in the marketplace today. They don’t have magazine issues that cause their handguns to fail, and they will digest all quality ammo. If they don’t do those things; they are broke. They will fix or replace guns that are broke.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a lemon. That was what was wrong with your .380 and that was why S&W replaced it. If it was a magazine issue; S&W would send you new magazines. We have watched many people chase their tail on magazine/ammo issues.

They sent me new springs and followers and it made it worse. They polished the feed ramp and it made no difference. The replacement gun has been much better, but did not eliminate the stovepipes. Since stretching the magazines temporarily stops the stovepipes, I don't think it is a problem with the gun. I think S&W knows that they have a problem with the 380 EZ magazines and that is why they modified the design for the 9mm mags. There is not enough spring tension to hold the last round in place, so it jumps out of the magazine and stovepipes.

These are Smith & Wesson handguns. Arguably the highest quality handguns in the marketplace today. They don’t have magazine issues that cause their handguns to fail, and they will digest all quality ammo. If they don’t do those things; they are broke. They will fix or replace guns that are broke.
Sorry, I think you are wrong about them not having magazine issues. Jerry Miculek did a review of the 9mm EZ and he talks about the design changes in the magazines to fix the issues that I have experienced with the 380 EZ.
They did replace my gun and there was some improvement, but it did not eliminate the problem. The problem is worse with certain ammo, especially flat nose rounds. Do a search on this forum and on YouTube. There a plenty of examples of others having the same issues with the 380 EZ.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sorry, I think you are wrong about them not having magazine issues. Jerry Miculek did a review of the 9mm EZ and he talks about the design changes in the magazines to fix the issues that I have experienced with the 380 EZ.
They did replace my gun and there was some improvement, but it did not eliminate the problem. The problem is worse with certain ammo, especially flat nose rounds. Do a search on this forum and on YouTube. There a plenty of examples of others having the same issues with the 380 EZ.
Well there you have it…problem solved. Have S&W send you the magazines with the new design; and it’s a non-issue.

·
Registered
341 Posts
They have not released redesigned magazines for the 380 EZ. I wrote to them a month ago and asked them if they plan to release new magazines for the 380 and it has been crickets.
I wonder what would happen if you didn’t tell them what you think the problem is, and just submitted a service request for a firearm that doesn’t work reliable enough for a carry gun?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

I put another 100 rounds of Blazer Brass through the 9mm EZ with no failures. One of guys at the range said that they have had several people who had failures when shooting their rental gun. He attributed it to limp wristing.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My wife put another 100 rounds through hers today. That's over 200 trouble free rounds so far. Very accurate gun. I was just about one-holing it at 7 yards with AE 124.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

My wife put another 100 rounds through hers today. That's over 200 trouble free rounds so far. Very accurate gun. I was just about one-holing it at 7 yards with AE 124.
Did you have to adjust the sights on your EZ? I had to push the rear sight to the right on my 9 EZ and my 380 EZ. The 380 had to be almost all the way to the right to accurately hit the target. My cousin's 9 EZ also had to be adjusted. I am quite sure that this isn't a "low and left" issue. (See the attached photo for my rear sight position on the 9mm)

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Did you have to adjust the sights on your EZ? I had to push the rear sight to the right on my 9 EZ and my 380 EZ. The 380 had to be almost all the way to the right to accurately hit the target. My cousin's 9 EZ also had to be adjusted. I am quite sure that this isn't a "low and left" issue. (See the attached photo for my rear sight position on the 9mm)
I presume you saw the screw that holds the rear sight in place. It's on the bottom side of the slide. No need to push it over. Loosen the screw and the rear sight will probably fall out. Mine was a little off center to the right when I got it but so was the front one, so it shot to POA. When I installed the fiber optic front sight, I perfectly centered it and then moved the rear one to match and put blue loc-tite on the screw. I tested it off of a pistol rest at 25 yards with AE 124 fmj and it shoots dead on and groups within 2.5-3 inches.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

I presume you saw the screw that holds the rear sight in place. It's on the bottom side of the slide. No need to push it over. Loosen the screw and the rear sight will probably fall out. Mine was a little off center to the right when I got it but so was the front one, so it shot to POA. When I installed the fiber optic front sight, I perfectly centered it and then moved the rear one to match and put blue loc-tite on the screw. I tested it off of a pistol rest at 25 yards with AE 124 fmj and it shoots dead on and groups within 2.5-3 inches.
I did use the screw that holds the rear sight. I just measured the front sight position and it is about 1mm to the right of center, which explains the need to adjust the rear sight. The front sight on the 380 EZ is not adjustable. It is held in place by a C clip. It can be rotated quite easily, which causes sighting to change if it is bumped at all. The rear sight on my 380 does not stay in place. I have tightened the screw VERY tight and it still moves after being shot and/or transported in a range bag. It is at S&W for service. I am hoping they can figure out why the sights are so squirrely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update

I had the gunsmith at the range center the front sight on my 9mm EZ. I then visually centered the rear sight. I tested it with my iTargetPro system at 20 feet using a laser cartridge. It was dialed perfectly. I then dialed my laser to hit the bullseye. After sighting the iron and laser sights independently, the laser is sitting dead center on top of the front sight post. I plan to confirm the sighting tomorrow at the range. I have been impressed with the iTargetPro system. My 9mm laser cartridge seems to be well centered. I am able to accurately hit the bullseye with all three of my 9mm pistols with this laser cartridge. The accuracy with live fire at the range has been very good after dialing it in with the laser.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The EZ for me is not EZ to buy. First the 380 with stove-pipes and ejecting the last live round and now the 9mm stove-piping. S&W quality control has made it very tough for me to buy a Shield EZ. I have absolutely no problems with my 9mm Shield, M&P9C or my M&P40C. But these are older guns. I hope you get this problem resolved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update

The EZ for me is not EZ to buy. First the 380 with stove-pipes and ejecting the last live round and now the 9mm stove-piping. S&W quality control has made it very tough for me to buy a Shield EZ. I have absolutely no problems with my 9mm Shield, M&P9C or my M&P40C. But these are older guns. I hope you get this problem resolved.
I doubt that I will have the same issues with the 9mm EZ that I have had with the 380 EZ. I have only had the one failure to eject, which is way different than the last round failure to feed stovepipes seen with the 380. I will post updates as I continue to shoot this gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.