MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Both the .380 and 9mm EZ are really fun guns to shoot. However, both of them have had an awful lot of feeding and "stovepipe" problems. I have the .380EZ and enjoy it a lot. It has random stovepipe FTF problems that are not related to any specific magazine. It "just happens," sometimes and/or sometimes not in a shooting session of around 50 or more rounds. Because of not being totally reliable, I would never use it as a SD gun, either carry or for home.

That is my experience and my opinion only.

Reactions: Notary

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wifes ez works great. There was a long thread on the failure of the ez. There was a fix given for the magazine that was supposed to fix the ftf and fte.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a Shield 9mm 1.0 for edc before I retired after 37 years in law enforcement.
In the 7 years I've had it, I've fired almost 5,000 rds through it, used this pistol to introduce over a dozen people to shooting, and have had ONE "Fail to feed".

The ONLY handguns I ever carried that were 100% reliable were a pair of Glocks and my Beretta 92.

My Beretta has over 20,000 rds through it and never, not once, did it fail to go bang, eject and then reload.

That little Shield is a close second.

Other folks have obviously had different experiences but this has been mine.

They are after all, implements designed to perform a specific function. Maintenance and proper usage are critical. But they are still implements, subject to manufacturing errors.

My advice; read all the advice then rent before you buy if possible.

Enjoy the journey!

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought a Shield 9mm 1.0 for edc before I retired after 37 years in law enforcement.
In the 7 years I've had it, I've fired almost 5,000 rds through it, used this pistol to introduce over a dozen people to shooting, and have had ONE "Fail to feed".
Smith did NO ONE a favor by naming that M&P EZ a Shield. It is absolutely NOT a Shield! It is giving the actual Shield a bad name and is misleading people into thinking they are getting a Shield that is easier to rack, load, etc.

First: The EZ is a lot larger than the real Shield. Also: It IS the M&P styling with the same take down system and type of grip, etc. With its grip safety it presents totally different challenges, but it is a good thing for teaching HIGH AND TIGHT grip muscle memory because if that grip is not firmly and fully depressed the gun will not shoot.

I like my .380 EZ. It is fun to shoot and it definitely is EZ to use. It is not reliable enough for me to ever consider it as a carry gun or home SD gun. It is a fun range toy. From what I have read about the 9mm EZ the same things can be said. Note that some (probably a lot of) people report shooting many hundreds of rounds through their EZ's with nary a problem. The fact remains that way too many of us have had recurring problems, with some being worse than others.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I cannot blame anyone for my decision to buy the EZ because I did not do a thorough research on the problems people have had. I read that "some" were having issues but the majority said it was great. After I bought it and experienced so many FTF, I dug deeper into the topic and found a large number of people having trouble. The bigger problem is the FACT that many have returned their gun to S&W to have worked on and STILL the problem persisted.

S&W knows there is a problem and they seemingly cannot fix it. That is a major major concern of mine. As I have stated, once I get it back I will check it out and if it does not work, it will go back. If it does seem good, I will sell it and buy something more reliable.

With the price of ammo today, it is shameful that I have to spend 50 bucks or more to see if a S&W works AFTER they send it back from repair.

Thanks for listeing to my vent.....again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I cannot blame anyone for my decision to buy the EZ because I did not do a thorough research on the problems people have had.
I emphasize with you! I've been there and done that also! If I had known in advance what I know now about the Ruger Mark IV Lite I would never have bought it. I my case, I decided to spend the extra $200 and untold hours of my time and hubby's time, and kept the gun. Part of that decision (silly me) was that a good friend made a beautiful black leather "almost cowboy style" holster, customized to my needs and my body "curves" and I felt I should do everything possible to keep the gun and make it work.

I won't "mention" a couple other guns that I bought on impulse because those have long since been traded in for others that actually worked for me - at a financial loss. Education can be expensive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey folks,
When I replied earlier I did the one thing that annoys me when other people do it;I didn't read the whole message first and completely missed that the OP was talking about the EZ variant rather than the original Shield.
My apologies

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
missed that the OP was talking about the EZ variant rather than the original Shield.
You did make my point that the EZ is not a Shield! By calling it a Shield, people are led astray by Smith, expecting the same reliability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts