MP-Pistol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks Branded for the reply. I shot a rental Shield at my Range before I bought the EZ. I seemed to do ok. Even with the bad arthritis. Since then I watched a video on pushing the frame forward as opposed to just pulling the slide back. Kinda like when I used higher pounded bows. When I decide to buy something I get frustrated when it is not available. Gonna see what M&P’s are in my local gun shop’s tomorrow. I like what I have seen on the 9 Compact 4 inch.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I did not get to shoot with my friends (9ez) last week and interchange some parts with mine to see what the problem is with mine, but we are meeting tomorrow and hopefully I will have some answers. I have a M&P9 2.0 4inch and love it. Its my edc. I too have problem with my left hand thumb joint area that hurts pretty bad at times and sometimes I find the 2.0 difficult to rack at times, not impossible.
Look for info about using the “push-pull” method of racking a pistol slide; that should provide you with the strength and relief that you need to rack the slide on your pistol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am off for a week and will take the gun to the range a few times. Not sure anything will change and I will have to send it back AGAIN. I have not fired it since I lubed the top of follower and feed lips. Very lightly and wiped clean. Did only one mag. Doubt that is going to help.

I am thinking of buying another gun. I find the EZ very easy to rack. So, I think I can handle a regular M&P. Will need a mag loader though. Was looking at a M&P9 Compact 4 inch barrel. Seems like they are not out there to buy. I would need to handle one first. I have seen slide locks on other M&P's very hard to release. Maybe the 3.6 is more readily available.

Gonna hit some gun shops tomorrow. Having arthritis in my hands, do you guys think this is a good choice. Or, is there a better one. I don't like the subcompacts. And may want to add a flashlight on rail.

I don't want to send the EZ back and have no gun for another 6 weeks. And, don't want to wait till the 4 inch is back in stock.

Thanks
I looked at the Springfield Armory XDE and it is very nice. It is easy to rack (not as easy as the EZ, but close IMO). They advertise the racking to be 27% easier and when I tried it, it was very noticeable. I like Springfield Armory. I had a XDm but had to get rid of it because I had trouble racking it.

I wish I dd more research before I bought the S&W EZ. I am not happy with it and am not hesitant about leting people know.

If I ever get mine back, I will take a hit and likely sell it and buy the XDE.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I hope it comes back working 100% for you!

I really wanted to stay S&W. So, I found and bought a new Shield 9mm. Nice size if I ever CC.

I took it and the EZ to the Range today expecting the EZ to have FTF's like before. As I mentioned a post or so back, I had put some Balistol on top of the Follower and under the Feed Lips of one Mag. Wiped it all off with a cloth so as to have only the slightest film there. Wasn't expecting it to help.

I shot that Mag first and it had no FTF's. I thought great, maybe the lube helped and I was expecting the other Mags to have FTF's. They didn't. All 5 Mags were flawless. My next two thoughts were--1. Oh, great I just bought a new gun for no reason. 2. My EZ heard I was sending her back to S&W and didn't want to go. lol

I have no qualms on a second gun. Backup is nice in case anything does go wrong with one of them.

The Shield shot great. No firing issues and I plan on throwing higher grain into it to see how I like them. I will stay with 115g in the EZ and not temp fate. Going back tomorrow to see if my good fortune holds on the EZ. Maybe I won't have to send it back. May lube the other Mag Followers.

On the Shield, I had no issue with my Arthritis racking the slide using the push/pull method that I saw online. The slide is a little sticky sliding it off and back on the frame after I break the gun down for cleaning. Which I did before shooting it. As, it still had the manufacturing lubricants on it. The Recoil Spring is obviously harder to put back in. But, I will get better at that.

The only problem I thought was going to be a concern was the Slide Release. Very, Very stiff. Have read about this. When I put the slide back on after disassembly and wanted to lock the slide back to push the Take Down Lever back up it was very hard to lock the slide back. And, once done, very hard to pull back the slide to release the Slide Release to go back into Battery. But, finally after a few Mags, I was able to load a Mag and pull back the slide and let it snap forward. So, I think this will improve with a few hundred rounds. Otherwise, operating it was not an issue even with my Arthritis.

Will keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Good deal, Sir!

I’ve owned two 9mm Shields; a standard and a Performance Center one. I sold the first, as I knew I’d never shoot it again after getting the PC one. Both were completely reliable, and quite accurate.

It’s my go-to carry gun when the back’s out.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks Rick

They had several Shields including a PC one. It looked really nice. Just didn’t want to spend any more money on a second gun for now. Looking forward to trying higher grains in the Shield though.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Thanks Rick

They had several Shields including a PC one. It looked really nice. Just didn’t want to spend any more money on a second gun for now. Looking forward to trying higher grains in the Shield though.
The highest weight 9mm ammo I’ve ever shot was some 135gr Wilson Combat I got along with some of their other loads to use for a review I was writing on their full sized ACP 1911 in 9mm. It functioned flawlessly, as did everything else they provided.

Anyway; I’ve always used 115gr 9mm for both range and carry. I do know a few folks who use 147gr 9mm to shoot IDPA, and it works well for them. I’m pretty sure that the heavier recoil and mag springs in your Shield 9 will allow it to function very well compared to your lightly sprung EZ model.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Pretty sure on that too. I won’t put anything over 115g in it for now. May even try a +P in the Shield for fun. I am using 115g Hornady CD in the EZ. Maybe run same brand 124g in the Shield for my CD. I only have 4 Mags for it now. The 7 and 8 round ones it came with. Bought two more eight rounds at a gun shop. Last ones they had. I saw Palmetto Armory had some. The gun store where I bought the Shield at recommended them. So, assume they are reliable. May order two from them. I like the 8 round Mags as I get more of my small finger on the grip compared to the 7 round one.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I load a seven round mag for carry, and carry two eight rounders for reloads.

I have the one seven round Shield mag, and 7-8 eight round ones that I use for BUG matches.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My other two 8 round mags are coming tomorrow from Palmetto Armory. That gives me 7 mags for each gun. Enough for me to load and take to Range.

My second trip to the Range yesterday with both guns went well too. Shot 5 mags of the EZ with only one FTF. I can live with that for now. And, maybe it will continue to do better.

The Shield shot fine again. I am doing what I can on working on the very stiff recoil spring. Cycling it numerous times in a row. And, locking the slide back over night. I know it will loosen up a little in time.

The slide “lock”, I know it is not a release on this gun, was an issue. But, I did a little polishing and it Is working better. I don’t need it as a release. And, don’t want to polish it down too much.

The only issue, which should improve over time, is when I reassemble after cleaning. When I put slide back on and lock it back to then slide the take down lever back up, it is hard to push slide back that little amount to let slide lock fall back down and have slide return to battery. That’s more my arthritic hands then the slide or slide lock. But, as it gets a little easier over time that should not stay an issue.

I go again on Monday to the Range. Got some 147g JHP defense ammo today. Looking forward to trying it in the Shield.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I finally got to shoot and change out the recoil spring with my friends still FTF. Used her magazine still had FTF. Went back to my parts and mags with a couple FTF's. I can say where it was about 50% of each mag it was only one or two. I have probably 3 or 4 hundred rds through it so far maybe the more I shoot it the better it will be. I read in the S&W forum that folks were polishing/cleaning up the feed lips on the magazines and are having good results. I will try that and just keep shooting, its not my edc, but it is disappointing being its a S&W. Again mine is only doing it with steel case ammo. I'll report back after polishing/cleaning/smoothing the feed lips on the mags.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I finally got to shoot and change out the recoil spring with my friends still FTF. Used her magazine still had FTF. Went back to my parts and mags with a couple FTF's. I can say where it was about 50% of each mag it was only one or two. I have probably 3 or 4 hundred rds through it so far maybe the more I shoot it the better it will be. I read in the S&W forum that folks were polishing/cleaning up the feed lips on the magazines and are having good results. I will try that and just keep shooting, its not my edc, but it is disappointing being its a S&W. Again mine is only doing it with steel case ammo. I'll report back after polishing/cleaning/smoothing the feed lips on the mags.
Is it possible the ammo lacquer they use is what is causing the jams/FTF? I have read that on a number of occasions. That may be why S&W says not to use it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's very possible. I'm going to keep trying stuff and see if mine can be corrected since its kinda of a show folks pistol. If not may end up selling or trading it.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Just got back from the Range. Shot 4 Mags with the EZ. First two, no FTF's. Third had two FTF's back to back from middle of Mag. Fourth Mag no issues. I will still keep firing the EZ for a few months before deciding what to do. Will still, very lightly, lube the feed lips and top of follower. And light polish feed ramp. Seemed to help. But, I just use Balistol, not a heavier oil. And, I wipe it off real good.

The Shield shot perfect and accurate. I shot 7 Mags. Two of them 147g HP. Very smooth. Really like the gun. No issue racking it to shoot after loading a new Mag. My biggest issue is in pulling the slide back "ALL" the way when reassembling. A little tight still when doing that to get slide to go back to battery. Would have liked a working Slide Release. But, I think it is continuing to get easier.

All in all, good Range visit.

Going Wednesday again. Probably won't clean the guns, with only 55 rounds or less thru each one. "Thoughts"?

But, will at least lightly lube the feed lips and top of follower.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Is it possible the ammo lacquer they use is what is causing the jams/FTF? I have read that on a number of occasions. That may be why S&W says not to use it.
I don’t think it’s being realistic to expect a gun to reliably shoot steel cased ammo when the manufacturer advises not to use it.

I bought two boxes of Tulammo steel cased ammo 15 years ago. I shot part of one box, stopped, and gave the other box away. I’m not putting that crap in any of my pistols.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don’tnthink it’s being realistic to expect a gun to reliably shoot steel cased ammo that the manufacturer advises not to use it.

I bought two boxes of Tulammo steel cased ammo 15 years ago. I shot part of one box, stopped, and gave the other box away. I’m not putting that crap in any of my pistols.
I tried it years ago and gave away 80% of.... never again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Got back from the Range earlier today. Shot 4 Mags thru the EZ with no FTF’s. But, one Stovepipe. Never had that happen before. Shields 7 round Mag still doesn’t seat on first try. But, I think that is common based on what I have read in other Threads.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Got back from the Range earlier today. Shot 4 Mags thru the EZ with no FTF’s. But, one Stovepipe. Never had that happen before. Shields 7 round Mag still doesn’t seat on first try. But, I think that is common based on what I have read in other Threads.
Guess Stovepipe is wrong name. The whole round was standing straight up out of gun’s ejection port.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts