MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already saw a couple threads on this mainly 4-5 months old. Are there any updates on the causes.

My issue has been with large grain, hence I assume longer round and flat nose rounds. Been an issue since day one.

I keep my mags loaded in between range trips. Maybe 200 rounds shot so far.

RSO today thought it was the feed ramp. May want to polish it. Not using any tools. But, he mentioned polishing compounds. Saw ones on-line like Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. Or, he even mentioned toothpaste. Seems like the hand polishing can take a lot of time.

I am wondering if at this point it is best just to send back to S&W and let them do it.

Didn't know if in the last few months any other topics on this have been discussed with any resolutions.

Thanks

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've shot many hundreds of rounds of 115 and 124 grain ammo through my wife's EZ9 and never had even one malfunction. I'll have to try 147 grain to see what it does.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and the blunt nose miss fed also.

RSO had me smack up on the bottom of the mag and round then loaded. Not sure if that is a clue to issue. Would think either ramp or ejector as it happens on 3 different mags.

I did email S&W and will send it in for repair. I want to use any round I would like to try, except +P.

My last contact with a S&W rep a couple of weeks ago had him tell me all rounds should shoot fine.

Kinda disappointing. But, an opportunity to learn more about my handgun and ammo.

My dry firing with a G-Sight laser has gone very well.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Already saw a couple threads on this mainly 4-5 months old. Are there any updates on the causes.

My issue has been with large grain, hence I assume longer round and flat nose rounds. Been an issue since day one.

I keep my mags loaded in between range trips. Maybe 200 rounds shot so far.

RSO today thought it was the feed ramp. May want to polish it. Not using any tools. But, he mentioned polishing compounds. Saw ones on-line like Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. Or, he even mentioned toothpaste. Seems like the hand polishing can take a lot of time.

I am wondering if at this point it is best just to send back to S&W and let them do it.

Didn't know if in the last few months any other topics on this have been discussed with any resolutions.

Thanks
Yes. If the pistol isn’t functioning reliably, call S&W, and send it in for warranty work.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I got my return label to send gun back. Need to go to FedEx Authorized Shipper.

Instructions say:

"For Express handgun shipments, use a FedEx Box (free of charge from a FedEx Customer Center) or a sturdy shipping box."

Should I do this. Or, box it myself. It will at least be in the S&W box that came with the gun. So, well protected. My concern is taking to FedEx in my S&W box and they just take it and say they will box it. I would want to see that done and get my receipt with tracking number before leaving. Don't know if they would do that while I wait. Especially if they have other customers in store.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Thanks, and the blunt nose miss fed also.

RSO had me smack up on the bottom of the mag and round then loaded. Not sure if that is a clue to issue. Would think either ramp or ejector as it happens on 3 different mags.

I did email S&W and will send it in for repair. I want to use any round I would like to try, except +P.

My last contact with a S&W rep a couple of weeks ago had him tell me all rounds should shoot fine.

Kinda disappointing. But, an opportunity to learn more about my handgun and ammo.

My dry firing with a G-Sight laser has gone very well.
That’s indicative of a weak recoil spring to me.
I git my return label to send gun back. Need to go to FedEx Authorized Shipper.

Instructions say:

"For Express handgun shipments, use a FedEx Box (free of charge from a FedEx Customer Center) or a sturdy shipping box."

Should I do this. Or, box it myself. It will at least be in the S&W box that came with the gun. So, well protected. My concern is taking to FedEx in my S&W box and they just take it and say they will box it. I would want to see that done and get my receipt with tracking number before leaving. Don't know if they would do that while I wait. Especially if they have other customers in store.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
Yes, they will.

I take mine to the local pack n ship place, and have them put it in one of their boxes along with the styrofoam peanuts and attach the return shipping label. I have to pay for the box and packing material, but it beats have to drive further to a FedEx or UPS hub.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rick M

My FedEx is close and it is a FedEx Return label. I am thinking I will box it myself. And, attach Return Label. I just didn’t like the idea of leaving the gun in the S&W box with them. And, not seeing it being boxed and sealed before. I left store.

6 to 8 weeks is a long time. May have to rent a gun at range. Don’t want to go that long with out firing a gun.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S&W just received my 9EZ yesterday. Anyone have any RECENT return times. Hoping 6-8 weeks is just their standard reply.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my 9EZ back from S&W today. Just under 4 weeks.

They replaced the barrel. Hope it is a new one. Assume they did that because they saw a feed ramp issue. But, they didn't elaborate.

Feed ramp doesn't look overly polished. They fired it, but don't know what grain they used.

Got to get to the Range now and try the 147 grain and the blunt nose rounds that weren't feeding.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Got my 9EZ back from S&W today. Just under 4 weeks.

They replaced the barrel. Hope it is a new one. Assume they did that because they saw a feed ramp issue. But, they didn't elaborate.

Feed ramp doesn't look overly polished. They fired it, but don't know what grain they used.

Got to get to the Range now and try the 147 grain and the blunt nose rounds that weren't feeding.
Let us know how it functions now.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do. Gonna start with my 115 grain blunt nose and work up to the 147 that never worked.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, got back from range for first time since gettin gun back from S&W. New barrel only. Put about 150 rounds thru it.

I started out with 3 fully loaded mags of Winchester 9mm Lugar 115g flat nose FMJ. Have 3 boxes of them I bought by mistake. They were hanging a lot before I sent gun back. The first two to four rounds would not feed. Hung on front lip of the feed ramp. I could see the round pointing down below start of ramp when I pulled slide back to load round. After the first round load and during shooting I had to slap bottom of mag to get them to load. Not sure of correct name for this happening. After two to four rounds, gun shot fine.

Went thru almost two boxes of 50ea.

Tried Winchester 147g JHP. Same issue. These hardly worked at all before barrel replacement. But, they too shot ok after the first few rounds of mag were fired.

I then tried Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Lugar 115g FTX rounds. They hung a little before. Today only the first two hung then ok. Reloaded a full mag and they all shot ok.

On my first ever range trip after buying gun all the round nose 115g range ammo shot fine. Wasn't until second trip with flat nose and 147g did the issues start.

Sure seems like the mag springs are a issue. But, no expert by any means.

I will shoot more with sticking with round nose range ammo and mixing in my Hornady.

At some point may have to re-call S&W.

Or get a different gun. I like the EZ. Recoil, fit, easy racking is ideal for me at 70 and with very arthritic hands. I asked to try a 2.0 shield from rental case just to rack it. Very hard for me. Not impossible though.

I am not a high volume shooter. So, if the round nose range 115g and the Hornady 115g work well. I may keep it.

But, having a 90% working gun for home defense seems wrong.

Any thoughts--

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
That really sucks. Spending that much money in ammo trying to figure out what will work best; is should not matter.

I have heard that the XDE (Springfield) is easy to rack. I bought the EZ because of weakness in my hands.

If S&W knows there are issues with specific ammo grains, they should place a disclosure on the box/advertisement. So far I cannot shoot ANY HP ammo so the gun is useless for CC.

I will patiently wait for mine, which is expected to get back to me by the end of SEPTEMBER!!!!

My first S&W purchase will be my last S&W purchase.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sympathize with you. Gonna give it maybe 3 more range trips and one more time to S&W then start looking for a different gun. Hope not to have to do that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Take your magazines apart and check the followers for any slight burrs. My wife has the 380 ez and one of her mags had a follower that hung up and wouldn't feed the last round. I took the mag apart and found a little burr on the follower and sanded it off. Now it runs smoothly. Not sure this will solve your problem but if the mag is not feeding the round up properly it will hang on the feed ramp.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Rangerman

Not sure I could do that. Afraid of screwing something up. But, it is on 3 different mags bought at different places.

I would think by now S&W would know the issue. I didn’t understand their reason in just replacing the barrel. Feed ramp obviously. But, what would be wrong with it.

I cleaned it today and started using Balistol on barrel to include feed ramp. Not sure if it’s lubricating properties will help. If good enough for Hickok, good enough for me. Lol.

I also had some 600 grit paper I used on feed ramp

I will say when I racked the regular 2.0 Shield today at range and found it hard, I did not correctly push the frame as opposed to just pulling the slide. Saw that online for folks with weaker hands for whatever reason. Maybe a Shield 2.0 would work for me.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got back from range. Shot another 100+ rounds. Got my first bulls eye---:)

Groups were fairly good and some were in a 4-5 inch circle. Still a little low/left. But, not as bad. Working on trigger pull.

As far as the FTF's--

I shot a box of the 1115g flat nose I had a lot of problems with and only 2 or 3 hung at feed ramp. First mag only. And just the first few rounds. Rest all fired fine. Shot a few of my Hornady Critical Defense 115g FTX. All fine.

Finished up with standard Federal and Blazer 115g round nose. No issues.

I don't know if I want to buy and try a box of 124g. I don't need to shoot anything but 115g for my needs.

So, not sure if the gun is just breaking in. If they even do that. Or, me starting to use the Balistol and polishing the feed ramp with the sandpaper helped. I read that Balistol leaves a coating and keeps things slick. Per Hickok45. Not sure how true it is.

So, it could have been any one of the things I did. Or, a combination.

I will keep using the Balistol on the barrel/feedramp and polish it occasionally. Assume I shouldn't do it every time I clean the gun.

Anyway, very happy with the progress on eliminating FTF's and my accuracy. Enjoyable to shoot again---

Thanks for all the advice--

·
Registered
32 Posts
Best of luck; I hope it improves with use.

Me? I only have a couple boxes of 115gr and the rest is 124 and 147 - both in SD and regular. I will not own a gun I cannot switch up ammo with. I know I sound picky, but there is no disclosure from S&W about different grain ammo, ONLY steel case and +P+. I won't use either, for any gun.

I will patienly wait for S&W to return my EZ and then try it again but I refuse to waste as much ammo as I did in the past; hoping it will get better.

I am not certain, but the XDE supposedly has an easier rack, 27% easier than their others. I may take a look at that one. I used to have a XDM that ate everything but the stiff rack kept getting harder on these hands and I gave it to my son. The XDE maybe someting for me to look at.

All I want is a safe, dependable ECD for SD (that I can rack); not something that has FTF and jamming issues.
Is that too much to ask for?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not too much to ask for at all. I have thought about Carry. But, probably not. Depends how how this political crap plays out. I am not in a big city area.

I don't care on the grain. But, if it continues to get better may break down and get some 124g. Round nose or maybe HP. I can quickly go thru a box if needed to get rid of it. I just smack the bottom of the mag.

Good luck on yours when you get it back. Hopefully sooner than later.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts