MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I went into Shoot Point Blank today to get two more mags. Just my luck they were putting out a shipment of 9mm 115g. 14.00 a box. Bought 8. I don’t buy bulk. May never use it all. So, for me this was a good buy. Probably last a year. Maybe—

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've read that cutting a"step" in your follower will fix feeding problem. Haven't tried it, I've not had any problem with my .380 ez. View attachment 17575 View attachment 17576
Would this position the top of the ammo slightly upward (more angled) so it may not hang on the feeding ramp? It may work if the front of the follower is high enough to allow the ammo to clear the ramp. Interesting. I am thinking it would be evenbetter if they came out with a new follower that had that design but with a higher point. SImilar to the picture buyt rather than cut that back (lower), build up the front.

If so, that would be an easy fix for S&W for future sales.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It’s not an ammo problem. And if it was I would sell the gun. It’s pretty sad when you send it back because it malfunctions and when you get it back it still malfunctions.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just got done at the range. Shot 64 rounds of round nose. I was thinking my issues was flat nose and higher grain. But, today most of the first two to three rounds hung on feed ramp. Some went to the fourth round. After that, rest of mag fired fine. This is with 4 different mags. It was Rangeline ammo. Initially all Winchester rounds were fine. These are all 115g now. I shot a box of Blazer last time and no issue. Still lightly polishing feed ramp when I clean gun. My last couple mags fired ok. I doubt things have to “warm” up.

I bought 8 boxes of Selliet Bellot and will try them next. Can’t find Winchester right now.

Very disappointing. I can’t seem to figure it out. Seems like a mag issue with weak springs that the EZ has. But, I don’t really know about this stuff. Hate to send gun back again.

Someone had their extractor replaced by S&W and that fixed their issue. Maybe if it goes back they will do that. I will call them next time before sending it in. And, insist they fire a couple mags thru it before returning.

Not skilled enough to mess with mag has some have done.

Gonna keep firing different brands for now. Maybe I can find some more Winchester. Will try some more of my Critical Defense ammo. It did fine last time. Hope it still does. That is what I keep loaded in one mag for home defense.

Hope I get this sorted out.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am going to call S&W and see if they actually have any idea since they already had my gun. Will continue to get more rounds thru it. Then press for a new gun if necessary. I will send it back one more time before I do that. After that look for a different gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine does it (gets stuck on ramp) with steel case ammo only and 50% or so each mag., it shoots brass, aluminum fine. A friend just got one and it shoots everything fine. We are meeting Wed. and I'm going to try using her magazines then recoil spring and if needed the barrel to see if mine will run. Then I will contact S&W.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Dumb question from a noob. But, how do you tell brass from steel. Just the color I assume. All mine are brass colored. So, assume they are brass. Rangeline I used last. Misfeeds. Blazer I shot and they all shot fine. Gonna try some Sellier and Bellot next time.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dumb question from a noob. But, how do you tell brass from steel. Just the color I assume. All mine are brass colored. So, assume they are brass. Rangeline I used last. Misfeeds. Blazer I shot and they all shot fine. Gonna try some Sellier and Bellot next time.
A magnet is another option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use Wolf and TulAmmo alot for practice. It says on the box steelcase. As Super Trucker said a magnet is a good way to tell though if it doesn't say on the box.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok thanks guys. I just assumed brass ammo is brass colored and steel is grey. Wasn’t sure if there were exceptions.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Ok thanks guys. I just assumed brass ammo is brass colored and steel is grey. Wasn’t sure if there were exceptions.
There are. Freedom Munitions (FM) makes (or made) brass plated steel cased ammo, in addition to their brass cased ammo, and the head-stamp on both cases is identical.

When they came out with that ammo, I started keeping a magnet next to my press, so I could check any FM cases before reloading them. Visually; they’re identical.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Got it. Thanks Rick. I did some research and never found that info.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine does it (gets stuck on ramp) with steel case ammo only and 50% or so each mag., it shoots brass, aluminum fine. A friend just got one and it shoots everything fine. We are meeting Wed. and I'm going to try using her magazines then recoil spring and if needed the barrel to see if mine will run. Then I will contact S&W.
I don't shoot steel, ever. Had bad experiences with steel.

Have you tried different grains and defensive ammo? Mine will shoot 95% of time ok with 115gr FMJ. GO to a 125 gr and it starts to get caught om the ramp, jump up to `147gr and it is FTF 50%. Use defensive ammo and FTF even more.

I did not buy gun to be a plinking piece but more of an EDC for me. Not acceptable for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know some folks don't like steel and that's fine. I have shot it since the mid 90's for practice with no issues. My EZ shoots everything else with no issues regardless of weight. I just want to figure out why it doesn't like the steel and with my friends gun and swapping some parts I think I can figure it out.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Is there anything I can do to the top of the follower or feed lips to help with the feeding issue?

Silicon etc.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I am off for a week and will take the gun to the range a few times. Not sure anything will change and I will have to send it back AGAIN. I have not fired it since I lubed the top of follower and feed lips. Very lightly and wiped clean. Did only one mag. Doubt that is going to help.

I am thinking of buying another gun. I find the EZ very easy to rack. So, I think I can handle a regular M&P. Will need a mag loader though. Was looking at a M&P9 Compact 4 inch barrel. Seems like they are not out there to buy. I would need to handle one first. I have seen slide locks on other M&P's very hard to release. Maybe the 3.6 is more readily available.

Gonna hit some gun shops tomorrow. Having arthritis in my hands, do you guys think this is a good choice. Or, is there a better one. I don't like the subcompacts. And may want to add a flashlight on rail.

I don't want to send the EZ back and have no gun for another 6 weeks. And, don't want to wait till the 4 inch is back in stock.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did not get to shoot with my friends (9ez) last week and interchange some parts with mine to see what the problem is with mine, but we are meeting tomorrow and hopefully I will have some answers. I have a M&P9 2.0 4inch and love it. Its my edc. I too have problem with my left hand thumb joint area that hurts pretty bad at times and sometimes I find the 2.0 difficult to rack at times, not impossible.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts